What kept this game out of your top 5?

#11Bane766Posted 2/19/2013 9:16:07 AM
I'm not anywher near finishing it, but my complaints so far are the stupid AI (this has been handled better in other games, I dunno why they couldn't get a very important part like this correct) and the poor capture rates as others have said-fighting the same monster over and over again is tedious (Naja I'm looking at you) and I know it gets even worse later on.
---
Douleur Peur Mort
#12gws0891Posted 2/19/2013 11:06:43 AM
I'm about 20 hours in, I'm enjoying it, but a couple minor grips:

Fast twitch gameplay. I hated this about FFXIII and I am not loving this about NNK. With FFXIII all it seems I did during combat was keep my eye on gauges. I couldn't take my eyes off of the multitude of filling gauges to actually pay attention to the lush combat graphics and so forth because every 0.25 seconds I had to be pressing some kind of button. Same thing with NNK more or less. In fact if battles are challenging it's because I'm too busy looking at one thing (an action timer) and I miss that the boss is charging for an attack and forget to initiate All Out Defense.

At what point did RPGs decide that they all needed this gameplay element? I realize that battles would progress much slower with traditional turn based systems but then . . . do you really need to have the player fighting a hundred trillion random encounters by games end?

Either that or provide a robust pre-set action system like FFXII's gambit system and let the play step back a little bit.

Just my 0.02. Still like the game so far though. Much better than FFXIII which would have been the last JRPG I played. It reminds me a bit of SMT:Nocturne but with better production values.
#13BloodPanther0Posted 2/19/2013 11:11:03 AM
To some guy before, there are actually 4 chara-Oh wait, isn't that a huge spoiler or something around here?

Anyway, my answer is nothing. This one's a comfortable #3 for me.
#14potatodoodPosted 2/19/2013 11:49:21 AM
Keep in mind, I just got my dragon, so I'm not finished yet, but all the problems I have are pretty small, but there's a lot and they do add up.

Pacing-it's a little slow for my taste, though the story is still interesting

Give/take heart mechanic is clunky, wish you could hotkey it, or any spells for that matter

don't mind the familiars, but I do wish the evolutions were more than reskins

the same problems everyone has in battles-the ai is not great, but is functional, if just barely. Also the trick animations, how they cancel actions, for example, if I was taming a monster, and another one would use a trick, it would interrupt my taming process.

and obviously the luck based taming mechanic

there may be a few more problems I can think of, but none right now.
#15thatsbrutalPosted 2/19/2013 11:59:03 AM
I loved this game. I thought it was very endearing and fun.

However, these are the reasons It would not be in my top five.

It is not Chronotrigger, Earthbound, Suikoden II, DQ VIII, or FFVI. that is all.
---
Currently playing: Ni No Kuni, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward and Xenoblade Chronicles
#16chaos_belmontPosted 2/19/2013 12:01:46 PM
Not a single tune REALLY stood out. (this is big for me)

To many tedious things like waiting to take/give heart, like 8sec before each fight etc. (really it's not a gamebreaker but it could have made the whole experience SO much less tedious)

I like it a lot, it simply never moved me to the point where I could not see myself without it.
---
Sorcerer, king of dark intentions, pro skiller, sensual pleasures pirate, constant hankering for honey, sprinkly toes thrillseeker extraordinaire.
#17the voidPosted 2/19/2013 12:02:47 PM
gws0891 posted...
I'm about 20 hours in, I'm enjoying it, but a couple minor grips:

Fast twitch gameplay. I hated this about FFXIII and I am not loving this about NNK. With FFXIII all it seems I did during combat was keep my eye on gauges. I couldn't take my eyes off of the multitude of filling gauges to actually pay attention to the lush combat graphics and so forth because every 0.25 seconds I had to be pressing some kind of button. Same thing with NNK more or less. In fact if battles are challenging it's because I'm too busy looking at one thing (an action timer) and I miss that the boss is charging for an attack and forget to initiate All Out Defense.

At what point did RPGs decide that they all needed this gameplay element? I realize that battles would progress much slower with traditional turn based systems but then . . . do you really need to have the player fighting a hundred trillion random encounters by games end?

Either that or provide a robust pre-set action system like FFXII's gambit system and let the play step back a little bit.

Just my 0.02. Still like the game so far though. Much better than FFXIII which would have been the last JRPG I played. It reminds me a bit of SMT:Nocturne but with better production values.

Yeah, this was my biggest pet peeve with some rpg's this gen (ff13 and white knight chronicles come to mind). Action-RPG gameplay where one button press translates into one action is great. A real time battle with a menu interface is just cumbersome, and creates artificial difficulty via poor interface.
---
void in your head, void between your ears, void everywhere
#18drclaeysPosted 2/19/2013 12:03:12 PM
Friends,

I seem to like games with strip clubs and whore houses. Not sure why. Mass effect, pole dancers.... LOVE THAT. Fable, red like district, Love it. Game of thrones. check, Fallout, new vegas, I think check. Saints row, El Check o.

This game. NOPE, no strippers, no red light districts. Not even one bit of skin, on a person over 18.

Maybe in some DLC, Oliver will take hes pokemon to the whorehouse for some Much needed R and R.

Thank you for sharing.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan.
#19SludgyPosted 2/19/2013 12:05:47 PM
Only real gripes I have with the game are that the monsters will get in each others way quite often(even more so with larger familiars like the strangler fish or Grimrays)

and Drippy and all his "useful" hints at things. No way!? Are you saying I should try to avoid taking full damage from an attack called Omega Death Explosion Punch? Thanks Drippy! I never would have guessed >.>

also..."En it"...I will set fire to all the fairies if I have to here that anymore...all the fairies...
#20littlecletusPosted 2/19/2013 12:12:06 PM
What kept this out of my top 5 and may possibly keep me from finishing the game at all is the way familiars level.

I always feel like I have at least one familiar attached to each of my party members that is doing nothing. Just there to leech EXP. And when I finally get my favorite familairs to a level where I can morph them....they become useless again and the whole crappy parade starts over. Eventually, in order to get the familiars I want to use leveled to the point where I can use them without getting my ass kicked, I am now way overleveled and mobs that are supposed to be kicking my behind are running from me....and I am cursed as a frog....yet they keep running from me.

I recently picked up Fire Emblem Awakenings and I haven't played NNK since. I took a week off of work last week, expecting to nerd out on FE and NNK and I did not even turn NNK on except to pick up the Draggle ticket.
NNK can learn from Fire Emblem.
When you switch to another class in Fire Emblem, something I am equating to morphing your familair in NNK, you start at level 1 for the class, but you are still a badass and completely viable in combat.

For me, something like that would have made all the difference in NNK....well that and the ability to assign true tactics to your party members.
---
Are you a bug, Bill Murray?