Combat in this is terrible.

#1Nate_DihldorffPosted 4/11/2013 6:33:50 AM
Changes I would have made is allow all 3 characters be in the battle at a time with the other 2 being computer controlled, and give each familiar their own set of HP.
---
NCAACP- National Colored Association of Associated Colored People
#2Gamegeek123Posted 4/11/2013 8:04:30 AM
I c what you did there
---
Shogunate
#3Lukey92Posted 4/11/2013 9:03:14 AM
I'm guessing you aren't very far yet, later on you get 2 more party members so there is 3 familiars in battle at once. I do kinda agree on the hp bit though.
#4westontickleePosted 4/11/2013 11:55:43 AM
It doesn't seem very far. But sadly it doesn't get any better. I'd even say it got worse when you got another character
---
Officially done with pokemon
Official Balthier of the FFXV Board
#5jtrevor99Posted 4/11/2013 1:09:27 PM
I honestly don't see why so many people complain about the combat on these boards. Yes, there are problems - with the ally AI, with limited options, etc. - and a system like FFXII's Gambits might have been better. But I still find it to be pretty fun. What a lot of people don't seem to realize is that the decisions you make BEFORE battle regarding equipment, Tricks, etc. have a very large impact within battle, particularly when it comes to the decisions the AI makes.
#6AlltraPosted 4/11/2013 2:50:36 PM
^
Couldn't agree with you more. Yeah, there are some refinement issues with the system, but a lot of the issues people are having stem from their poor choices during setup.
---
If you're not going to share with the entire class, then don't bother sharing at all.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#7GaboadoPosted 4/11/2013 3:11:50 PM
Well, at least you can put manual comands in FFXII, but in Ni No Kuni you need to deal with Esther bad AI.
---
Official Ramuh of the FFXV board.
#8jtrevor99Posted 4/11/2013 8:46:38 PM
See, that's my point exactly. Esther doesn't actually have bad AI when you find a Familiar and equipment combo that her AI "expects".

Granted, Esther's AI is a weakness in that it ought to perform well in any circumstance. But, it is possible to set her up so her AI is pretty decent.
#9LuminaXLightPosted 4/11/2013 9:41:00 PM
westonticklee posted...
It doesn't seem very far. But sadly it doesn't get any better. I'd even say it got worse when you got another character

I agree with this. People really like to make excuses to make the battle system look better, but it doesn't.
---
Anise, she's bursting with fonons
#10mecha_mkIIPosted 4/11/2013 11:18:07 PM
Alltra posted...
^
Couldn't agree with you more. Yeah, there are some refinement issues with the system, but a lot of the issues people are having stem from their poor choices during setup.

You might make it manageable, but it still won't be any more intuitive nor will it be fun. Also you don't have a good way to check which familiars are effective in use or not, the interfaces lack important information, it has weird command prompts, unfair cancels, camera angles that cause you to miss out cues for enemy attacks, weird placements when switching familiars and pointlessly hidden menus both in and out battle (tactics to name one). The AI is far from the only thing that makes the combat terrible.

The point is, they could have made it good and functional, but they didn't. The whole command roll is a bad idea when you sometimes need to make quick decisions. It could have mapped button prompts and maybe other AI cues besides all out attack/defence as well. Nothing was stopping these kind of simple design choices, that they've used before in their games too. They just chose not to and half-assed it.