Should I buy this game?

#1Sleepy_ZzzPosted 6/19/2013 4:46:51 AM
Hello!

I am considering buying this game, altho I have some doubts.
It kind of looks childish and I don't know if this game has a post-game/late-game?
I like it to get strong post-game and still be HARD bosses around I can fight for epic rewards or grind for special items to get stronger. I read a lot of guides without too much spoilers to get a view and I like what I've seen so far altho a bit overwhelming.
Which monsters to catch, which are good for which person, where to go, what to do.

Should I get this game and why? And if you have any starting tips, that'd be great! Maybe some things I should now before hand!

Many thanks!
#2Bane_09Posted 6/19/2013 9:35:25 AM
For post game there is definitely a LOT of grinding if you want that. Not grinding to fight bosses though but too collect insanely rare crafting components for alchemy. The post game bosses are very easy compared to the first part. The game starts really slow, youll be quite a few hours in before you unlock a lot of the basic abilities. Never use the AI, its awful. Imo its a pretty mediocre game, I played 72 hours and the whole time I felt like I was waiting for it to get good and it never really made it there
#3NCPwnPosted 6/20/2013 4:30:07 PM
This game was really fun, but also VERY VERY SLOW. Combat is slow, Dialog is slow, progression is slow. Navigating menus is slow. For example, you don't get into your first battle until 50 min into the game. Also they have tutorials on how to move, things like this really slow the game down as well!

That said, this game is less childish than other JRPG games. The protagonist, while a child doesn't really act like one. You could really use any familiars you want really. The game isn't hard at all.
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#4JusticeLeaguer8Posted 6/20/2013 7:12:15 PM
Let's take this one-by-one.

The game isn't really that childish. I mean, I suppose it's family friendly in the same way Spirited Away might be, but adults love that movie like crazy. It's got a great story, in my opinion.

There's a lot to do post-game, although the bosses in the post-game, while stronger than their original versions (they're basically just amped up versions of the bosses you fight in the story), aren't as hard since you know how to beat them going in. There are still a lot of side quests that unlock good stuff, although if you get hardcore into the alchemy you will, as others have said, need to grind for materials.

For familiars, each of the playable characters starts out with a decent one, and each party member has a specific type of familiar that they like better than others (like how some Pokémon trainers might prefer fire-types, but others would prefer psychic-types), and that affects how they work with them a bit, but basically you can just choose whichever familiars you're comfortable with.

You should get the game because, in my opinion, it's awesome. Contrary to (seemingly, based on this board) popular opinion, I thought the story was fantastic, the combat was fun, the graphics and soundtrack are incredibly lush and beautiful, and the AI isn't as bad as many make it out to be. I didn't think it was that slow; it had a more relaxed pace in the beginning (albeit not as relaxed as something like Atelier Ayesha), but if you're familiar with Studio Ghibli, that's not a problem. To me, it's my favorite game I've played this year, and I'm unsure if anything will top it. If you're a fan of JRPGs, you'll probably find a lot to enjoy, and if you're not, this is a great place to get your feet wet.

As far as starting tips... I got nothing. Maybe that when you first head to Al-Mamoon, watch out for the monsters on the world map? Unless you've done some extra leveling beforehand, they will probably kill you. Oh, and it's better to solve Horace's riddles sooner rather than later. You'll figure out what that means when you start playing.

Also, I would highly recommend the Wizard's Edition. It's expensive, especially now on the secondary market, but it is the single best limited edition I have ever purchased, not to mention one of the best ones made in a post-Working Designs era. The physical Wizard's Companion alone is invaluable.
#5NCPwnPosted 6/21/2013 9:23:18 AM
^I'm not saying the game is bad because it's slow, but to say the game is NOT slow is a bold lie.

-50 Min before I got into my first battle. I'm not complaining but that was an awfully long time.

-Twice it gave me a tutorial on "how to move". These things belong in the instruction manual, but honestly anyone who has ever played a game knows to use the joysticks to move. (well execpt for heavy rain.....zinggggg)

-taking and giving hearts was very slow. After the 2nd town, I just mashed X to skip the dialog and just grab their heart. It just started taking too long to get and give, even if you know which needed it.

Then there was plenty of times where you know "oh here i have to cast a spell" and you do it and nothing happens. But if you hit X first and then Drippy tells you to cast it, then it works. Things like the bridge spell and rejuvenate, etc..

So While all of this sounds like complaigning, it's still a really fun game. And I agree about the AI It was never a problem for me, but going into it, I set them to "do nothing" and only one time did I ever change their AI to "heal group" and that was the last boss.

The presentation, world map, combat, setting, art, music was all fantastic. Though I wish they voice acted most of the important scenes. It felt like only 10% of the game was voice acted so why even do it?
---
Top 10 Favorite games of all time (in order):
NIER, Zelda WW, Secret of Mana, Zelda OoT, Rainbow Moon, Valkyria Chronicles, DAOC, MAG, Tachyon, Myst
#6DeFenzPosted 6/21/2013 11:54:16 AM
I'd recommend you pick this one up. I'm not too far into the game myself and what I've played so far has been great. If you've played other Level 5 games (DQ8 being the most popular) I wouldn't say this game is anymore childish than what you find there. Starting out just requires a bit of patience as someone else mentioned there is quite a bit of content to sit through before getting to the first battle. I've seen several people complain about some of the gameplay aspects of the game but the positive reviews far outweigh the negative. Give it a shot.
---
Broken promises don't upset me. I just think "Why did they believe me?"
PSN: Eaglefan528
#7JusticeLeaguer8Posted 6/21/2013 5:28:38 PM
NCPwn posted...
^I'm not saying the game is bad because it's slow, but to say the game is NOT slow is a bold lie.

-50 Min before I got into my first battle. I'm not complaining but that was an awfully long time.

-Twice it gave me a tutorial on "how to move". These things belong in the instruction manual, but honestly anyone who has ever played a game knows to use the joysticks to move. (well execpt for heavy rain.....zinggggg)

-taking and giving hearts was very slow. After the 2nd town, I just mashed X to skip the dialog and just grab their heart. It just started taking too long to get and give, even if you know which needed it.

Then there was plenty of times where you know "oh here i have to cast a spell" and you do it and nothing happens. But if you hit X first and then Drippy tells you to cast it, then it works. Things like the bridge spell and rejuvenate, etc..

So While all of this sounds like complaigning, it's still a really fun game. And I agree about the AI It was never a problem for me, but going into it, I set them to "do nothing" and only one time did I ever change their AI to "heal group" and that was the last boss.

The presentation, world map, combat, setting, art, music was all fantastic. Though I wish they voice acted most of the important scenes. It felt like only 10% of the game was voice acted so why even do it?

Notice that I said, and I quote, "I didn't think it was that slow." I did not say "the game is not slow." The former is an opinion, the latter is (at least stated as) a fact. I would appreciate not being called a liar due to my opinion.

So what if it took 50 minutes before the first battle? Here's a newsflash: the combat is not the only component of a video game. The story had me gripped from the first second, and nearly all of that first 50 minutes was story. That doesn't make a game slow; what does make a game slow is poor pacing, bad mechanics, broken physics or slowdown (ba-dum-tsh), none of which are present in Ni no Kuni.

The tutorial thing I'm going to give you, but we live in an age where people don't read manuals for the games anymore (except me... *sigh*), and while it may seem like common sense, it still needs to cover the basics. Pretty much every game does this at some point, you can't just blame Ni no Kuni for it.

Again, I considered the taking and giving of hearts to be part of the story (since most of the time it's for a sidequest and a few times for the main campaign itself), so I would disagree with you here. As for spells, how hard is it to press the X button to talk to someone or examine something which is usually marked clear as day before casting a spell?

At least you enjoyed the game, I'm glad of that. It's awesome and everyone with a PS3 should experience it. The voice acting was a problem, and I do wish it had been 100% voice acted, but given the huge amount of non-voiced dialogue in the game, I'm not actually sure if that's even technically possible, for the PS3 anyway.