Is this game loyal to the Studio Ghibli ethos?

#1ProbinatorPosted 2/18/2013 1:47:19 PM
As I understand it, Hayao Miyazaki swore off of involvement with games after a NES Nausicaa game which was nothing but killing, undermining the spirit of the film.

So my question is, does this game's story feel like a Studio Ghibli story? From the demo it seemed more like a generic kids' fantas RPG, but i realise that is a small glimpse of the whole game.

I've heard Ghibli-esque bandied around about things like Valkyria Chronicles or Dennou Coil, which are in no way something which Studio Ghibli would make.

So does the Level 5-ness undermine the Ghibli-ness?
---
"They don't need punishment, they need gun-ishment!"
#2Probinator(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 1:50:02 PM
Oh, Gravity Daze/Rush is another thing which I have inappropriately described as Ghibli-esque.
---
#3ArsenicSteelPosted 2/18/2013 1:51:30 PM
The Ghibli-ness starts and stops at the animated scenes and character designs. The story is Level 5's. Ghibli doesn't have a trademark on child-like stories in Japan.
---
A heretic among heretics.
#4SigmaHacielPosted 2/18/2013 2:04:13 PM
Ghibli shoulda had more say in the story.
#5Ness0123456789Posted 2/18/2013 2:46:27 PM

Eh, not really. The story was fine up through the Shadar storyline. The only time it fell apart was during the post game with the White Witch. But that's generally how Level 5 games usually end up to be honest. The Tacked on "addition" story lines they always try to add always fall short of the main storyline.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#6PhaseSlaethePosted 2/18/2013 2:53:24 PM
Ness0123456789 posted...

Eh, not really. The story was fine up through the Shadar storyline. The only time it fell apart was during the post game with the White Witch. But that's generally how Level 5 games usually end up to be honest. The Tacked on "addition" story lines they always try to add always fall short of the main storyline.

Yeah, the DS portion was solid.

The "true villain" crap needs to die.

But, a Ghibli story in a game (least one not involving JUST daily life) would be fantastic.
#7Cecero2Posted 2/18/2013 2:57:14 PM
Ness0123456789 posted...

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you. Everything up to the White Witch is excellent. However, I did like the line "You are wrong. You are really alone" then the counsel vanishes. That part was excellent, but to have her story exactly the same as the the Dark Jinn was weak.
#8Probinator(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 3:09:13 PM
Sad to hear it isn't a traditional Ghibli yarn, but that was to be expected really. I'm a little disappointed that Ghibli agreed to what is to some extent contract work, but then they were involved in Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, so it wouldn't be the first time. I suppose money makes hypocrites of us all.

Not to be too down on the game since I am still excited to play it, but I was a bit surprised and confused about Ghibli's involvement in this, and it sounds like my concerns came true.
---
#9ArsenicSteelPosted 2/18/2013 3:23:25 PM
Probinator posted...
Sad to hear it isn't a traditional Ghibli yarn, but that was to be expected really. I'm a little disappointed that Ghibli agreed to what is to some extent contract work, but then they were involved in Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, so it wouldn't be the first time. I suppose money makes hypocrites of us all.

Not to be too down on the game since I am still excited to play it, but I was a bit surprised and confused about Ghibli's involvement in this, and it sounds like my concerns came true.

What the hell? Ghibli didn't sell out or lower themselves by doing work on something they were not 100% responsible for.

There's nothing confusing about Ghibli's involvement if you actually took the time to read about the production and goals for NNK instead of dredging up some outdated comment from Hayao Miyazaki and pretending that opinions don't change over time.
---
A heretic among heretics.
#10Probinator(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 3:52:29 PM
I've read some of the production spin, Level-5 boss approached Ghibli to see if they were onboard with making an RPG, which they were and they had some degree of control over the outcome. As I was previously informed Miyazaki was not involved in the project and left the project to other members of the staff. I'm sure a lot of passion was put into the project by Studio Ghibli, but this is definiitely appears to be a product cashing in on their reputation.

For all of Miyazaki's comments denigating other anime to make his own products look better, I was surprised to see that his animation house agreed to do the animation for a game. I'm sure they will have had a larger degree of creative control than someone like Studio 4C when they are doing the animation for an RPG. It's like any crossover/collaboration like Project X Zone, its financially led, and from the auteurist piousness that Miyazaki had previously expressed I did not expect to see Ghibli agree to something like this.
---