Question for all you JRPG fans

#1LeatherFace29Posted 2/17/2013 11:26:18 PM
What is it that people like so much about this game as compared to Final Fantasy XIII. I'm not a fan of the genre at all but I do like only a few RPGs. I know how popular Final Fantasy used to be despite not following the series at all and Ni No Kuni is getting praise from everywhere. Also I noticed Persona 4 Golden getting almost perfect scores.
---
PSN: thasiccness92
#2pokemon_45_79_1Posted 2/17/2013 11:30:57 PM
Lets see one it uses the traditional overworld world map, for one unlike any console FF this gen so far, and it doesn't stray away from the traditional JRPG elements seen from the 90's.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#3AgitoXIIIPosted 2/17/2013 11:32:56 PM
Can't help but wonder why you care if you aren't much a JRPG fan but I can try to answer your question....

FFXIII is an RPG that isn't much of an RPG. It lacks many thing people come to expect in a J or W RPG. Exploration, mini-game here and there, optional side question. It also lacks a great comprehensive mythology that can be understood in ONE game completion without the need of sequels.

Ni no Kuni is pretty much what people expect in a typical RPG. It's the opposite really.

Oh and BTW, if you've not played any FF games, I would strongely recommend FINAL FANTASY X. It's a great "Gateway" FF game in get into the series.
---
FINAL FANTASY XV
Please be a great game, we need you to be one.
#4LeatherFace29(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 11:34:57 PM
pokemon_45_79_1 posted...
Lets see one it uses the traditional overworld world map, for one unlike any console FF this gen so far, and it doesn't stray away from the traditional JRPG elements seen from the 90's.

Gotcha. So Final Fantasy now lacks what made it so popular. Kinda like the DMC2 effect and now DMC3 is Ni No Kuni.
---
#5LegionSoupPosted 2/17/2013 11:37:10 PM
There haven't been a lot of good traditional JRPGs in a while. Most companies are trying to evolve this formula. Final Fantasy is a prime example. However, people don't want it to evolve so much that it changes the style of game it actually is.

One of the main things that makes RPGs good (at least to me) is your character's growth. And one of the best ways to show a character's growth is to have towns with new weapons/gear that make an immediate impact when you equip these items.

I miss the good old days, though, when I'd find a new town, and there's be some sword in the shop that was so expensive I wouldn't be able to afford it for another 20 hours of gameplay. Those were the days.

Persona 4 is doing well because it has a really fun set of characters in a well told story. It also keeps in line with the traditional leveling up and buying new weapons. Persona, in my opinion, is the right way for JRPGs to evolve.

However, as Dragon Quest Curse of the King on the PS2 (and Ni No Kuni) prove, people LOVE the classic formula, when done well.
#6pokemon_45_79_1Posted 2/17/2013 11:39:26 PM(edited)
From: LeatherFace29 | Posted: 2/17/2013 10:34:57 PM | #004
pokemon_45_79_1 posted...

Gotcha. So Final Fantasy now lacks what made it so popular. Kinda like the DMC2 effect and now DMC3 is Ni No Kuni.
---

Yep maybe if XIII didn't suffer from the COD syndrome it might have been better.

You see NNK caters to the niche audience not the mainstream so its a complete east JRPG and doesn't cater to the west unlike FF on console this gen.
---
Ryoma / Sora / Naruto / Luffy / Ginta
Young heroes between the ages of 12-17 make RPG and other video games better then older heroes 18-21 and over.
#7AlltraPosted 2/17/2013 11:39:56 PM
It basically amounts to 3 things for me.

-Lack of freedom.

-Lack of interactivity.

-Lack of exploration.

I can't say the entire game is like this, because Gran Pulse is exactly like that, but that's only one very tiny portion of the game about 3/4 of the way through it.

Whereas Ni No Kuni is the completely opposite of that for the entire game. Tons of freedom doing all manner of things, lots of interactivity with the world, NPCs, and even your own party members, and great deal of interesting places to explore that are full of content.

One other thing I'll say, is that the reason I want all of that stuff is because it gives life to the world. I firmly believe that the biggest draw of RPGs is the creation of a fantasy world, and giving the player the freedom, interactivity, and content goes a long way toward helping create that life.
---
I kill because I'm weak. Too weak to incapacitate an aggressor without killing them. Killing is easy. Not having to fight is hard.
#8LeatherFace29(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 11:41:16 PM
AgitoXIII posted...
Can't help but wonder why you care if you aren't much a JRPG fan

Just curious.
---
#9MairuzuPosted 2/18/2013 12:58:43 AM
Alltra posted...
It basically amounts to 3 things for me.

-Lack of freedom.

-Lack of interactivity.

-Lack of exploration.

I can't say the entire game is like this, because Gran Pulse is exactly like that, but that's only one very tiny portion of the game about 3/4 of the way through it.

Whereas Ni No Kuni is the completely opposite of that for the entire game. Tons of freedom doing all manner of things, lots of interactivity with the world, NPCs, and even your own party members, and great deal of interesting places to explore that are full of content.

One other thing I'll say, is that the reason I want all of that stuff is because it gives life to the world. I firmly believe that the biggest draw of RPGs is the creation of a fantasy world, and giving the player the freedom, interactivity, and content goes a long way toward helping create that life.

This sums up all my thoughts exactly. FFXIII felt like an endless hallway filled with cutscenes and battles that seem more like QTEs.
---
She's got you high and you don't even know yet...
You can't deny you're looking for the sunset.
#10Doober2Posted 2/18/2013 1:33:44 AM
Honestly, the only things this game did better for me than FFXIII, was that it had a world map and ways to travel it. That's badly missing from modern FF games. I also liked that it has weapon and armour to buy and equip, but everything else, I preferred FFXIII. Story, characters, side content, and in particular, the battle system which knocks the crap out of Ni No Kunis.

AgitoXIII posted...
Can't help but wonder why you care if you aren't much a JRPG fan but I can try to answer your question....

FFXIII is an RPG that isn't much of an RPG. It lacks many thing people come to expect in a J or W RPG. Exploration, mini-game here and there, optional side question. It also lacks a great comprehensive mythology that can be understood in ONE game completion without the need of sequels.

Ni no Kuni is pretty much what people expect in a typical RPG. It's the opposite really.

Oh and BTW, if you've not played any FF games, I would strongely recommend FINAL FANTASY X. It's a great "Gateway" FF game in get into the series.

Side quests and mini games are all well and good, but only if done well. Ni No Kunis sidequests, are bloody awful, in fact, probably the worst optional content I've seen in a JRPG. As for mini games, I can only think of one mini game I actually loved, and that was FFVIIIs card game. Again, mini games are only good if done well, otherwise, they just become a tedious chore.
---
Currently Playing:Dead or Alive 5, Ni No Kuni