Quick poll about JRPG popularity.

#11Hopz_7Posted 2/17/2013 10:18:10 AM
nouseravailable posted...
100+ i think. Not too sure but then again... ive been gaming for a long time.

Same here. Been gaming since 1985.
---
I'm drinkin a beer, I'm smokin a swisher
I barely can steer, Cause i'm full of this liquor - E40
#12SteelCurtain17Posted 2/17/2013 10:19:21 AM
I'm going to try to tally it all up now.....this topic has sparked my curiosity haha
---
Born a Steelers, Reds, and Hoosiers Fan!!!!!! PSN- Cotner84
#13nouseravailablePosted 2/17/2013 10:27:21 AM
SteelCurtain17 posted...
nouseravailable posted...
100+ i think. Not too sure but then again... ive been gaming for a long time.

Enjoying Ni No Kuni?

Yup, quite a bit, i really enjoy adventures (both in the classical and not-so-classical sense)... Ni No Kuni offer many systems that integrates elements from both genres (adventures and rpgs), its awesome. I just wish the game didnt "held my hand" so much. My only problem is that im playing another game with a heavy fantasy setting at the same time: Zelda remake, the transition between bother universes make things a lil weird. Sometimes i play Zelda thinking abou NNK and vice-versa.

About the generic RPG thing: if you count all final fantasies, dragon quests, shin megami tenseis, tales and growlanser/langrisser/warsong you will get more then 40 classical games worth at least one playthrough.
---
NP: Ocarina of Time 3D, Ni No Kuni and P4Arena
#14PhadinPosted 2/17/2013 10:30:32 AM
My list is ar too long, but definately more then 50. I've been playing since the original FF and DW were released in America, so it shouldn't be too surprising the number I've managed.

However, I do agree 100 would probably include crap games and games barely qualifying as JRPGs... or remakes of games you already beat count independently. I don't count remakes in my count.
#15the voidPosted 2/17/2013 10:51:17 AM
100+ sounded unbelievable to me. But then I just counted up the PSX, PS2, PSP and PS3 games in the apartment and got 80. That's including a few games like phantasy star online and monster rancher, which are not traditional turned based I'd still consider to be jRPGs. Add in all the old NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, etc (I started with Dragon Warrior NES) and it's easily over 100.
---
void in your head, void between your ears, void everywhere
#16SteelCurtain17Posted 2/17/2013 10:58:50 AM
the void posted...
100+ sounded unbelievable to me. But then I just counted up the PSX, PS2, PSP and PS3 games in the apartment and got 80. That's including a few games like phantasy star online and monster rancher, which are not traditional turned based I'd still consider to be jRPGs. Add in all the old NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, etc (I started with Dragon Warrior NES) and it's easily over 100.

Yeah, I'm in the process of creating a word document to count mine up and I was surprised how many I have actually beaten......I thought it was around 60 or so but it looks like i will end up passing that by far
---
Born a Steelers, Reds, and Hoosiers Fan!!!!!! PSN- Cotner84
#17SixSixSevenEighPosted 2/17/2013 11:17:54 AM
Is there no option for 0?

Seriously, this is my first JRPG and I'm loving it.
---
"If you're going to kick authority in the teeth, you might as well use two feet"
PSN: liam6678
#18Thanatos2kPosted 2/17/2013 1:08:16 PM
My gut says 100+. I can see 30+ in my PS1 library alone.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#19tooweakPosted 2/17/2013 1:21:12 PM(edited)
Was expecting about 70, but Made the list to count and It was far bigger than I expected.

Partly depends on what counts as RPG/not as RPG. And how remakes and ports count. Been RPG fan since DW1. FF4 (2 on SNES) is when I really started loving them.

My count is about 88-120 depending on how roguelikes, mystery dungeon, Wizardry Clones, Zelda, ports, remakes, sRPGs (FE, FFT, Disgaea, etc) and alternate version of same gen Pokemon get counted/ignored.

However that is my Offhand total. Mainly just glancing at games games I own under 10 of these I dont own (lent and lost, traded in, rentals, etc). So I probably forgot a few.

FF series (22-30 that I can remember)
1 (NES, PS1), 2, 3, 4 (SNES, PS1, PSP, DS), 5, 6 (SNES, PS1), 7, 8, 9, 10, 10-2, 11 base, 11 CoP, 12, 13, 13-2, FFA, FFL1, FFL2, FFL3, FFT, FFTA, FFTA2, FF4TAY, FFCC

DQ series (9-13, due to NES and Game Boy remakes)
1, 3-9, DQMJ

Mario (5)
SMRPG, PM, PMTTYD, M&LSSS, M&LBiS

Pokemon (8-12)
R, B, Y, G, Silver, C, Saphire, Pl, W, B2, EoT, Conquest

Atlus (6-7)
EO2, EO3, FES, P3P, P4, Demon's Souls, Rhapsody (PS1)

Tales series (5)
ToS, ToSDotNW, Abyss, Graces f, Vesperia

Other SE (15)
CT, CC, Saga Frontier, PE, CD2, FFFCD, TWEWY, Xenogears, SoM, LoM, ToF, KH, KH2, Illusion of Gaia, Actraiser

Level 5, excluding DQ (3)
Ni no Kuni, WKC1, WKC2

Working Designs (5)
LSSSC, L2EBC, AtL1, AtL2, AtL3

Misc. series (33, probably forgetting a bajillion rentals)
Atelier Annie, Arcana, Azure Dreams, AtLTotS, Blue Dragon, BoD7, BoF1, BoF3,
CStW, Disgaea, Disgaea 3, Disgaea 4, Earthbound (before SSB64),
Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, Guardian's Crusade, Last Story, Lost Odyssey
Mana Khemia, Mystery Dungeon Shiren the Wanderer, Opoona
Phantasy Star 4, Phantom Brave, PSO Episode 1 (offline mode),
RPG Maker's default scenario, Suikoden, Vanguard Bandits
WA1, WA2, WA4, XS, XS2, XS3, Xenoblade

Bordeline, Zelda series (not includied in the 85-120)
Zelda 1, Zelda 2, ALttP (SNES GBA), PH, OoT, OoT3D, WW, PH, MC, LA

Borderline, other (missing a LOT, not includied in the 85-120)
CV: CotM, CV:PoR, MH Tri, 012, Dark Souls, MML1, MML2
---
I think of what you told me/ however sad life seems/ that sometimes tears can turn to dreams.