Ni No Kuni.. More like Filler: The Game.

#51Thanatos2kPosted 2/8/2013 2:30:44 PM
I'm still wondering what the heck the wand was supposed to look like with those huge balls in it. A mace!?
---
-Thanatos2k-
#52ObsceneAnarchy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 5:07:36 AM
Im now 23 hours into the game now. About to go after some Sky Pirates. The more I play the more the topic title of this thread becomes less of an exaggeration. Starting to lose the feel. Hope something amazing happens soon.
---
Brawl #: 2019-9336-9320
#53GodSlayer66Posted 2/9/2013 6:44:26 AM
NewMoonShadow posted...
Blame the modern standard where a game has to have more than 50 hours of content before it's considered to be a "real RPG".

I thought the modern standard was exactly the opposite...
---
This post is now 20% cooler.
#54AeizzahPosted 2/9/2013 7:29:02 AM
NewMoonShadow posted...
Ivajosh10 posted...
furrybeavers posted...
DDR Midian posted...
Fixing hearts is simplicity to the point of insult. Not only are you told very specifically what to do, the piece of heart you need is almost always in the exact same area, glowing brightly on the minimap. There's absolutely no thinking required, no exploration, no strategy and only the thinnest amount of story behind each encounter. It's everything an RPG shouldn't be.

The rest of the game is fine.

You can turn off the glow and the objective markers. People complain just for the sake of complaining. Grow up.

People forget that the game is designed for children but the challenging options are there for those that want it, that's why I'm loving this game.

Turning off the mini-map glow doesn't increase challenge, it just increases the tediousness of having to now run around and examine EVERYBODY looking for the one person who has a Piece of Heart for you to take. It just makes a simple task take longer than it needs to.

the point is, as what furrybeavers said. people like to complain. 1st no challenging, but if we turn off the marker, and now increase tedious of running around. and continuously will be.

while i agree, the game lacks story. lacks deep development, lacks voice acting. but yeah the game is more appropriate for children in the 1st place.
what people need to do is being appreciative, in my opinion
#55GoGoRoBoPosted 2/9/2013 9:16:36 AM
I agree with TC, I'm only a few hours in and it already feels like minuscule tasks are being thrown at me to prolong the journey. It's a valid complaint, frankly I find it ridiculous that some posters are oblivious to it or choosing to validate it somehow. Some guy even tried to validate it by comparing it with traveling to India in real life! ( C,mon, really? Clutching at straws much) Zelda does the same thing and has suffered for it in the past few games.

I'm really enjoying the game so far,such a charming game, hopefully the story picks up a bit though.
#56NewMoonShadowPosted 2/9/2013 10:11:21 AM
GodSlayer66 posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...
Blame the modern standard where a game has to have more than 50 hours of content before it's considered to be a "real RPG".

The modern standard for Developers is in the 20-30 hour range.

The modern standard for the Gamer is in the 50+ hour range.

Hence massive amounts of filler shoved into many modern RPG's... and games as a whole, come to think of it.
#57GodSlayer66Posted 2/9/2013 1:51:54 PM
NewMoonShadow posted...
GodSlayer66 posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...

Hence massive amounts of filler shoved into many modern RPG's... and games as a whole, come to think of it.

When wasn't the standard 50+ hours? The older rpg's were usually even longer. There's nothing "modern" about it.
---
This post is now 20% cooler.
#58NewMoonShadowPosted 2/9/2013 2:27:15 PM(edited)
GodSlayer66 posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...
GodSlayer66 posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...

When wasn't the standard 50+ hours? The older rpg's were usually even longer. There's nothing "modern" about it.

They were only 50 hours because you needed to Grind for hours to be strong enough to beat the boss (also because instructions on where to go next could be pretty vague and require searching), as an average SNES JRPG's were closer to 20-30 hours if you knew what you were doing already. NES JRPG's? Even shorter.

I remember one sleepless morning where I sat down and played Final Fantasy III/VI through to the World of Ruin in a single sitting.

The only time where JRPG's actually approached that kind of length without need for excessive grinding or dawdling was in the mid-late PS1 era, then they started getting shorter again on the PS2 as the graphical quality went up, copy/pasting assets became more frowned-upon, and they started cutting down on the amount of grinding required with a more even difficulty curve.
#59Thanatos2kPosted 2/9/2013 2:38:41 PM
They were only 50 hours because you needed to Grind for hours to be strong enough to beat the boss (also because instructions on where to go next could be pretty vague and require searching), as an average SNES JRPG's were closer to 20-30 hours if you knew what you were doing already. NES JRPG's? Even shorter.

FF3 - longer than 50 hours, no grinding needed.
Chrono Trigger - longer than 50 hours to do everything, no grinding needed.
Lufia 2 - longer than 50 hours, no grinding needed.
Super Mario RPG - longer than 50 hours, no grinding needed.

What average SNES RPG are you talking about, exactly?
---
-Thanatos2k-
#60Jord911Posted 2/9/2013 3:29:09 PM
Have you never played:

Legend of Zelda?

Pokemon?

Dragon Quest?

Any Tales of Game?

If stories are too linear, they seem dry and predictable.

Ni no kuni isnt perfect, but its sidequests aren't as tedious as other JRPGs
---
Train Heartnet, Jio Freed, Sawada Tsunayoshi: To Protect In Their Beliefs, To Protect Humanity, To Protect their Friends. These are true heroes.