Ok...after MUCH review...I must ask the community..

#1tachion13Posted 4/21/2013 9:52:18 AM
I am in a bind....there is such a widespread divide between this games perfect reviews and pretty mediocre to dismal reviews.

I want to believe the perfect scores, but part of me knows SOMETHING must have made other reviewers give the 70 and below scores (On metacritic).

Even after looking at the GameFaq reviews, there seems to be a divide..."BRILLIANT!" to "Dull and more of the same".

Are there any deciding factors for any of you out there as to if I should pick this game up? I'm familiar with Studio Ghibli and their movies, but have not seen all of them, so I am coming from this as someone who is looking for a good, deep JRPG.

I miss the day sof being addicted to the Suikoden franchise, having the desire to find every last character to recruit.

I miss the days of being addicted to Wild Arms franchise and having to find all the summonable guardians.

I miss the addiction of the older Final Fantasies....

I miss the "OH! What will I get next?" of Monster Rancher franchise.

I basically miss the addiction of very classic RPG's of 10 to 20 years ago.

So can someone explain the divide with this game? What do YOU see as the good and the bad with this title?

I'm trying to find something to kill time the next 72 hours until Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen comes out.

Thank you for your time guys and gals!
#2iambashoPosted 4/21/2013 10:03:49 AM
Some people cannot get over the "childishness" of this game and refuse to look past the more lighthearted elements.
The best way I can tell if you'd like the game or not is asking these questions:
Do you like Kingdom Hearts?
Do you like Dragon Quest?
This game is essentially a blend of the lighthearted way of dealing with darker elements in the KH franchise, with a DQ style of art and design. The combat here is a mixture of the two games', as well.
---
Tired of waiting for info on FF Versus XIII and/or a localization announcement for FF Type-0? Support Project Crystallis! http://projectcrystallis.org/
#3tachion13(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 11:48:28 AM
I enjoyed Kingdom Hearts quite a bit. I never played Dragon Quest however.

I've decided to pick up the game. I'm sure even with it's more lighthearted take on darker elements, it's NOT a childrens game. Just like the Ghibli films ...children like them but adults can relate quite well.

Thanks for your help!
#4psprulz2007Posted 4/21/2013 11:50:04 AM
The game is great. Not the greatest rpg this gen. But its a good game. The ONLY downside I can see to the game is its a little kiddy. I wish is was a more darker tone. BUT to be honest Im enjoying the positive light hearted tone because all Ive ever played was angry negative violent dark games. So its a nice change of pace.

I say give it a go.
---
PSN(ps3+Vita)+GT= FeelinKorny
#5carsaucePosted 4/21/2013 2:17:46 PM
How is it kiddy? I just don't get the aspect of this? It's more like any rpg with less mature or sexual themes, not like other RPGs were darker with such mature themes.
---
Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. -anonymous
#6keepskate99Posted 4/21/2013 3:13:07 PM
kiddy like most of the ghibli movies, but in a good way.
#7AlltraPosted 4/21/2013 3:18:59 PM(edited)
Everything is childlike, or portrayed in a juvenile manner. That's what makes it kiddy.

The reason for the crazy scores is, it is more of the same thing, and while still enjoyable as hell it's not executed better than "The Same". There are borrowed elements from any number of other RPGs, but they aren't executed as well as those other games.

Which is a common problem with RPGs honestly. You get one game that does one or two things really well, and then 100 copy cats that try the same thing but don't really understand why it works and the execution is flawed.

However, despite those issues, the game is still very fun. It's not perfect, but it's not horrible either. It has a great concept that's really fun, it just needs a little polish to iron out some of the finer details, a few minor design tweaks that would make the game a lot better.
---
If you're not going to share with the entire class, then don't bother sharing at all.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#8carsaucePosted 4/21/2013 5:20:20 PM
So other rpg's are not kiddy? and what Kingdom Hearts is mature???
---
Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. -anonymous
#9AlltraPosted 4/21/2013 6:26:16 PM
Not all of them are. There are quite a few out there that aren't. A lot of them are what I'd call "Neutral", they don't have strong themes either way.

KH is definitely a kiddy game. It's also fun as hell, at least I found it fun as hell.

Some people just can't get past the kiddiness of the game though. Kind of like how I'm turned off by fanservice and moe themes in RPGs.
---
If you're not going to share with the entire class, then don't bother sharing at all.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#10blarghamehPosted 4/21/2013 6:43:04 PM
carsauce posted...
So other rpg's are not kiddy? and what Kingdom Hearts is mature???

You have a VERY good point right here, my friend. People accuse Ni No Kuni of being childish, but praise Kingdom Hearts. Trust me, I don't get it either.

Although, there were certain points in Ni No Kuni that I felt a little awkward. There were some moments in the game I felt were childish. However, I thought Ni No Kuni was a fantastic game. It certainly is one of the best RPGs of this generation. I absolutely loved it, honestly.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just wish more people recognized this game as fantastic.