List your Top 10 RPGs

#1ArcadianGenesisPosted 2/10/2013 9:52:23 PM
Include all types of RPGs (traditional, strategy, action, etc). Try to limit to one game per series (otherwise we'd have long lists of DQ and FF). I'm putting mine in chronological order...

Chrono Trigger (Squaresoft, 1995)
Mega Man Legends (Capcom, 1998)
Xenogears (Squaresoft, 1998)
Brave Fencer Musashi (Squaresoft, 1998)
Lunar SSSC (Game Arts, 1999)
Final Fantasy IX (Squaresoft, 2000)
Dark Chronicle (Level-5, 2003)
The Wind Waker (Nintendo, 2003)
Dragon Quest VIII (Level-5, 2005)
Ni no Kuni (Level-5, 2013)
---
Ninety percent of life is just being there.
#2imsalingawayPosted 2/10/2013 9:56:53 PM
No particular order.

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 9 (and 6)
Dragon Quest 8
Grandia
Ni No Kuni
Kingdom Hearts 2 (and Birth By Sleep)
Lunar Silver Star Story
Suikoden
Star Ocean 2
Super Mario RPG
#3AlltraPosted 2/10/2013 9:57:48 PM
.....I wouldn't count Mega Man Legends or Wind Waker as RPGs honestly.....

Narrowing down a top 10 list for RPGs is incredibly hard, because I've played more than 10 "Top 10" quality RPGs. They're all deserving of consideration for the honor, and it kind of feels like I'm being disingenous not including them in such a list.
---
I sometimes feel as though life is a curse that has been placed on the living. I envy the unborn at times.
#4NewMoonShadowPosted 2/10/2013 11:49:21 PM
ArcadianGenesis posted...
Include all types of RPGs (traditional, strategy, action, etc). Try to limit to one game per series (otherwise we'd have long lists of DQ and FF). I'm putting mine in chronological order...

Chrono Trigger (Squaresoft, 1995)
Mega Man Legends (Capcom, 1998)
Xenogears (Squaresoft, 1998)
Brave Fencer Musashi (Squaresoft, 1998)
Lunar SSSC (Game Arts, 1999)
Final Fantasy IX (Squaresoft, 2000)
Dark Chronicle (Level-5, 2003)
The Wind Waker (Nintendo, 2003)
Dragon Quest VIII (Level-5, 2005)
Ni no Kuni (Level-5, 2013)

... What? Brave Fencer Musashi and Zelda walk on the questionable side, but there's no way in the blue Hell that Megaman Legends is an RPG in any form.

Anyway... in no particular order

Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Suikoden II
Suikoden V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy V
Torchlight II
Planescape: Torment
Earthbound
Breath of Fire 2
#5tsukia8Posted 2/11/2013 12:00:36 AM
Hopefully someone will mention the first Baten Kaitos: Eternal wings and the lost ocean.
Unfortunately, its sequel, BK:Origins, was bad :(
#6XxXKiIIerXBunniesXxXPosted 2/11/2013 12:10:21 AM
A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game[1][2]) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making or character development.[3] Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.[4]
There are several forms of RPG.

I personally know what you mean but honestly Leveling up isn't what makes an RPG in my opinion.

I personally can't make myself play these games again but I'll list a few that I loved when I first played them in their time when they first came out.

Final Fantasy 1.
Dragon Warrior 1.
Zelda 2.
Secret of Mana.
Secret of Evermore.
Willow(can't remember name).
SuperMarioRPG.

Maybe it was because I was younger but nowadays RPGs are now what they were when they first came out, the way the sucked you in and you just had to finish them because they were so new/intersting. I can't even get myself to finish an RPG anymore.
---
You should read your Bible, sirs. You'll find all types of weird stuff in there. Like, did you know Jesus was a Jew? -Jay
#7tsukia8Posted 2/11/2013 12:17:57 AM
^Willow the nes game?! Lol great nostalgia. Awesome movie and game back then. Both my mom and aunt played that^^
#8CaiusIcePosted 2/11/2013 12:18:55 AM
FF 7
Chrono Cross
Xenogears
Star Ocean 2nd Story
Vagrant Story
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG
Suikoden 2
Persona 4
KIngdom Hearts 2
#9XxXKiIIerXBunniesXxXPosted 2/11/2013 12:20:10 AM
tsukia8 posted...
^Willow the nes game?! Lol great nostalgia. Awesome movie and game back then. Both my mom and aunt played that^^

Haha Yeah I couldn't get enough of that game, when you leveled up and your swords would swing just slightly faster, it felt godly and I can't remember what happened to that game but it just disappeared before I could finish it. That game had me addicted, dreaming about it and just obsessed with it.
---
You should read your Bible, sirs. You'll find all types of weird stuff in there. Like, did you know Jesus was a Jew? -Jay
#10CoditPosted 2/11/2013 12:58:11 AM
No order. I could put some tiers, but never number the whole thing.

Dragon Warrior VII
FF VI, V, Tactics (if srpg count)
Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario RPG: 7 Stars
Ni No Kuni
Tales of Destiny
Wild Arms 1
Skies of Arcadia
Grandia II

Looking back at this list... I have some games to replay...