Which Familiars do you use Endgame / Postgame?

#1johnrayjrPosted 4/4/2013 8:19:08 AM
So I beat Ni No Kuni (in about 46 hours) and now I've put about four hours into the postgame.

My party for the last third of the game was:

Oliver: Puss in Boats, Catastroceros, Mahanaja (not a very original party, I know).
Esther: Spangerlish, Fluorongo, Wildwood
Swaine: Bone Baron, Steam Man (alternately, Neolith), Phantasma.

Currently, Bone Baron is level 85, Puss in Boats is level 67 (I don't bother leveling him anymore because his final stat gains are pathetic), Phantasma is 82, Catastrocerous is 24, etc.

I've been really impressed with Phantasma's all-around high stats, but I still don't find many chances to use her. Puss in Boats with the right sword and the Dragonstooth ring is still very powerful, even though Mahanaja has 80 or so more attack at this point. I used Spanglerfish with Esther for literally the whole game, and think it is a very underrated familiar (Power Surge is a great miracle move, for one thing).

Currently, I am about to metamorph Duncecap into Nightcap, and Hippeafowl into its third form. What other familiars are good enough to consider taming? Should I grab Grimray? Should I level up my Sasquish or Hurly Burly? Or maybe a Stressie?

I don't care about catching them all, I'm just wondering if there are any obvious gaps here. Oliver and Swaine seem pretty well set. What familiars do you use in the postgame that I have not mentioned here?
#2Gamegeek123Posted 4/4/2013 8:41:26 AM
johnrayjr posted...
So I beat Ni No Kuni (in about 46 hours) and now I've put about four hours into the postgame.

My party for the last third of the game was:

Oliver: Puss in Boats, Catastroceros, Mahanaja (not a very original party, I know).
Esther: Spangerlish, Fluorongo, Wildwood
Swaine: Bone Baron, Steam Man (alternately, Neolith), Phantasma.

Currently, Bone Baron is level 85, Puss in Boats is level 67 (I don't bother leveling him anymore because his final stat gains are pathetic), Phantasma is 82, Catastrocerous is 24, etc.

I've been really impressed with Phantasma's all-around high stats, but I still don't find many chances to use her. Puss in Boats with the right sword and the Dragonstooth ring is still very powerful, even though Mahanaja has 80 or so more attack at this point. I used Spanglerfish with Esther for literally the whole game, and think it is a very underrated familiar (Power Surge is a great miracle move, for one thing).

Currently, I am about to metamorph Duncecap into Nightcap, and Hippeafowl into its third form. What other familiars are good enough to consider taming? Should I grab Grimray? Should I level up my Sasquish or Hurly Burly? Or maybe a Stressie?

I don't care about catching them all, I'm just wondering if there are any obvious gaps here. Oliver and Swaine seem pretty well set. What familiars do you use in the postgame that I have not mentioned here?

- I replaced the cat with a Mandragorer as it learns resurrection
- Catch a Sparkee for Esther (The lightning fish) and level it to an Acee. It is her strongest mage by far and easily scales better than her starting bird.
- Take out steam-man for the Neolith permanently
- Lagoon Naiad is probably the best support in the game
---
Shogunate
#3grungolahPosted 4/4/2013 8:57:37 AM
I just started my post game team, and Dinomight is awful. (Everyone picked this name, admit it!) His accuracy is abysmal at tier 2. Am I supposed to use hammers instead of axes?
#4Gamegeek123Posted 4/4/2013 9:03:19 AM
grungolah posted...
I just started my post game team, and Dinomight is awful. (Everyone picked this name, admit it!) His accuracy is abysmal at tier 2. Am I supposed to use hammers instead of axes?

You spam the monster's skills more than attacking.

My 3rd tier Dino uses the strongest axe and armor with War Cry, belly buster, and Boulder and you simply spam these skills over and over to deal massive damage.
---
Shogunate
#5grungolahPosted 4/4/2013 9:07:57 AM
Gamegeek123 posted...
grungolah posted...

You spam the monster's skills more than attacking.

My 3rd tier Dino uses the strongest axe and armor with War Cry, belly buster, and Boulder and you simply spam these skills over and over to deal massive damage.

That will work, thanks. Farming, I'm saving my mp for T-storms.
#6Elice_BarrelPosted 4/4/2013 9:39:11 AM
Hmm.. though question.
#7PirwzwhomperPosted 4/4/2013 12:22:37 PM
I always avoid the dinoceros familiars, they make the game too easy.
---
(^_^) <-- the Prophet Mohammad // APM is SC2's GearScore
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/Pirwzwhomper/C-Hheh.jpg
#8johnrayjr(Topic Creator)Posted 4/4/2013 12:27:09 PM
Pirwzwhomper posted...
I always avoid the dinoceros familiars, they make the game too easy.

I think that's giving the combat system in this game WAY too much credit. ^_^

Seriously, this is pure fluff. If you're really into mastering combat mechanics in a jRPG this isn't the right game to be playing.
#9Mystery_CooperPosted 4/4/2013 1:31:06 PM
I never changed my roster even in post-game. >_>

Dynamite, Hurlabaloo, Aye-Aye Sir, Whampire Bat, Electrongo, Lesser-Spotted Naiad, Sugarplum Sprite, Hot-Air Balloonatic, Medixx.

So, the 5 given familiars and 4 tamed ones. Got me through almost all of the game easily.
---
Brawl was released a year ago and it does everyone Melee does but better. - LunaOrngeCrush5
#10CitizenCraigPosted 4/4/2013 2:20:51 PM
Here is pretty much what I used:
http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/ni-no-kuni-wrath-white-witch/187817-best-familiars-list.html
---
For PS3 trophy stats, submit your PSN to:
psnprofiles.com & psntrophyleaders.com