Question for all you JRPG fans

#71Tom344Posted 2/18/2013 3:12:49 PM
MoonlightJust posted...
I had some issues with it, but I enjoyed it overall. And even if I hadn't, it wouldn't have killed my enjoyment of X.

The only one to even come close to that so far is XIII-2. Just for...that god awful story, and their poor attempt at retconning the ending of XIII.

Ah I should've been more specific. It killed the ending of FFX for me.
#72thebluickPosted 2/18/2013 4:20:09 PM
I liked XIII-2 and hated XIII. XIII-2 almost made completing XIII worth it. The story was still terrible, but at least the game was FUN. XIII was just a boring, serious, trudge.
#73Thanatos2kPosted 2/18/2013 7:20:24 PM
It is not better, at all....Already said why, a couple of new mechanics do not make up for bad design from the rest of games battle system, like the pathetic enemies you fight. Many JRPGs fall for this, having the boss fights a decent challenge, and the normal enemies being a total pushover.

Um.......the massive difficulty spikes of FF13 were a flaw, not a benefit.

FFXIII is one of the few where the normal enemies give a decent fight. XIII-2 came along, and crapped all over that, making the basic enemies, a complete joke you can pretty much just spam area of effect moves on and not bother with and buffs or debuffs.

That's exactly what I did in FF13, and it worked fine. Sometimes I'd die when they ganged up on the leader. Most times I won with 5 stars. So........

So your telling me you could go through FF13 using only one paradigm setup?

Rav Rav Com beat most random battles, yes.

Chocobo hot and cold is by far the funnest sidequest I have ever played.

....What.
---
-Thanatos2k-
#74MoonlightJustPosted 2/18/2013 8:30:56 PM
thebluick posted...
I liked XIII-2 and hated XIII. XIII-2 almost made completing XIII worth it. The story was still terrible, but at least the game was FUN. XIII was just a boring, serious, trudge.

I enjoyed XIII-2 more then XIII too. It was just more fun overall. One of the rare times I'll take a game with a much, MUCH worse narrative over one with a ((questionably)) better one.

Tom344 posted...
MoonlightJust posted...
I had some issues with it, but I enjoyed it overall. And even if I hadn't, it wouldn't have killed my enjoyment of X.

The only one to even come close to that so far is XIII-2. Just for...that god awful story, and their poor attempt at retconning the ending of XIII.

Ah I should've been more specific. It killed the ending of FFX for me.

Yeah, some people had that issue. The possible endings for X-2 took away a lot of the impact of X. I never got that personally, but I absolutely understand the sentiment.
#75najzerePosted 2/19/2013 12:55:33 AM
As a fan of FFXIII (and moreso FFXIII-2) and Ni no Kuni, I'd say the main difference is Ni no Kuni has a great story and lots of side stuff to do, and FFXIII has a great combat system and pretty graphics. Wrangling with Ni no Kuni's AI party system only highlights how much better FFXIII's system is. It's funny that two games that are both supposed to be JRPGs can be so different and yet both so good.
---
http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/?name=najzere&platform=ps3