This game is ***NOT*** fun!

#1Akatsuki-KikumiPosted 8/25/2013 2:18:24 AM
I've spent more than 13 hours in the Golden Grove trying to capture a 2nd Napcap. The first Napcap took me about 30 minutes to tame. But for some reason, I've had zero luck with taming a 2nd Napcap. ... for over 13 hours?!?! To say that I am frustrated would be a mild understatement.

It would appear the tame rate drops off to zero for species of familiars I have already tamed. Whatever the case, 13+ hours of unsuccessful 'tame-fest' has sucked out any enjoyment in this game. Why anyone would design the game this way is beyond me.

The developers at Level 5 and/or Studio Ghibli need to have their head smacked upside down for thinking tame-hunting ad eternum for a familiar is fun.

Not FUN at all!!!!
#2KukaiDragonPosted 8/25/2013 5:17:47 AM
Why are you getting two? If you are tired of taming, then why not stop doing it and continue the game?! If you want every version of every familiar then I would recommend just waiting til later and taming the evolved form you didn't raise yourself. At least at that point the experience you get from fighting will be a little more worth your time.
#3AlltraPosted 8/25/2013 7:41:06 AM(edited)
Yes, the capture system in this game is stupid. You really can't deny it. It really should have been more like...giving Esther the Serenade command, and having the capture rate be the chance you tame it per use. So you could use the command repeatedly in the same battle until you got fed up with trying, or actually caught the monster.
---
"Cute" in an RPG is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#4Akatsuki-Kikumi(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 9:36:13 AM
KukaiDragon posted...
Why are you getting two? If you are tired of taming, then why not stop doing it and continue the game?! If you want every version of every familiar then I would recommend just waiting til later and taming the evolved form you didn't raise yourself. At least at that point the experience you get from fighting will be a little more worth your time.

I am not trying to tame every version of every familiar in the game. I just picked up Ni no Kuni yesterday. At about 3-4 hours into the game, Oliver and Esther just passed the trials. So after looking thru the long list of every familiars in the game (thanks to whoever composed it), I decided to go with Napcap for Esther. I haven't collected any familiars for Oliver yet, other than the default creatures assigned to him automatically up to this point.

As to why I don't capture evolved forms, there's advantage to taming the 1st-form and leveling it to the max before metamorph. That advantage, of course, is higher stats in the evolved creatures.

The game is absolutely adorable in just about every way except for the taming mechanism. Why anyone would ruin it with an absurdly low tame-rate is beyond me.

And to think I have to go thru this with Lumberwood for Esther, and Naja + Teeny Bopper + Sapdragon for Oliver gives me the goosebumps.
#5gameMJMPosted 8/25/2013 11:33:41 AM(edited)
Phase 1 familiars may carry 10% of their stats into phase 2 (or is it 20%?), but then only 10% of those stats get carried into phase 3. 10% of 10% is 1%. So if phase 1 had 100 attack, it will ultimately get reduced to 1 extra attack in phase 3. So recruiting phase 2 familiars shouldn't experience a drastic drop off. Granted, some familiars learn tricks in phase 1 that they wouldn't start with directly in phase 2, so you might miss out on something useful. You might not, however. Depends on the familiar. A lot of early game tricks lose their impact later on.

Another thing you have to consider is the familiar's Celestial Sign. Take a Bone Baron for example, their phase 1 Boneheads can be recruited in Southern Autumnia with the Moon sign only. However, you can find the phase 2 Bone Ranger in the Ghastly Gorge with the Star and Double Star sign. And of course, you can find the phase 3 Bone Baron itself with the Sun and Double Sun signs. So you might be willing to miss out on the phase 1 stat gains to eventually get a Bone Baron with the Star sign, as the added benefits against Sun sign bounties will outweigh the statistical drop off.

And obviously, there aren't very many phase 1 familiars with Planet or Double Planet signs, but it becomes more prevalent among phase 2 and phase 3 familiars, and the benefits of those signs over the other Celestial signs are worth considering.
#6gameMJMPosted 8/25/2013 11:28:17 AM(edited)
Granted, Bone Baron isn't very useful for most of the game, so he's not the best example, but this explanation is consistent with all familiars. It should also drive perfectionists nuts, because they should really insist on having maxed out forms representing every sign available to it. And there's probably not enough slots in the vault to accomplish that. :-)
#7Akatsuki-Kikumi(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 12:28:42 PM
Thanks for the info, gameMJM. Perhaps I should just move on with the game and try to capture either 2nd or 3rd form of familiars with double-star signs instead.
#8turbanmythPosted 8/25/2013 2:17:56 PM
Don't tame late bloomers till you get to post game, they are a waste of time. Pick only early bloomers for early to end game, evolve them after they get their last trick. You do that you are pretty much set.

Napcap and Bone head are late bloomers, they will be very weak till 90+ on their third form.
---
As a bee without harming the flower, its colour or scent, flies
away, collecting only the honey, even so should the wise man wander in the world. --Buddha
#9turbanmythPosted 8/25/2013 2:25:29 PM
Don't pick familiars purely on stats info. You need a well rounded group if you are not power leveling. Get a tank, healer/nuker, heavy damage dealer on Oliver. Get a tank/healer, AoE nuker and heavy DD on esther. Get a tank/nuker, AoE nuker/DD and kiter/evasion DD on Swaine. With a complete set of elemental nukes.
---
As a bee without harming the flower, its colour or scent, flies
away, collecting only the honey, even so should the wise man wander in the world. --Buddha
#10Akatsuki-Kikumi(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 2:37:42 PM
But I spend a lot of time searching for double-sign variants to capture. So I expect to reach Lv.99 relatively quickly.

For instance, I finished the Temple of Trials (to become a sage) a few hours ago and Oliver is in his mid-twenties. If I were to spend a few more hours grinding in the desert area, I can see Oliver reaching Lv.30+ easily.

I've already acquired a double-sun Naja so I consider myself somewhat lucky (after the 13+ hours of Napcap taming ordeal.)