Whats the point of having more than one familiar???

#1BlackFeathersPosted 5/12/2013 11:02:39 AM
I feel like I should just keep upgrading my starter familiar because the 2nd one kinda sucks :-/
---
Bad reviews never stopped me from buying a game, they only postponed my purchase til a price drop. Thank You reviewers.
#2comftblynumbPosted 5/12/2013 11:19:44 AM
they run out of stamina in longer fights. in boss fights you will need at least 2 to alternate between or when they run out of stamina they become considerably less capable.
#3Wingspan--Posted 5/12/2013 11:22:39 AM
First off, your familiars have stamina. When it runs out (you'll hear the timer, and see it over their head at the very end) you have to switch them out for a decent while. Having another familiar helps so you don't have to be Oliver when that happens.

On top of that, it is nice to have familiars with different purposes, e.g. an attacker, a tank, and a mage. Same goes for signs/type weaknesses.

That said, the mite actually isn't that great later on. You'll be able to get much better options later.

Finally, **minor gameplay spoilers** you get other characters which are AI controlled, and need to have more than one familiar for the AI to do even a decent job.
#4turbanmythPosted 5/12/2013 12:05:05 PM
You have to alter your view of familiars to get the most out of this game. The unique accomplishment of the developers of this game is the idea of giving the player the ability to choose 12 different play styles at any given moment. This is unheard of in any game before Ni No Kuni to the best of my knowledge.

The best comparison I can think of that is analogous to this battle style is Naruto's Six Paths of Pain. If you watch Naruto Shippuden maybe you have an idea of what I am alluding to. Pain (Nagato) was a character in Naruto that had the ability to control 6 people, all called Pain with different paths, at one time. Their powers ranged from magnetism, summoning, reviving the dead, massive weapon attacks, mana/hp drain, highly skilled martial arts fighting, nullifying any attack and AoE Elemental magic. NNK gives you this capabilities much like any RPG but unlike most RPGs, it's not 3 or 4 to choose from but 12.

Each familiar is good at 2-3 skills, defense, offense, healing or nuking, these are qualities that they posses in varying degrees. and so the player's task is to recognize these abilities and use them appropriately in different aspects of the game.

You will hear many complaints about the battle system, almost all of them are true. But it is up to you as the leader of your team to find a way to overcome this. As Naruto said to Pain in their final encounter, 'I will find the way, there must be a better way than this, it is my responsibility as the hero of this era', or something to that effect LOL.
---
I don't care about money, I'm actually a millionaire, I just work so I can be around ordinary people.
#5WingBowlMVPPosted 5/12/2013 1:12:37 PM
You also have different types of familiars, some are faster, some are stronger, some are healers, some have better skills.

spoilerish

Also when you upgrade a familiar it reverts to level 1 meaning you will get owned.
#6T-Matt-16Posted 5/13/2013 12:11:31 AM
You can beat the game with just one familiar (and not giving the other chars any), and just switching between Oliver and it, the game is pretty easy in that regard. Still, you might as well just level up a bunch so that you aren't set back when you evolve them and they are stuck at a low level.
#7Whippet_basicPosted 5/13/2013 3:22:45 PM(edited)
The main reason I can think of is targeting weaknesses. If your enemies are weak against water it helps to have a familiar with strong magical power and a water based attack. I've pretty much just relied on my starting mite though for direct offense and Oliver when I need to use magic.
#84nowlatersPosted 5/15/2013 7:17:46 AM
turbanmyth posted...
You have to alter your view of familiars to get the most out of this game. The unique accomplishment of the developers of this game is the idea of giving the player the ability to choose 12 different play styles at any given moment. This is unheard of in any game before Ni No Kuni to the best of my knowledge.

The best comparison I can think of that is analogous to this battle style is Naruto's Six Paths of Pain. If you watch Naruto Shippuden maybe you have an idea of what I am alluding to. Pain (Nagato) was a character in Naruto that had the ability to control 6 people, all called Pain with different paths, at one time. Their powers ranged from magnetism, summoning, reviving the dead, massive weapon attacks, mana/hp drain, highly skilled martial arts fighting, nullifying any attack and AoE Elemental magic. NNK gives you this capabilities much like any RPG but unlike most RPGs, it's not 3 or 4 to choose from but 12.

Each familiar is good at 2-3 skills, defense, offense, healing or nuking, these are qualities that they posses in varying degrees. and so the player's task is to recognize these abilities and use them appropriately in different aspects of the game.

You will hear many complaints about the battle system, almost all of them are true. But it is up to you as the leader of your team to find a way to overcome this. As Naruto said to Pain in their final encounter, 'I will find the way, there must be a better way than this, it is my responsibility as the hero of this era', or something to that effect LOL.

I like this post
---
Omega Psi Phi Til The Day I Die & Alpha Kappa Psi as the days go by
#9turbanmythPosted 5/15/2013 8:46:58 AM
Thx 4nowlaters!
---
I don't care about work. I'm actually broke. I just go to work to collect a paycheck.
#10AlltraPosted 5/15/2013 9:05:01 AM
I always tended to use them as "Skill Mules".
---
If you're not going to share with the entire class, then don't bother sharing at all.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.