game get any better?

#1rutgurtPosted 2/26/2013 8:52:24 AM
I'm a couple hours in, and I have to admit, it's boring as hell. Is the whole game going to be as boring as following a star on a map to my next designation? I can not emphasize enough how the recent trend of marking quest designations on a map has ruined gaming and any sense of immersion with the game's environment. I don't feel like i've explored the town at all. I just follow the star to the next goal. There's no sense of accomplishment in finding the right place to go next.

So, with that said, does the game get any better? Or am I going to be chasing the star on my map the entire game, press X, or do something simple, and go to the next designation? The battle system isn't particularly amazing (though it's not bad either), so I was hoping at least the adventure elements would make up for it. The story isn't particularly engaging yet either. Just met the cat king.
---
Currently playing: The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, Torchlight II, Dark Souls, Darksiders II, Resident Evil 6, Dishonored
#2rutgurt(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 8:54:35 AM
at least the other JRPG's, as simple and semi-linear as they are, didn't blatantly mark on the map where to go to next! This is ridiculous! It might as well be a game on rails, or better yet, just fast travel to each destination. It's the same thing.
---
Currently playing: The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, Torchlight II, Dark Souls, Darksiders II, Resident Evil 6, Dishonored
#3slipknotfan288Posted 2/26/2013 8:55:20 AM
I thank you can turn the map off.
---
"as i was going up the stair, i met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. i wish i wish he'd go away"
#4rutgurt(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 8:55:58 AM
and let me just say that i'm not trolling, I just feel slightly frustrated at spending $60 and i'm just not feeling the "wow" effect the reviews led me to believe. Actually, i'm quite bored.
---
#5rutgurt(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 8:59:20 AM
ummm, turning the map off is not a solution. For starters, I need a map, I just don't like it blatantly pointing out where to go. Secondly, when a game doesn't blatantly tell you where to go, it gives you hints and clues within the quest descriptions or character dialogue to help you find the destination. But when they blatantly mark on the map where to go, they they don't bother to include any relevant info in the gameplay dialogue or description for where to go (ie, compare Morrowind and Oblivion quest information).

So no, there's nothing here that suffices. Fast travel and map markers are the unfortunate result of a lazy mainstream audience of players to which the developers have catered to.
---
#6Lisa_SimpsonPosted 2/26/2013 9:09:30 AM
I'm about 4 hours in, and I'm heading out of Ding Dong Dell to go to Al Mamoon. I thought the destination markers at the very beginning were a little ridiculous, too. There was no need to mark such a small area. The game does definitely hold your hand a little too much at the beginning.

I feel like it's evened out a bit now that I'm a couple hours in. There's still the markers, but now you can opt to do sidequests, bounty hunts, and explore the town to get treasures. At this point, I feel like the destination markers are a good thing, so that I know where to go to advance the plot when I'm done doing the extra stuff.
---
Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that!
-George Carlin
#7wildzero00Posted 2/26/2013 9:15:23 AM
Turn the star off.
---
PSN: NeverKnowsBest00
#8rutgurt(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 9:16:46 AM
quest markers don't belong in games, especially games like this which aren't even fully open world anyway. PERIOD
---
#9MlREFOXPosted 2/26/2013 9:19:53 AM
wildzero00 posted...
Turn the star off.

This.

Also, having a star doesn't prevent you from exploring. If you just follow the star all game, you will miss half the content.
#10Sin_HarvesterPosted 2/26/2013 9:28:11 AM
To each his own, I guess. The game is interesting for me RIGHT from the start, and only the end-game part is a bit less engaging.

To answer your question, lemme ask you one question first.

what did you expect from the game?

If you are looking for a Final Fantasy Tactics ?Tactics Ogre level deep story from this game, it isn't here. This is not the point of this game.This game's is charming as in term of Dragon Quest V or VIII is charming. Fairy tales wonders, if I say so myself.

Some wonders aloud what's so great about this game, well, it take maturity to see the greatness of this game.
---
Ni no Kuni, the first ever JRPG reach #1 in UK chart beside FF and Pokemon in 10 years.