Just got this game and

#1PrintScreenKeyPosted 2/12/2013 9:03:07 PM
the game reminds of the golden days in rpgs
=]
#2YaoiloverfeiPosted 2/12/2013 9:14:07 PM
PrintScreenKey posted...
the game reminds of the golden days in rpgs
=]

I agree. It's the saving grace for this game. Although, it may have flaws, it's the journey and magic within the game that just keeps you smiling and reminiscing about the good old RPGs days.
---
To look at the world in a different light, look with eyes unclouded by hate.
#3tisukoPosted 2/12/2013 9:18:49 PM(edited)
I just got this game today also. I'm having a blast playing through it. Not very far into the game right now, played about 5 hours of it so far. About too make it to the second town.

I'm so glad I picked this game up over Aliens: Colonial Marines.

EDIT: I'm sorry. I'm almost 6 hours into the game. 5 hours 49 minutes.
---
+_AN|?+=E+ ?w?_+ i
PSN: tisuko GT: k0tet5u
#4MechaNapoleonPosted 2/12/2013 9:43:35 PM(edited)
I never get this... the game has all the trappings of newer era RPGs, nothing like the old RPGs. Actiony combat, collect-a-thons, handholding/fingerpointing... yada. I can't see it in any way as an ode to anything old school.

>and I do like the game, not tryin to sound too trolly.
#5SHMYazooPosted 2/12/2013 9:50:01 PM
It has some new mechanics but it has a VERY old school feel to it. The way the overworld is done, the way the story progresses (locales and etc), character motivations, the art design... It's not entirely old school but it really hits home with those that played a lot of JRPGs in the SNES / PS1 era.
---
Aion is just like all other WoW clones, I mean, the Mage in Aion has a Fireball spell and can make Portals. WoW ANYONE??? - Aion Boards
#6Yorozuya_GinPosted 2/12/2013 11:07:09 PM
MechaNapoleon posted...
I never get this... the game has all the trappings of newer era RPGs, nothing like the old RPGs. Actiony combat, collect-a-thons, handholding/fingerpointing... yada. I can't see it in any way as an ode to anything old school.

well to me the reason why it feels old "schooly" is coz, its the only RPG i've played in years that offered a world map, a ship you can use to travel around the world and later on another one that you can use to fly around. Yea... when in combat, you might not be just standing there like, lets say FF7 but its still turn based and a bit more closer to that compared to other action RPGs.

Things evolve throughout the years, I actually find myself getting bored when I was playing FF7 coz you just stand there and wait. But I still love the game, its just that playing it and looking back, I can understand if some people would complain about how the battle system is if its their 1st time playing an RPG from back then (not saying they will). That's just me though, I'm am no expert whatsoever just voicing out why Ni No Kuni makes me fee like I'm playing an oldschool game.
#7nedrithPosted 2/13/2013 12:16:58 AM
MechaNapoleon posted...

Sure it has a lot of that. It also has spells that were made just for the story, a world map, a decent amount of difficulty that makes it relatively hard to overlevel accidently(tokos excluded but just in the same way that DQ has metal slimes). You get alternative forms of transportation besides the unimaginary fast travel/teleport. The game feels alive, the world feels alive. It feels like the game was made with some real effort rather than just to sell some copies.

Old school games had a few collect-a-thons in them. Tales games existed for the SNES and they had actiony combat. And this game has a lot less handholding than most game. Turn off the Star and almost all of it is gone.
#8guimond777Posted 2/13/2013 4:22:54 AM
A lot of old school games had collect-a-thons in them actually. In different flavors, sure, but the concept is the same. Look at Breath of Fire III, you had an entire fairy villiage you can collect and grow, as well as dragon orbs to collect, and even enemy skills you can steal. Suikoden 1-5 had music notes, window panes, runes, and characters you can collect also for instance. A lot of old school RPG's had things to collect.

Combine that with, like everyone else said, an overworld map, a semi turn based structure, a simple leveling/skill system....there shouldn't be any reason why people don't get the "old school" feel to this game.

It's a very nice, refreshing, simple concept. Too many RPG's these days try to throw in 6 thousand different elements and it makes the game seem extremely tainted. Sometiems, simplicity is the best way, and this game proves it. Simply put....it focuses on "story" and not "substance".