Why world maps deserve their place in RPG.

#21SigmaHacielPosted 2/7/2013 5:50:11 PM
FishermanFriend posted...
naaros posted...
I love world maps in JRPGs, but I don't feel like it's required or even count it as a penalty if they don't have one.

One recent example would be Xenoblade - with the way that game is structured and the setting, a world map really wouldn't work all that well imo. So the way they did it - huge areas to explore - with no world map was perfect.

These are my thoughts exactly. It's nice when it's there, but it's not a game changer if it isn't. For example, if this game lacked a world map but had a better combat system I think the game would be a million times better.

DS version says hi.

You know, what this game basically took everything from. Which is why Japan isn't too happy-joyjoy about this game.
#22DboyC83(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 5:55:00 PM
I agree, whilst it is not necessary, a well done world map makes the world even more cohesive. But a truly continuous world has to have logical (to some extent) geographical regions that make the world feaseable. I really liked Phantasy Star planetary approach to the world map, where a world could be pretty one dimensional but the system itself is greatly varied.

While mass effect had a world map per planet, on the other hand, it didn't achieve an enhanced level of immersion. Mainly because it was so empty.

There are definitely components to a world map and the right blend of goodies in NNKs makes it a delight to explore (at least once). The side effect is that this fantasy world has a reality of its own.
---
FACT: this is not an opinion.
#23FishermanFriendPosted 2/7/2013 6:00:41 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...
FishermanFriend posted...
naaros posted...
I love world maps in JRPGs, but I don't feel like it's required or even count it as a penalty if they don't have one.

One recent example would be Xenoblade - with the way that game is structured and the setting, a world map really wouldn't work all that well imo. So the way they did it - huge areas to explore - with no world map was perfect.

These are my thoughts exactly. It's nice when it's there, but it's not a game changer if it isn't. For example, if this game lacked a world map but had a better combat system I think the game would be a million times better.

DS version says hi.

You know, what this game basically took everything from. Which is why Japan isn't too happy-joyjoy about this game.

How different is this game from the DS version?
#24LeanaunfurledPosted 2/7/2013 6:02:04 PM
DS version says hi.

I thought it was because they weren't willing to pay twice for a game that was very very similar to one they already bought a year prior.

But hey w/e.
---
Not removing this sig until Bravely Default:Flying Fairy is localized.
http://i.imgur.com/atFfl36.png
#25FoofyheadPosted 2/7/2013 6:03:06 PM
I believe it ends after defeating Shadar, for one. Also, it looks like the battles are actually turn-based.

I don't consider the PS3 battles to be turn-based...
---
Is this...a declaration of independence?
#26JuanZoloPosted 2/7/2013 6:16:04 PM
DualShooter23 posted...
Very well said.

---
If the doors of perception were to be cleansed, everything would appear as it truly is-Infinite.
#27shadowsfmPosted 2/7/2013 6:17:55 PM
Foofyhead posted...
I believe it ends after defeating Shadar, for one. Also, it looks like the battles are actually turn-based.

saying the battles aren't turn based in this game is like saying final fantasy 4 and up aren't turn based
#28Thanatos2kPosted 2/7/2013 6:18:48 PM
DS version says hi.

I'd rather get the PS3 version than the DS version.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#29FishermanFriendPosted 2/7/2013 6:20:57 PM
shadowsfm posted...
Foofyhead posted...

saying the battles aren't turn based in this game is like saying final fantasy 4 and up aren't turn based

Is that so? Would you be so kind to explain to the ignorant how this games battle system IS turn based?
#30LeanaunfurledPosted 2/7/2013 6:24:54 PM(edited)

That's..a really dumb statement, tbh. V - XIII have nothing in common with NNK in terms of combat. Those are painfully obviously turn-based systems. NNK doesn't have a turn-based system. There's no gauge to fill, there's no waiting, you move where you want, you can jump over attacks when timed correctly, you can defend last minute, cancel mid-attack to do something else, switch out whenever you want, interrupt enemies, etc.

Or are you another person who thinks individual options having a cooldown = turn based?
---
Not removing this sig until Bravely Default:Flying Fairy is localized.
http://i.imgur.com/atFfl36.png