I LOVE the game, but have a few questions...

#1dudupupuPosted 2/16/2013 7:29:25 PM

1) when do the revelations start happening? I just completed the Fairy's village and am heading toward Hamelin, but aside from the intro, not much which is relevant to the main plot has happened. Does the game's story pick up at some point? I love a light-hearted tale, but I wanted there to be something of a mystery to the plot after seeing Pea and being introduced to another world after Oliver's mom takes a shot.

2) How far, in terms of main story, am I in the game? I'm using the strategy guide and page-wise, it looks to be about 40% complete at this point. Is this accurate? I heard someone say that this point is only about 1/5 of the way through; this can't be true, can it?!?

3) What exactly does all-out attack do?

4) Are there any cool post-game things to do that expand the plot in any way?
---
Jesus the Christ - the perpetual novelty through which humankind can remain constantly challenged to think, love, and, ultimately, LIVE. We are born dead.
#2VyviPosted 2/16/2013 7:35:19 PM
I think you're probably still about 1/3 through the game... maybe not even?

The story "picks up", I guess... well in my opinion it didn't really get any more interesting until way at the end when you start learning more about Pea for reals. Aside from that I got most enjoyment from the Wizard's Companion stories haha.

There's a bunch of post-game missions you can do. There are some that give some interesting back story.

All out Attack I think just makes everyone constantly go on the offense. So they won't defend or heal or whatever. When you do all out defense the whole party will use defend which is good for one of those nasty big boss attacks.
#3dudupupu(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2013 7:40:40 PM
Vyvi posted...
I think you're probably still about 1/3 through the game... maybe not even?

The story "picks up", I guess... well in my opinion it didn't really get any more interesting until way at the end when you start learning more about Pea for reals. Aside from that I got most enjoyment from the Wizard's Companion stories haha.

There's a bunch of post-game missions you can do. There are some that give some interesting back story.

All out Attack I think just makes everyone constantly go on the offense. So they won't defend or heal or whatever. When you do all out defense the whole party will use defend which is good for one of those nasty big boss attacks.

Wow! This is turning out to be a pretty long game if I'm truly not even halfway done yet.

Also, as long as the story picks up, I don't mind how long it takes. I'm enjoying the throwback to old RPGs where every area has an isolated problem, and the the Wizard's Companion is a great read to boot!

How does the post-game content work? Are you free to roam the world after you beat the last boss like in Earthbound (where NPCs act as though you've just saved the world), or do you load a save before the final boss?
---
Jesus the Christ - the perpetual novelty through which humankind can remain constantly challenged to think, love, and, ultimately, LIVE. We are born dead.
#4VyviPosted 2/16/2013 7:45:34 PM

How does the post-game content work? Are you free to roam the world after you beat the last boss like in Earthbound (where NPCs act as though you've just saved the world), or do you load a save before the final boss?

You can beat the game, then there's a post-game save. When you load the post-game save the game will let you know that there are a bunch of new things you can do, and if you want to go beat the final boss again you can do it whenever you want.

Anyway, I don't want to tell you any more than that haha. It's a fun game, I think.
#5DracoZereulPosted 2/16/2013 8:35:48 PM
1. Without spoiling much, I'd have to say you're a bit of a ways before you get any real revelations. You're currently in the "gather strength to fight Shadar" part of the game, which encompasses a considerable bulk of the game. Once you get close to the end of that, there are some pretty interesting revelations that pop up, but you're still a ways away before that happens.

2. Story-wise, I'd have to agree you're probably somewhere around a third of the way. In terms of content, definitely far less than that. A lot of stuff opens up later on in the game, including a lot of back-tracking Swift Solutions missions. If you aim to do everything this game has to offer, you've definitely still got a while. In case you're curious about time investment, though, it took me about 55 hours to beat the main game. Don't remember what time I was at with the Fairylands, but I think you should have a decent guess of how much you're in for based on that.

3. Like others said, All-Out Attack basically puts your AI teammates into, well, All Out Attack mode. Basically, I find AOA to be used primarily as an unlock feature for All-Out Defense, since your teammates will spend a good 10-15 seconds keeping their guards up, long after the danger has passed.

4. While I don't know about any plot changes since I just started it myself, the post-game basically offers a bunch of new missions, hunts, and the ability to fight and tame Golden versions of various familiars, most of which drop rare loot you can use to craft the Ultimate Gear in the game. As for how it works, think Star Ocean. Your save is set to just before you beat the last boss, but all the extra content is now unlocked for your perusal.
---
3DS FC: 0817-5047-7991
#6adibicciPosted 2/16/2013 9:07:39 PM
all out attack does put your team into attack mode. they will switch familiars if they want, and use whatever abilities they want. this will override their tactics settings, for example, if you have them set to "use no abilities".

all out defense makes them take a defensive posture. this does NOT mean "defend only". a defensive posture includes esther healing or using cheer, and oliver using ward. so other things besides using the "defend" command are possible when using all out defense.

have fun!