Why should I buy this game? (I really want a reason to)

#1bmvPosted 2/12/2013 2:28:29 PM
I know VERY LITTLE about the story and nothing of the combat system. RPG's have always been a genre that I loved but... I just have a feeling that I'll regret it if I purchase this title. A quick skimming of the board (Trying to avoid spoilers) have given phenomonal reviews.. along with a few cases of buyers remorse.

Recommendations? If someone could mention what unique features / battle system information that'd be great as well.
---
3/2 of people have sigs like this. If you're someone who doesn't post BS stats make this your sig...wait...
#2GaboadoPosted 2/12/2013 2:35:34 PM
Itīs like a crazy mix of Pokemon and Dragon Quest. There are a few mistakes in the battle system and the story is ok for the most part, but itīs still a 8/10 game. Expect A LOT of text to read without VA. Nice visuals and soundtrack.
#3zyrax2301Posted 2/12/2013 2:37:03 PM
It's one of those games which is really a great experience. I could tell it was going to be this way when I played the demo, and after finishing it I have no buyer's remorse whatsoever.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#4KukaiDragonPosted 2/12/2013 2:38:47 PM
There's a free demo. Play it and make up your own mind. You get a decent feel for the battle system and you get a short summary of the storyline.
#5murgyverPosted 2/12/2013 2:42:04 PM
I hated it when i played the demo, went a few days a then saw the reviews and buzz. I bought it new and am glad i did. If u have a ps3 and like jRPGs then this is a must own. It is a classic in my home, we just refer to it as ps3 pokemon. Its cute, but incredible deep, this game has a lot of substance and doesnt just ride on the fact that big name studios worked on it. I cant stress enough how much this game delivers as being a "total package". Instant classic!
---
PSN: murgyver
#6Thanatos2kPosted 2/12/2013 2:44:19 PM
If you like JRPGs, why wouldn't you want to get this game, which is a solid JRPG?
---
-Thanatos2k-
#7bmv(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 2:48:30 PM
Gaboado posted...
Itīs like a crazy mix of Pokemon and Dragon Quest. There are a few mistakes in the battle system and the story is ok for the most part, but itīs still a 8/10 game. Expect A LOT of text to read without VA. Nice visuals and soundtrack.

Dragon quest = <3
Pokemon = :[

How is it like pokemon?

I love JRPG's, though I have some crazy feeling this could have positive buzz purely for being a JRPG rather than being an actually good JRPG.
---
3/2 of people have sigs like this. If you're someone who doesn't post BS stats make this your sig...wait...
#8ArcadianGenesisPosted 2/12/2013 2:59:45 PM(edited)
bmv posted...

Dragon quest = <3
Pokemon = :[

Okay, you're gonna love this game. I guarantee it. If you like Dragon Quest (especially DQ8), you are going to like this game. Period.

Disregard any comparisons to Pokemon. Pokemon is hollow compared to this game. The only resemblance is monster training, but honestly, that's just one small feature of this game. It is an immersive, story-driven adventure with a huge world map littered with secret treasures and tons of side quests. There is always an explicit story event that you are supposed to go and do - but, as with Dragon Quest, you are basically free to go explore the world and do whatever you want in the meantime. If you want to test your luck by exploring uncharted territory that is completely off the story path, you can do that. There is very little limitation on where you can go, but the story is always there to guide you.

---
Ninety percent of life is just being there.
#9bmv(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 3:00:25 PM
Arcadian, thanks for your input. I'll likely be picking it up tonight based on the input given here.
---
#10ArcadianGenesisPosted 2/12/2013 3:06:35 PM
Excellent choice :]

Frankly, the monster training in this game is more like weapon evolution in Dark Cloud, if you've played that game. Each monster can be leveled-up to a certain level and then evolved to a new species, at which time it goes back to level 1. Then if you level it up to another point, you can evolve it again - but this time, there are two choices for how to evolve it, say Species A and Species B. If you recall, that is exactly how weapons evolved in Dark Cloud. So the influence is obviously more from DC than Pokemon, considering this is a Level-5 game.
---
Ninety percent of life is just being there.