Is this.... the infamous Toko?

#1KreynorPosted 2/13/2013 5:16:28 AM(edited)
I found the small islands with the starter familiars in it, and the short clip in the wizard compaion, showing the spot for a rare (?) familiar is identical to one of the islands.
That little yellow guy with a staff... is that a Toko?

(saved right in that spot and tried reloading some times.. I think it appeared once but ran away as soon as it saw me)

(I'm level 33, on my way to the pirates)
#2AlltraPosted 2/13/2013 5:19:16 AM(edited)
Pretty much.
---
I sometimes feel as though life is a curse that has been placed on the living. I envy the unborn at times.
#3Grobyc900Posted 2/13/2013 5:19:08 AM
That is a toko. I find it faster to gateway back and forth to refresh spawns, try and spot a toko mob, do it again. If your looking to.over level a bit...
---
Lodotus
#4Kreynor(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 7:30:17 AM
Right! the gateway trick! I forgot about that.
I'd like to catch it, but I guess I'll wait until I have the merit award.
#5dark trunksPosted 2/13/2013 8:38:19 AM
Kreynor posted...

Well, you could just wait until it turns around and try to sneak up on it, even without the merit award, if you're talking about the one for sneaking up on enemies. . I never used any tricks to run into a Toko or a Tokotoko. I just waited until they turned around, or I knew they'd run into a wall allowing me to catch up. You don't really need any tricks to nab one.

Don't forget, you can run in the opposite direction as well and that will calm the Toko, and other enemies, down. So you could run him toward the edge of the island, run away so he calms down and then go after him again.
---
"If you've got yourself a dream, work hard, believe in yourself because I know dreams can come true."- Dennis DeYoung 1997
#6ImpiPosted 2/13/2013 8:44:42 AM
And don't forget to jump, jump, jump. That makes you go just a little bit faster, often just enough to catch a mob before it poofs.
#7AxepriestPosted 2/13/2013 8:52:30 AM(edited)
I found the Perdida area was much easier to farm than that little island (providing you are appropriately leveled).
There's a mob that spawns near the top of the pathway in an enclosed square, that only has one way out. If you stand in the open wall and save, you can gateway back and forth until a tokotoko spawns and always get it as it can't run anywhere.
Saving helps if the mob isn't a Tokoko and runs into you, just start-quit-reload.
#8Kreynor(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 9:16:11 AM
dark trunks posted...
Kreynor posted...

Well, you could just wait until it turns around and try to sneak up on it, even without the merit award, if you're talking about the one for sneaking up on enemies. . I never used any tricks to run into a Toko or a Tokotoko. I just waited until they turned around, or I knew they'd run into a wall allowing me to catch up. You don't really need any tricks to nab one.

Don't forget, you can run in the opposite direction as well and that will calm the Toko, and other enemies, down. So you could run him toward the edge of the island, run away so he calms down and then go after him again.

I meant the merit award that helps taming familiars.
#9Ivajosh10Posted 2/13/2013 10:42:53 AM
Lol I grinded Toko's to the point it wanted to be my friend c:. Didn't know it took that long to get to lv. 3... lv. 2 was a chore. But 90k to lv. 3 ..... I used Earsplitter... with Dinoceros.... 1 hit kill. xD
---
PSN: Ivajosh; GT: Ivajosh90; Steam: Ivajosh
#10dark trunksPosted 2/13/2013 12:29:27 PM
Kreynor posted...
dark trunks posted...
Kreynor posted...

I meant the merit award that helps taming familiars.

Ah right, I misread then.

Either way, it's not too difficult to find a Toko. You have a good chance of running into one fighting the sprites, and occasionally with the other two familiars roaming the island. And then you'll end up finding your fair share of Tokos just walking around. I'd imagine even with that merit award, the chances of getting one as considerably slim and down to luck. I managed to get one within ten fights. It took me hours to nab a familiar with a 6% chance of capture. I'd recommend running from one end of the island to the other, fighting everything along the way, getting guilders and items and the occasional Toko. It can't hurt, you get some decent experience and cash and a nice supply of items.
---
"If you've got yourself a dream, work hard, believe in yourself because I know dreams can come true."- Dennis DeYoung 1997