Starting Familiar Guide for New Players

#1diviniPosted 2/23/2013 3:41:03 AM(edited)
I made this guide to help people new to the game that have questions on good familiars to catch early on soon after you get the ability to tame that are good to use throughout the game. I based these suggestions mostly on personal experience, so don't let what I say dissuade you from trying out other familiars if you really want to use them.

In addition, I posted my postgame familiar setup at the end, just to show you the path I took.

Two gameplay mechanics that you should know before reading:
1. Preferred Genus' get a 10% stat boost, which is significant (so I'll be sticking to the preferred genus for each human in this guide)
2. Familiars will have higher stats for their next forms if you level their previous forms to the maximum. Therefore, if you want the best stats possible for a certain familiar, you should raise them from their first forms, at level 1, and always level to the maximum before you metamorphosis.

Oliver:

His first familiar Mite is very average compared to other familiars that are obtainable that fulfills his role as a physical attacker. This is because the Mite line are physical attackers that specialize in high accuracy (and mediocre everything else), and quite frankly Accuracy is the most underwhelming stat in the game. Being forced to evolve it early certainly doesn't help either.

--

Attacker: The Naja (Ding Dong Well), and the Purrloiner (Castaway Cove) are great familiars you can tame off the bat with excellent stat growth and high attack speed. The Plessie (Sea Northwest of Autmnia) is also a solid choice - though it trades attack speed for better defenses.

--

Tank: Little Bighorn (Old Smokey) is what you're looking for. Good attack, physical resistant, and has a strong movepool (like getting Spire of Fire so early). I consider it an upgraded Mite, since they even come with the same gear slots.

One thing to note however, is that the Little Bighorn line gets easily outclassed both in damage dealing and taking once you reach the late/post-game. The Dracones genus in particular in gets powerhouses like the Dinoceros (Genie's Steps) and the Sapdragon (Post-game) for example...

--

Magic: Worker Bumbler (Golden Grove) has very good magic attack, but you'll need to use magic gems on it since it learns mostly physical attacks. You won't find as good of a magic user until the Sillymander (Vault of Tears) far later.

Note that Oliver himself more than makes up for a lack of magic familiars with his wide array of attack magic he eventually gets. His healing power is lackluster though, so a Lagoon Naiad (Islands South of Summerlands, or free from Temple of Trials) is a good support familiar to round out Oliver's party, even if it's not one of his preferred Genus (Nymphae). This is because the Naiad line is arguably the best pure healing/support familiar in the game.

--

My postgame party: Mahanaja(Naja), Catastroceros(Dinoceros), Greater Naiad(Lagoon Naiad)/Scrapdragon(Sapdragon).
#2divini(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 3:33:18 AM
Esther:

Attacker: The first thing you want to do it is pick up a good physical attacker to complement her magic-using first familiar. If you happen to have Griffy (DLC), you're set. Otherwise, good choices are the Spanglerfish (Ding Dong Well), Napcap (Golden Grove), or Hooray (Sea South of Summerlands). The Spanglerfish line is stronger early, the Hooray is good all around, and the Napcap is weak early but really strong late game. (in addition to doubling as a strong spellcaster)

--

Tank: You could grab a Green Buncher (Desert) early, but nothing compares to the sheer tanking power of the Lumberwood (No Longer Mine Island), which also happens to be a decent healer. It's really no contest.

--

Magic: Unlike Oliver and Swaine, Esther's first familiar, Gogo, is a great all-around magic-type familiar that can be used in all stages of the game. Its magic stat is a bit on the low end compared to other pure spellcasters, but the Drongo line has an excellent movepool with good healing, water spells, and wind/light spells.

For other choices, the Sleepeafowl (Rolling Hills), and the Sparkee (Sea South of Summerlands) are better than Gogo for pure magic damage with their insanely high magic stat. The Bubbud (Ding Dong Well), and Napcap (again, only at high levels) are decent as well.

--

My postgame party: Grimray(Hooray), Wildwood(Lumberwood), Fluorongo(Drongo)/Acee(Sparkee)
#3divini(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 3:39:14 AM(edited)
Swaine:

Attacker: Only human that starts with a familiar they AREN'T PREFERRED WITH. (I have no idea why). Right from the start, give Swaine your Thumbelemur as a starter, since it's probably been leveled.

The Bonehead (Desert) has high attack, good attack speed, resistant to physical, and can evolve into a familiar that is top 5 familiar in terms of its attack stat. (though only in late game)

The Bestiae Genus are in general good physical familiars all around, but they all tend to have some weak link to make them underwhelming. For example: having high attack speed/low attack OR high attack/low attack speed, poor equipment choices (hi there Imphant), and poor movepool - many of the 3rd evolutions have powerful magic spells... but the Bestiae magic stats are extremely low...

--

Tank: The Monolith (Castaway Cove) and, a little bit later, the Tin-Man (Pig Iron Plains) are your two best choices here. The Tin-Man is the better physical attacker, while the Monolith is the better spellcaster.

--

Magic: You won't find any good magic attackers for Swain's Genus' very early on. You'll have to wait until Tombstone Trail where you'll suddenly be awash with Mortui spellcasters, the most notable being the Wisp and the Girlfiend - These two combining very high magic with great movepools once you reach the 3rd evolutions.

--

My postgame party: Paleolith(Neolith), Bone Baron(Bonehead), Granddamned(Girlfiend)

--

Hoped this little mini-guide helped and thanks for reading!
#4KINGLUCIFPosted 2/23/2013 4:46:08 AM
Crap.
---
Lucifer... The Supreme Kai Of The Ink Scribe.. http://www.youtube.com/DiDiSiMp
My Music!
#5nWoStylePosted 2/23/2013 7:23:00 AM
Very helpful! I used IGN's guide and they really only detail early finds and encourage duplicates, but you also round it out with roles and decent mid-game alternatives.
Now i feel like a fool for feeding the Mite, Green Buncher, and my Seed Sprite tons of treats while the Drongo, Tumblemur, Monolith, and others go hungry.

Any familiars you get early on that you would keep until the end of the game (if not the post-game)?
---
That's not suspicious at all!
PSN: anthler316; 3DS: 3840-5352-3266
#6ServothegreatPosted 2/23/2013 7:24:50 AM
Thanks for putting the work into this!
#7KonstrixPosted 2/23/2013 7:30:24 AM
This is a very good guide. New players should surely appreciate this. Well done, divini!
#8GothannPosted 2/23/2013 7:31:49 AM
Great work. Sure is a helluva lot better than the starting familiar guide on IGN's Wiki, too.

By the way, do you have anything for Marcassin? Like familiars you can train in any empty familiar slots on Oliver/Esther/Swaine?

I know that it's possible to just grind out on Tokotokos and Tokocolds by the time you get to that point, but it's still a fun proposition for people who like planning things out.
---
Fair does not exist. Fair is a word from a world of happy fantasies.
#9divini(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 10:56:00 AM(edited)
Gothann posted...
Great work. Sure is a helluva lot better than the starting familiar guide on IGN's Wiki, too.

By the way, do you have anything for Marcassin? Like familiars you can train in any empty familiar slots on Oliver/Esther/Swaine?

I know that it's possible to just grind out on Tokotokos and Tokocolds by the time you get to that point, but it's still a fun proposition for people who like planning things out.

I purposely left that out, since he appears much, much later and by then, players should have a good idea what they're looking for.

Daemonia, Nymphae, and Minima tend to be mostly spellcasters, so I specialized him for that role. I would say a good familiar to train for him early is the Turbandit, which uses multiple magic elements and can reach almost 400 m.attack without gear. It can't boost its magic attack through weapons though (Axe), but it does make it a good all around familiar with its naturally high magic attack and boosted physical attack.

For my example, When I subbed him in occasionally, I simply gave him either my Wildwood or Paleolith (depending on who I replaced), my Greater Naiad for healing, and a Turban Myth for damage.

nWoStyle posted...
Very helpful! I used IGN's guide and they really only detail early finds and encourage duplicates, but you also round it out with roles and decent mid-game alternatives.
Now i feel like a fool for feeding the Mite, Green Buncher, and my Seed Sprite tons of treats while the Drongo, Tumblemur, Monolith, and others go hungry.

Any familiars you get early on that you would keep until the end of the game (if not the post-game)?

Actually, the Seed Sprite is a very good magic caster too. It's just that it isn't in the preferred genus pools of a human character until much, much later.
#10CitizenCraigPosted 2/23/2013 12:43:48 PM
Gothann posted...

If you're interested in completing the game as soon as possible or getting the platinum as soon as possible, you probably shouldn't bother with using the 4th character. Esther can capture monsters and Swaine can steal key items. The 4th character is pretty much useless.
---
For PS3 trophy stats, submit your PSN to:
psnprofiles.com psntrophyleaders.com