Question about Purrloiner / Red Damage

#1Pink_HammurabiPosted 5/29/2013 6:01:26 PM
I did a few searches and didn't find out the answer.

My Purrloiner (and Naja) are both taking red (high) damage no matter what. The Purrloiner is only weak to water, but every physical attack and, recently, a Storm spell are dealing red (high) damage.

I'm at Old Smokey so nothing is doing water damage. Regardless of the sign he's up against, the numbers are red, but vary depending on the sign compatibility (seemingly correctly when compared to each other independently).

I don't remember the details of the Naja deal, but it's really the same.

Anyone know the reason for this?
---
(Wow, I talk really smart what I'm deliriously tired) - HeroOfTime777
#2AlltraPosted 5/29/2013 6:30:33 PM
I don't know, but I suspect that Red Damage is an indication of high damage, caused by the enemy having a much higher attack power than your Familiar's Defense or Magic Defense.
---
"Cute" in an RPG is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#3Pink_Hammurabi(Topic Creator)Posted 5/29/2013 6:37:34 PM
Really? That would make some sense, I guess. But my Purrloiner is level 20, and he gets hit with red 1s, 2s, and 3s against the Shimmering Sands garbage monsters.
---
#4Pink_Hammurabi(Topic Creator)Posted 5/29/2013 6:38:31 PM
Plus, I deal white damage in the high 30s and low 40s when he attacks them, so.
---
#5AlltraPosted 5/29/2013 6:54:47 PM
Dunno what to tell you then. It's a mystery. This has been asked a lot on this board, and I don't think anyone has been able to figure out a satisfactory answer.
---
#6Pink_Hammurabi(Topic Creator)Posted 5/29/2013 6:58:38 PM
Well that stinks. It worries me that while he's so far held his own that this damage will make him a liability. But, a lot of people seem to use him and think he's great so I probably don't have much to fear.

Thanks anyway for your help, bud!
---
#7KingRamzPosted 5/30/2013 8:31:54 AM
I thought red was the normal color for damage to the party. Extra damage is orange.
#8JustinFFPosted 5/30/2013 10:47:15 AM
I always figured that it's the same as with any other RPG game that uses colour to denote what type of damage is being done.

White is normal damage,

Blue is resisted damage - for example, using physical attacks on a Tin / Iron Man

Red is extra damage caused due to a weakness - either because the attack or starsign of the attacker is something the defender is weak to.

Purrloiner is weak to both water based attacks (150% damage, although this is slightly offset either 5% or 10% by it's moon/double moon sign) and attacks from Sun/Double Sun monsters (an extra 20% or 30% depending on whether the sign is double.)

Almost every familiar in the game has multiple weaknesses due to their elemental preferences and their starsigns. Purrloiner, for example, while possessing these weaknesses is strong against Star and Double Star monsters. In the third phase you get to choose whether you keep the water weakness or exchange it for a fire weakness.

You may be doing massive damage and getting blue numbers, which denotes that you're still getting a damage reduction of what you could be doing because of elements and starsigns - it just means you're using your level to power through it. Same with the enemies getting red damage of 1s and 2s - they may be getting a 20% bonus, but an extra 20% of almost nothing is still almost nothing.
#9Pink_Hammurabi(Topic Creator)Posted 5/30/2013 1:42:09 PM
JustinFF posted...
Purrloiner is weak to both water based attacks (150% damage, although this is slightly offset either 5% or 10% by it's moon/double moon sign) and attacks from Sun/Double Sun monsters (an extra 20% or 30% depending on whether the sign is double.)

Almost every familiar in the game has multiple weaknesses due to their elemental preferences and their starsigns. Purrloiner, for example, while possessing these weaknesses is strong against Star and Double Star monsters. In the third phase you get to choose whether you keep the water weakness or exchange it for a fire weakness.

You may be doing massive damage and getting blue numbers, which denotes that you're still getting a damage reduction of what you could be doing because of elements and starsigns - it just means you're using your level to power through it. Same with the enemies getting red damage of 1s and 2s - they may be getting a 20% bonus, but an extra 20% of almost nothing is still almost nothing.

I get all that, but that's not entirely the case. Purrloiner is taking red damage from *every* source except Fire, which is blue, because he's wearing the Fire Robes which make him resistant. Every creature, regardless of sign, is doing red physical damage to him, and every spell (again, except fire) is red damage.

It does not appear as though sign compatibility affects the color of damage, either, as he does white damage (with a normal weapon) to every sign, with only the amounts changing due to match-ups.
---
#10AlltraPosted 5/30/2013 2:29:51 PM(edited)
Do me a favor and look at his affinities in your menu. Also, post all of it's equipment. Don't just assume them, actually look, because your equipment has an effect on them.

*Edit*
Wait, I think I figured it out.

White = Normal Damage to enemies
Orange = Weakness Damage to enemies / allies
Blue = Resistance Damage to enemies / allies
Red = Normal Damage to allies.
---