game does not deserve higher than an 8.

#1adibicciPosted 2/7/2013 7:40:13 PM
i will preface this post by stating that i enjoyed the game. put ALOT of hours into it. however i have also put alot of hours into games many of you would consider rubbish, and those games were nowhere near this frustrating. i will outline my grievances below. hope they fix them if they ever make a sequel or spin off. feel free to post yours or call me a crybaby, i could care less.

is it so hard to get your active familar to target who you want it to? selecting attack and a target should do exactly that. 90% of the time it does. however 10% of the time it does not. it attacks the last mob to attack you, the mob at the top of the list , or who knows what factor it uses to pick its target. dont believe me? toss out your monolith and attack mobs for 1 dmg each, ensuring you can test this properly. also best if your other 2 teammates are examining the floor. switch between targets and you will indeed see that sometimes it does not attack your chosen target. this is undeniable. at first i thought i may have to let the selection cursor(the line drawn to your target) come to a complete stop on the target. perhaps i was issuing commands to fast. but that is not the case. if i do not attack my chosen target , the combat is broken.

when using abilities in combat, such as yoohoo, the camera likes to pan around 180 degrees to get a nice close up of your familiar. awesome! wait your not going to pan back around automatically? i have to manually move the camera back 180 degrees for every such ability i use so i can see my target? arghhh

abilities interupting other abilities is horrible. anyone who has tried to steal alot with swain knows this all to well. go to steal, enemy uses ability, try again. team mate uses ability, try for 3rd time. here comes dippy with tears yeeaaahhhh. it is interesting however, that for whatever reason spells like astra do not get interrupted. you will see oli casting it while the enemys ability animation plays, and he will finish when its over. why is that? beats me.

the ai is insufficient. although simply setting the AI to use no abilities gets you through everything except mebe some bosses. i by no means want to play this like an action game with 2 npc allys. i enjoy switching around and using different familiars. i have no problem keeping esther alive. but the ai options have zero information as to what they actually do and you get odd results. i missed chance for greatness. you cannot deny this.

the drop rates at end game are horribly low on low spawn rate mobs. i would love to farm up and make all the cool gear to pimp my familiars into the post game content. however i cannot see spending the 20+ hours doing so for the 10 hours of end game content. 20 hours is conservative too , i am not sure how long it would actually take. possibly 30? i wanted to be as low level as possible to enhance the challenge of the post game content but killing so many golden mobs will put an end to that challenge. this is not an mmo where keeping certain gear rare has its place, there is no reason for this artificial time sink. the only way i could see it worth it is if i were to want to platinum this. i personally could care less for trophys though.

not sure why many rate the game so high when it has flaws other games would be crucified for. what if you attacked a random target in a tales game instead of the one you select? it would be given a 6/10. graces had a flawless combat system though and i do not remember anything about it that frustrated me in the slightest. why do some games get a free pass like this and others do not? the npcs in demons souls/dark souls mouths do not move when they talk, yet its rpg game of the year(to some). what would happen if in fallout 4 , the npcs mouths did not move when they spoke? 6/10 regardless if the rest of the game was perfect.

oh well. heres hoping for a spin off.

ifyouareagrammarnazithisisatestofyourreadingcomprhensionskillsdidyoupass?

tldr:
TC is crybaby
#2zeik56Posted 2/7/2013 7:46:18 PM(edited)
Why do you get to decide what other people rate it? Everyone enjoys games for their own reasons.
---
~Mirror, mirror, on my floor, am I the prettiest at the store?
#3adibicci(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 7:47:37 PM
zeik56 posted...
Why do you get to decide what other people rate it?

they can rate it what they want. i merely point out why it does not. thats my opinion. i made this topic to voice my opinion. why do you get to tell me what opinion i may have?
#4zeik56Posted 2/7/2013 7:56:05 PM(edited)
I never said anything about your opinion.

Not every game is judged on the same merits. Combat issues would be a bigger deal in a Tales game because many fans play it specifically for the combat and little else. Mouths not moving in Dark Souls is not an issue because most of the people who play those games don't give a crap about things like that. Ni no Kuni gets high praise because despite it's flaws it still does so many things that people appreciate and enjoy. The positives overshadow the negatives.
---
~Mirror, mirror, on my floor, am I the prettiest at the store?
#5PffrbtPosted 2/7/2013 7:53:06 PM
adibicci posted...
not sure why many rate the game so high when it has flaws other games would be crucified for.
Because Studio Ghibli.

the npcs in demons souls/dark souls mouths do not move when they talk, yet its rpg game of the year(to some).
Because it's hardly noticeable since the camera is usually far away from characters when they talk, and talking to characters only takes up like 1% of the game so who gives a s*** anyway.

what would happen if in fallout 4 , the npcs mouths did not move when they spoke? 6/10 regardless if the rest of the game was perfect.
Fallout games are totally different from Souls games so whatever point your trying to make is completely stupid and makes no sense. Talking to characters is a major part of Fallout while it's practically non existent in Souls. Plus Fallout 4 would be horrendously glitchy like all of Bethesda's games so people would probably chalk it up to that and ignore it.
#6Ace_DragoonPosted 2/7/2013 7:53:41 PM
I agree with the OP. I have to deduct 2 points for having underage protagonists. My rating it'd score more in the 4 - 6 range instead of 6 - 8.
#7adibicci(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 7:56:40 PM
zeik56 posted...

what do you think me stating the opinion "the game does not deserve higher than an 8" is? its my opinion. yet you suggest that i may not do so.

an 8 is a good score, at least by my opinion. however a 9+ is not given to a game that does not attack your selected target,and has all the other things that i mentioned. again in my opinion. now if my list was shorter i could perhaps concede a higher score. (in my opinion)

you have anything to add to my list or wish to discredit anything? or do you just like to argue about others having a differing opinion?
#8LeanaunfurledPosted 2/7/2013 7:57:43 PM
1. I've never had targeting issues.

2. Never noticed camera issues.

3. Ability interruption is welcome. I can interrupt enemies, they can interrupt me. it's part of the battle system.

4. AI is great higher level, but it could use more customization, yes.

5. It's a JRPG. I'd be surprised to play a JRPG that doesn't feature some sort of grinding. The grinding in this one is optional, like with gear. Unnecessary, since the gear I buy/find/steal is more than enough to get me through the game. The perfectionists will work on the alchemy and it's rewarding because it warrants a good chunk of time.

And why the f*** are you talking about immobile mouths like it's a big deal? Are the games you listed so amazing that the only thing you can think of as a negative aspect is a still mouth?
---
Not removing this sig until Bravely Default:Flying Fairy is localized.
http://i.imgur.com/atFfl36.png
#9Taichi556Posted 2/7/2013 8:01:57 PM
Um, the game only let you select your target when you don't currently have a target.. Eg. if you started to attack something you must manually change to a new target or kill the current one before the game will automatically force you to select a new target. There's no random factor behind this, you just never took the time to understand what was going on.
---
"Synchro Chip, Slot-in, Cross Fusion!"
Wargreymon: Level 126
#10PFireflyPosted 2/7/2013 8:04:01 PM
adibicci posted...
zeik56 posted...

what do you think me stating the opinion "the game does not deserve higher than an 8" is? its my opinion. yet you suggest that i may not do so.

The topic title is presented as a statement, not opinion. The "proofs" laid out in your OP are presented as evidence to back up your statement. There was never any mention of this being an opinion piece till your second post.

Why not label the piece "your review." Or start off the post with why you feel this game doesn't deserve more than an 8? Then it would be obvious to the casual observer that this is intended as an opinion piece.
---
Alice returns in 2011, I'll be ready... http://www.ea.com/alice
Inception ending spoiler: http://twitpic.com/26k9ub