What kept this game out of your top 5?

#1theHARDESTjediPosted 2/19/2013 5:21:56 AM
To crack my top 5, I needed the game to let go of my hand. We are given some potentially neat tools to solve problems but rarely allowed to decide how and when to use them! Traveling between worlds for example. When we are presented with a problem, and finding someones soul mate is the solution, I want fail until I figure out that's what i needed to do. Not have Drippy tell me right out of the gates: "so...I suppose we should travel to your world, ent it?......Mun".

The persistent training wheels keeps this one from achieving greatness.
#2scitch1Posted 2/19/2013 5:39:49 AM
meh its not that bad , it saves confusing for some people , i guess they are trying to make it accessible for everyone . most games these days are easy and hold you hand
---
PSN = scott_2781
Add my PSN :)
#3xphoenixonxPosted 2/19/2013 5:43:04 AM
Boring post game.
---
GT-Jake Muller91, PS3 X0XNixonX0X
Bring back resident evil outbreak!
#4AlltraPosted 2/19/2013 5:51:28 AM
-Kiddy story and presentation. The overworld was cool, but I wasn't digging the character and monster designs. To a lot of people this was probably the biggest draw, but I'm just not a fan of this style. The hand holding was a bit much too, and the game felt like it was talking down to me.

-The battle system has a number of little issues.

-There's very little NPC interaction, and the dialog isn't all that great.

-The Taming System seems designed to make the process as time consuming as possible.
---
I kill because I'm weak. Too weak to incapacitate an aggressor without killing them. Killing is easy. Not having to fight is hard.
#5Kizu7Posted 2/19/2013 6:06:45 AM
VERY boring battle system

and as TC said, too much hand holding.
#6SlaynPosted 2/19/2013 6:22:32 AM
I agree I really hate that part. Literally just holds your hand the whole way.

LITERALLY!!!!1
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#7imsalingawayPosted 2/19/2013 7:02:09 AM
My biggest problem with the game is certainly the taming process. I wish the game would have introduced some consumables that would make a familiar easier to tame. Besides that, I have a couple of lesser issues.

Combat feels clunky. There were a few times that I had Mite walking around a boss or other large creature so he could aparrently hit him within the relatively small hit box instead of just attacking anywhere. Then there was the sheer amount of times that my team would constantly get in each other's way on regular monsters and how stupid the AI was. Not a great experience.

Finally the ending bothered me. Short, unsatisfying and didn't even have an animated sequence. Was there even an animated sequence in the second half of the game at all? In either case, disappointing.
#8feraldrgnPosted 2/19/2013 7:13:49 AM(edited)
1. Some minor flaws in battles.
But if I think about it, almost every RPG has had some flaw or another with the battle system, a lot of them being an "x to win" journey.
Honestly this is only a minor thing & I don't think this is why people find the battles boring.

2. The capture rate, not saying I'd want a 50-25 or even 20% chance, but I'd be happy if it was 10% atleast.

3. No option to turn off Drippy's hints, keep it for the younger audience, sure, but allow me to toggle it.

4. The lack of a higher difficulty.
This I'm pretty sure, is why people find the battles boring, with a lower difficulty comes a less complicated AI & battles are over far too quickly to feel like it meant anything.

Opinion piece. The world being smaller than I thought.
I was exploring all over the place with the boat & the world seemed to open up a bit, but as soon as I got the dragon & had very limited places I could land, I was pretty disappointed.

I can understand the amount of artistic work that's gone into the world by Studio Ghibli, it's a fantastic looking world, the grass moving in the breeze, the waves & the clouds.

It's all fantastic, but for me personally, Dragon Quest VIII felt bigger some how.
It holds the same charm, but on a smaller scale.
I do like it... It's just missing something that DQVIII had.
#9dudeitscoolPosted 2/19/2013 8:07:05 AM
I love RPG's with more than 3 characters (the familiars don't count since they don't really have personality or lines).

Hence my love of the Suikoden series.
---
Looking at the big picture is easier on the eyes...
#10dudeitscoolPosted 2/19/2013 8:07:29 AM
dudeitscool posted...
I love RPG's with more than 3 characters (the familiars don't count since they don't really have personality or lines).

Hence my love of the Suikoden series.

Forgot to add, the only RPG I loved that had ONLY 3 playable characters was Wild Arms.
---
Looking at the big picture is easier on the eyes...