Are there any JRPG protagonists more boring than Oliver?

#111HaZZaRdbOyPosted 2/15/2013 3:39:42 PM(edited)
seth4461 posted...
I'll also nominate Yu Narukami from Persona 4.

While you don't hear him, he isn't exactly a silent character.... he is actually meant to be how you want him to be. There are tons of times when you can pick choices for what he would say and the outcome is different in each choice you make. He is only as boring as how you want him to be. Otherwise he is as entertaining as you want him.
#112crazymilesPosted 2/15/2013 4:02:55 PM
Every character from Final Fantasy XIII
Rudy from Wild Arms
Justin from Grandia
The protagonist from Suikoden

I still love all of these games, with the exception of Final Fantasy XIII.
---
PSN: joshthecynic
#113seth4461Posted 2/15/2013 4:16:27 PM
seth4461 posted...
I'll also nominate Yu Narukami from Persona 4.

While you don't hear him, he isn't exactly a silent character.... he is actually meant to be how you want him to be. There are tons of times when you can pick choices for what he would say and the outcome is different in each choice you make. He is only as boring as how you want him to be. Otherwise he is as entertaining as you want him.

Which was why I mention him based on his character from P4 Arena, yes it's not an RPG but it is a sequel to one and the same character and thusly I can safely assume he's boring based off that. Since we can't actually use his silent version do the TCs restrictions.

That Said I have another vote for boring. Marche from FF Tactics Advance. I'm fairly certain that if no one was around him he would sit in a corner not doing anything.
---
You may not be as good as I am, I may not compare to you, but until you prove either; I'd wager we'd both be better off staying quiet about it.
#114Excalibur318Posted 2/15/2013 4:26:11 PM
Well Jeepers!
#115GOOOKUPosted 2/15/2013 5:29:30 PM
Oliver is a lot better than Asbel from ToG.
---
Fat Thugger - Just some food for thought. Lakers digging through our trash can hm (re Shannon Brown)
arredondo - And winning championships with your trash hey?
#116darkzero16Posted 2/15/2013 11:10:51 PM
Karsticles posted...
tsukia8 posted...
Vaan. Lightning is hot.

Vaan is annoying, not boring. Penelo is boring.

I disagree, Vaan is BOTH annoying AND boring. Some how he made it happen.

Vaan, the worst FF protagonist in history.

But when you're in the worst FF in history, it's hard to not have that trophy. And if you think FFXII is good, you either had an updated "international" (lolz, just Japan) version which improved some things or you've not played a good FF.

Story - poorly done Star Wars
Characters - Only Ashe matters in the story, the rest don't. No, not even the beloved Belthier (though could argue he matters somewhat later when you get his connection to Cid, but really he doesn't). Basch sorta does for about the first half, but other than that, becomes pointless to the story.
Gameplay - more boring gameplay version of FFXI
Music - alright, but nothing special
Monster types - not much variety, not much in terms of interesting strategies for any of them really
character progression - bland and a system that really lacks any uniqueness between characters pretty quickly, at least something like Materia of FF7 or Sphere Grid of FFX took a lot more to make everyone basically the same

The only thing fun about FFXII was just running around the world imo.

Vote for Vaan too. Also disliked 12 for alot of the reasons here and in the later post
---
"They aren't thought of as games that break the mold. They're just borrowing a different mold."
#117CynicalGamer1Posted 2/18/2013 8:36:40 AM
Almost anyone from FFX. Auron mainly. Hey look at me I talk in a deep voice and dress mysteriously...I must be a bada**. Except his actual story is the most boring concept in a RPG ever. I found Hope from FF13 to be more exciting than this guy.
#118toad133Posted 2/18/2013 8:45:30 AM
I'm amazed going by ctrl + F that no one said Shulk from Xenoblade.
---
Not changing this sig till Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is announced for VC.
Started: 16th of August 2008 13:27pm.
#119dudeitscoolPosted 2/19/2013 10:02:43 AM
crazymiles posted...
Every character from Final Fantasy XIII
Rudy from Wild Arms
Justin from Grandia
The protagonist from Suikoden

I still love all of these games, with the exception of Final Fantasy XIII.

Jack was cool as heck in Wild Arms but I agree Rudy was ridiculous.
---
Looking at the big picture is easier on the eyes...
#120Tom344Posted 2/19/2013 10:55:24 AM(edited)
Cloud(FF7), Lightning(FF13) and Squall(FF8).
In terms of JRPG's, FF's are nearly the only ones I've played.