As childish as this game looks...

#1LeSituasianPosted 8/18/2013 4:48:45 PM
I feel this game couldn't be accomplished with adult characters. I'm not very far in the story, but can tell that the story wouldn't have the same effect if the characters were "big and bad" or even teens or whatever.

I think this is definitely a game adults can appreciate regardless of how kiddy it looks. I was hesitant to buy it because of this, but I'm glad I did.
---
hey there
PSN - InfiniteChronos (feel free to add me)
#2qash61Posted 8/18/2013 6:48:32 PM
LeSituasian posted...
I feel this game couldn't be accomplished with adult characters. I'm not very far in the story, but can tell that the story wouldn't have the same effect if the characters were "big and bad" or even teens or whatever.

I think this is definitely a game adults can appreciate regardless of how kiddy it looks. I was hesitant to buy it because of this, but I'm glad I did.

absolutely, and there are also deep undertones that can only be picked up by adults if you look hard enough.
---
final fantasy x is coming...the only question is...when?
#3AlltraPosted 8/18/2013 7:20:44 PM
Storywise, probably.

Game play wise, no way. I could easily see this game's overall game play being played out with adult characters and using a darker, less lighthearted, and less childish theme.
---
"Cute" in an RPG is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#4Joyous_Spring87Posted 8/20/2013 10:00:50 PM
If you consider some of the scenes in the game from an adult's perspective, you realize that the game IS pretty dark.

I almost balked when I saw the scene where...

[SPOILERS]

Rusty was possessed by his nightmare the "Void of Kindness". The game doesn't outright say it, but the fact that Myrtle was in the house even if she wasn't sick screamed "abuse" and "child neglect". Rusty was working and working, ignoring his wife and kids, and even being verbally abusive to them.

==

I was like.... HOLY HELL....I don't think I've ever played a game with abuse or abusive parents in their storyline, maybe tough love parents but not ABUSIVE ones. Wow. Just wow.
---
The RPG Princess of Cuteness~
#5AlltraPosted 8/21/2013 12:26:39 AM(edited)
Child Abuse is a serious theme, no lies, but the kiddy presentation downplays it's severity to the point where that fact is mostly lost. I'd be willing to bet that it's so downplayed in other games that you just never noticed it before because of how it's presented, just like in NNK.
---
"Cute" in an RPG is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#6turbanmythPosted 8/21/2013 5:19:41 AM
Joyous_Spring87 posted...
If you consider some of the scenes in the game from an adult's perspective, you realize that the game IS pretty dark.

I almost balked when I saw the scene where...

[SPOILERS]

Rusty was possessed by his nightmare the "Void of Kindness". The game doesn't outright say it, but the fact that Myrtle was in the house even if she wasn't sick screamed "abuse" and "child neglect". Rusty was working and working, ignoring his wife and kids, and even being verbally abusive to them.

==

I was like.... HOLY HELL....I don't think I've ever played a game with abuse or abusive parents in their storyline, maybe tough love parents but not ABUSIVE ones. Wow. Just wow.

my exact same thoughts, when I was at that part of the story all I could think about was how my friend treated his family. I wanted to play the game infront of his daughter and son with him present, so maybe he would realize what he was doing but it was kind of 'too little too late', because a few weeks later his wife divorced him.
---
As a bee without harming the flower, its colour or scent, flies
away, collecting only the honey, even so should the wise man wander in the world. --Buddha