The "Taming Toko Blues" topic.

#1AlltraPosted 2/7/2013 11:08:15 PM(edited)
I'm sitting here trying to tame a Toko on Ugly Swan Island, and since it's probably going to be a long, tedious, repetitive process, I thought I'd help pass the time by starting a topic like this.

I've only killed about 30 of them so far, but unfortunately I haven't been fortunate enough to snag one. I hear horror stories of people needing 100's of them to actually catch one. Makes me cringe thinking about catching the evolutions so I can own one of each Familiar, or even just catching more than one Toko.

I envy those of you who have managed to catch them quickly. I wish I had your fortune.
---
I sometimes feel as though life is a curse that has been placed on the living. I envy the unborn at times.
#2PffrbtPosted 2/7/2013 11:15:07 PM
I fought less than 10 and got one.
#3Alltra(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 11:18:38 PM
It would be kind of interesting to know exactly how the mechanics behind taming familars works. Like, what the formula is. All things random in a video game work on some unseen laws, and if you can figure out what they are you can optimize your chances.

For something like Toko, optimization could save a player a lot of time and effort.
---
I sometimes feel as though life is a curse that has been placed on the living. I envy the unborn at times.
#4jee_Wizz_ERPosted 2/7/2013 11:23:03 PM
Pffrbt posted...
I fought less than 10 and got one.

---
"When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" "Beware of the man of one book":D
#5dbisonPosted 2/7/2013 11:24:43 PM
For me I was farming them to level up my new Dino, and in one fight I captured one. I wasn't planning on capturing one either, lol
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#6kkeevvPosted 2/7/2013 11:28:19 PM
There's no optimization here, sadly. It's a 2% chance that's checked either when you start the fight or when you hit the finishing blow. Since we lack any form of save state for ps3 games, we can't check.
---
Check out my quote.
#7Alltra(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 11:34:22 PM
It's kind of stupid that you can't influence your chances of catching a monster.
---
#8Monistic_TurtlePosted 2/7/2013 11:40:27 PM
i just got mine today; too me 25 tries. Also, I found putting on some headphones and listening to my own music helped past the time faster. I love the music in Ni no Kuni, but after awhile of hearing the same battle theme and spending way too much time on Ugly Duck Island, listening to some new music helped.

best of luck old bean! ^-^
---
Would you strongly disagree, slightly disagree, or only disagree with this sentence?
#9Alltra(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 11:42:41 PM
I wonder what my magic number will end up being.
---
#10dambloPosted 2/7/2013 11:48:28 PM
took 6 tries for me mines now a docotoko lvl 6 2more lvls till max on getting another not happen but im not worried the 250 tamming is keeping me busy for now
---
PSN lionheat, White Knight 2 ID: Mireille Lvl80 GR30 Bow/SS
Barry: "That was too close. You were almost a Jill sandwich."- RE1