Just got this game!!!!!! Any tips??????

#1jetdroyPosted 8/31/2013 8:48:19 PM
any tips for a newbie? just picked this up with paying off my Kingdom Hearts pre-order and buying Tales of Xillia on PSN
#2VanilleHopenPosted 8/31/2013 9:06:54 PM
don't expect a great battle system.
---
Hope misses Vanille's smile :(.
#3jetdroy(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2013 9:09:45 PM
VanilleHopen posted...

what do you mean :(
#4VanilleHopenPosted 8/31/2013 9:15:46 PM
jetdroy posted...
VanilleHopen posted...

I mean the battle system is meh compared to other great jrpg ps3 battle systems like FFXIII, Star Ocean 4, Tales, Eternal Sonata, Xenoblade, Last Story etc..
---
#5jetdroy(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2013 9:21:12 PM
VanilleHopen posted...
jetdroy posted...
VanilleHopen posted...

I mean the battle system is meh compared to other great jrpg ps3 battle systems like FFXIII, Star Ocean 4, Tales, Eternal Sonata, Xenoblade, Last Story etc..

The game is still worth it tho right?
#6VanilleHopenPosted 8/31/2013 9:25:01 PM
jetdroy posted...
VanilleHopen posted...
jetdroy posted...
VanilleHopen posted...

yes I think it is.. I'm playing it now and enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would at first glance. It was nice to see the world map back from my childhood and I thought it was very well done as were the enviornments..

to be honest the battle system is really my only complaint and it's not that it's bad its just not good, or maybe I just overleveled myself by doing a bunch of side stuff and never really got to dive into the depth of combat because I kill everything with a buff up and a couple attack hits..
---
#7jetdroy(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2013 9:35:43 PM
VanilleHopen posted...
jetdroy posted...
VanilleHopen posted...
jetdroy posted...
VanilleHopen posted...

yes I think it is.. I'm playing it now and enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would at first glance. It was nice to see the world map back from my childhood and I thought it was very well done as were the enviornments..

to be honest the battle system is really my only complaint and it's not that it's bad its just not good, or maybe I just overleveled myself by doing a bunch of side stuff and never really got to dive into the depth of combat because I kill everything with a buff up and a couple attack hits..

ok i'll see whats up tomorrow then
#8AlltraPosted 9/1/2013 6:06:35 AM(edited)
It's FFXII's battle system, minus gambits, and the AI controls present are poorly executed.

The Taming System is random too. Think Pokemon, only instead of having Pokeballs, you have a random chance of taming the Familiar after you kill it. These random chances are quite low though, most are less than 10%, and I believe the highest it goes is 25%, but there's only one or two familiars with that high of a tame rate.

In respect to Taming Familiars, be ready to exercise quite a bit of patience if you want to catch specific ones.

Also in respect to Familiars, if you're interested in earning the Trophy for catching 250 different species, I'd suggest making a list of the familars you fight in each area, and when you gain the ability to tame familiars, I'd try to catch 1 of every familiar in an area. By the end of the game you should have almost 250, and won't have to do a lot of work to get the remainder. If you happen to catch extras of lower tier Familiars, keep them, because you can Morph them into the higher forms that are harder to catch.

Or you can use the post below, and print it out, since I made such a list already. You'll just have to make one slight correction in Ding Dong Well, that I added at the end of the topic.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/998014-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch/67101462
---
"Cute" in an RPG is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#9jetdroy(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 8:41:45 AM
Alltra posted...
It's FFXII's battle system, minus gambits, and the AI controls present are poorly executed.

The Taming System is random too. Think Pokemon, only instead of having Pokeballs, you have a random chance of taming the Familiar after you kill it. These random chances are quite low though, most are less than 10%, and I believe the highest it goes is 25%, but there's only one or two familiars with that high of a tame rate.

In respect to Taming Familiars, be ready to exercise quite a bit of patience if you want to catch specific ones.

Also in respect to Familiars, if you're interested in earning the Trophy for catching 250 different species, I'd suggest making a list of the familars you fight in each area, and when you gain the ability to tame familiars, I'd try to catch 1 of every familiar in an area. By the end of the game you should have almost 250, and won't have to do a lot of work to get the remainder. If you happen to catch extras of lower tier Familiars, keep them, because you can Morph them into the higher forms that are harder to catch.

Or you can use the post below, and print it out, since I made such a list already. You'll just have to make one slight correction in Ding Dong Well, that I added at the end of the topic.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/998014-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch/67101462
Thanks for all the info
#10Oni_TatsujinPosted 9/4/2013 2:22:40 AM
The game tells you to press left and right on the D-Pad to select battle commands, but this seriously sucks because you can't really move while doing this. Press L2 and R2 instead.

It may be tempting to bring your first familiars with you for the entire journey, but they suck pretty badly. The Mite, your first familiar, has like the 12th worst stats in the entire game. Yes, he rocks early on because he has quicker stat growth than others early on, but by the time you get to Hamelin (around level 27-30) you should have better.

Seriously wish I knew this when I played, but some NPCs in towns can give you alchemy recipes when you speak to them. There is nothing indicating they'll give you any, so just speak to everyone you pass at least once. Of course, you'll only get recipes once you actually unlock the ability. The majority of recipes come from side-quest rewards, but there are plenty of useful ones I really wish I had, and didn't discover until after I beat the game.

Remember to go back and speak with Old Father Oak! He rewards you very well for making progress within the game. Go back every time something significant happens. This becomes easier when you learn the teleport spell.

Don't miss the Sage of Ages side-quest! The ghost-boy behind the grave in Ding Dong Dell starts you off on a side-quest that lasts the entire game. You'll have to follow him as he journeys to every city in the game, and he'll almost always reward you with a REALLY FREAKIN' GOOD spell every time you solve one of his riddles.
---
The SAFE was slain in battle. A great flaming nautical pyre carries it off to VAULTHALLA.
www.youtube.com/user/Terrafuror - Gimme a view, sweet cheeks ;)