Ok...after MUCH review...I must ask the community..

#21moniewitchPosted 4/22/2013 7:23:02 PM
tachion I agree with you. I loved the Suikdoen series especially 2 it had such emotional impact on me. I also loved Final Fantasy 7-10 and Lunar 1 and 2.

I love a lot of RPG's that I got into in the past.

also the ghibli studio films that you would like are Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle, Grave of the Fireflies, Porco Roso, Ponyo etc. they are all great interesting films that I recommend. Their for entire families and are never dull. I recommend every movie he made.
---
Jesus is everyone's best friend & savior
~Everyone get Baptized so you can make it into the Kingdom of Heaven~
#22DarthLampePosted 4/24/2013 12:30:39 PM
My favorite game series is Suikoden. I also wrote a review for this game.

Anyone giving this game a perfect score shouldn't be reviewing anything. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Combat is flawed, and the story isn't particularly engaging or paced well. The target audience is very young, but I don't think that really detracts often enough to really lower someone's enjoyment.
---
SWB Drawing Update: ~10% finished!
#23asdfen09Posted 4/25/2013 4:23:34 AM
ni no kuni
pros
beautiful graphic design
nice sound track
battle system varied choice of "familiars" - basically combat characters
familiars evolution system is cool I like it
great bosses

cons
awful characters
bad voice acting
horrible story
bad cutscenes
bad quest system mostly going from green to blue point in towns or killing enemies somewhere.
evolving familiars is a daunting task and unless grinding a specific mob is too slow
so called AI controlled party members are the worst I have seen in any video game ever. they actually hinder my progress. this adds to frustration 10 fold.
special skills that interrupt all flow of combat. for instance you are trying to revive your character and your AI party member or enemy invokes skill it will interrupt this and any other action.
bosses that spam the above skills without any delay
the way you get familiars is totally random so trying to strategically pick a party is a very frustrating task and probably is impossible till end game

over all it is above average game with a lot of frustrating features but also some fun moments to be had here if you stick around long enough for end/post game
#24scraadinPosted 4/25/2013 5:49:06 AM
It's a gorgeous game with an interesting story married to a pretty generic RPG. I've been borrowing it from my library, and glad I didn't pay for it.

I've been playing for about fifty hours, and I still feel like it's a content light game. That just shouldn't be.

You can tell animators played a huge role in making the game. If it can be made visually interesting, it is.
---
The answer to "Why not?" is always Wobbuffet.
#25trunk8Posted 4/25/2013 2:37:11 PM
Samholy posted...
you mentioned monster rancher. you might like this game.
i havent been that hooked since a long while. 100 hours yet, still trying to find and catch all monsters (The main story isnt 100 hours long)
Very pokemonesque. Or monster rancher, same trip. you got tons of monsters, variants,evolutions,etc. you know the drill.

my taste:
pros
- insane amount of content
- post game goodness
- impressive visuals. REALLY
- i love the battle system (some didnt, i dont know why)
- its miyazaki, the story is good and magical
- gotta catch em all. its Sony's pokemon.

cons
- english dub is british like, it gets on my nerve fast. no french dub :-(
- a bit too easy, no hard mode
- no newgame+ (althought, i dont mind much anyway)
- a bit too childish, it doesnt go on the miyazaki's serious tone genre, but more on in the vein of totoro/ponyo.
- main character is very young. it might turn many people off.

things to keep in mind:
- its made by level-5, your latest dragonquest studio. they know how to make addictive and content-wise games.
- perhaps the best looking cell-shaded engine ive seen so far. especially the main map, it looks so gorgeous.
- its Miyazaki all over the place. You can feel the world he created.
- dont even think its going to be a quickie if you plan to catch all the monsters species. its gonna be a looooong trip.
- I will repeat myself, the game is easy. i truly wish they patch the game and add an hard mode. doesnt prevent to have any fun of course. i mean, chrono trigger was easy and i did it far too many time to be called sane again.

Miyazaki had nothing to do with this game, he had zero involvement. Toshio Suzuki is the Studio Ghibli producer that created the animated sequences and worked with Level-5. That's the extent of Studio Ghibli's involvement, Level-5 is responsible for everything except those animated cartoons that are lightly peppered throughout the game. I'm not calling this out as a negative, I love the game and I think Level-5 did a fantastic job of creating a playable Ghibli-like world. But, people get the wrong idea about how much Ghibli was really involved (or that Miyazaki himself was involved).

My biggest complaint with the game is that there should have been more voice acting, the game starts off really strong and then suddenly there's almost none until the end of the game. And just like the voice acting, while I love the story....it starts and ends really strong but the middle is kind of flat. I love the game for what it is and it's my favorite JRPG this gen for sure, but I can't help but see the potential of what it could have been - you can clearly see how strong it could have been by playing the first 3 hours or the last 3 hours of the game.
---
-------------------------------
My go-to answer is "no"
#26jtrevor99Posted 4/25/2013 2:42:21 PM
trunk8 posted...
My biggest complaint with the game is that there should have been more voice acting, the game starts off really strong and then suddenly there's almost none until the end of the game. And just like the voice acting, while I love the story....it starts and ends really strong but the middle is kind of flat.

I can't speak to the last act of the game, but the reason the voice acting (and, for that matter, animated sequences etc.) taper off towards the end is because the original animations and voice acting were for The Jet-Black Mage (the DS version). Wrath of the White Witch starts off with the same storyline but deviates considerably towards the end.
#27Gamegeek123Posted 4/25/2013 3:26:50 PM
asdfen09 posted...
ni no kuni
pros
beautiful graphic design
nice sound track
battle system varied choice of "familiars" - basically combat characters
familiars evolution system is cool I like it
great bosses

cons
awful characters
bad voice acting
horrible story
bad cutscenes
bad quest system mostly going from green to blue point in towns or killing enemies somewhere.
evolving familiars is a daunting task and unless grinding a specific mob is too slow
so called AI controlled party members are the worst I have seen in any video game ever. they actually hinder my progress. this adds to frustration 10 fold.
special skills that interrupt all flow of combat. for instance you are trying to revive your character and your AI party member or enemy invokes skill it will interrupt this and any other action.
bosses that spam the above skills without any delay
the way you get familiars is totally random so trying to strategically pick a party is a very frustrating task and probably is impossible till end game

over all it is above average game with a lot of frustrating features but also some fun moments to be had here if you stick around long enough for end/post game

Japanese voice acting is better
---
Shogunate
#28trunk8Posted 4/25/2013 3:46:03 PM
jtrevor99 posted...
trunk8 posted...
My biggest complaint with the game is that there should have been more voice acting, the game starts off really strong and then suddenly there's almost none until the end of the game. And just like the voice acting, while I love the story....it starts and ends really strong but the middle is kind of flat.

I can't speak to the last act of the game, but the reason the voice acting (and, for that matter, animated sequences etc.) taper off towards the end is because the original animations and voice acting were for The Jet-Black Mage (the DS version). Wrath of the White Witch starts off with the same storyline but deviates considerably towards the end.

That doesn't really make sense to me, but okay. Even so, voice acting and animated sequences start becoming sparse literally right after the trials in White Witch. You go from hearing Oliver and Drippy all the time, to rarely hearing them at all. And then in the last part of the game, it picks up again (in the sections that are different from JBM). Again, I love the game anyway I just would have liked to see consistent voice acting throughout the game. I don't even mind reading text in games if that's how they want to do it, but NNK seems sort of deceiving in the beginning because you get this impression of consistent voice acting and then hours later it's just not there anymore. Conversely, with Dragon Quest 8 you could tell right away that most of the game would be reading text and that cutscenes with voice acting were going to be evenly placed throughout the game.
---
-------------------------------
My go-to answer is "no"
#29Lord_Ka1nPosted 4/25/2013 4:26:37 PM
It was overhyped as hell on release (what game isnt). But yes, it is a great game.