A couple of familiar questions

#1rswsc0407Posted 11/12/2013 11:17:00 PM(edited)
Well I just recently got done with the volcano and I had a few questions about the familiars,

The way I have mine setup is I have one attacker and one wizard/healer on both Ollie and Esther, with the third slots taken up by the free one I got from solomon, and one of the babana guys.

Should I worry about catching certain ones right now, or should I just use and level up the ones I have now?

Also, when would be a good time to evolve them? I evolved the Seed Sprite once he got to level 20, should I have held off on doing that?

I've heard on here that the Naja, Danglefish, Monolith and the Babana dude are some of the better ones to use, that and I shouldn't worry too badly about collecting familiars all that much as long as I have good ones to begin with.

I'm basically just looking for some good tips in general, I've been playing it without using a guide and I've been having a blast, this is one of the best RPGs I've ever played in quite some time. I just want some idea of what I should possibly do so I don't screw myself later in the game.

EDIT: I just remembered one more specific question I had, what should I do when it comes to the familiar treats? I noticed that Mite seems to love the chocolates, but I don't know if that means it raises that stat more because of that or if it's the same amount for everyone.
---
Red Sox World Series Champions 2004 & 2007= My ID. PSN ID- rswsc0407
#2turbanmythPosted 11/12/2013 11:34:41 PM
My advice for Familiar catching is always the same, catch them all ASAP. Once you get the tame ability, head straight to Ding Dong Well and grab Danglerfish and Bubbud, and Naja if you really like that design.

Then head back to the desert and do Derwin's quest, use the Turbandit for your next character; use the Banana guy if you don't like Bubbud. Finish up on Al mamoon, then head over to the next town.

But before you enter, save outside and try to capture monolith and Purrlioner, if you didn't grab a Naja. That will complete your team, until mid game when you grab another tank for esther, but I won't spoil it for you.
---
As a bee without harming the flower, its colour or scent, flies
away, collecting only the honey, even so should the wise man wander in the world. --Buddha
#3Krazoa2Posted 11/13/2013 5:02:33 AM(edited)
You're not gonna screw yourself at all. Worst case scenario, you have a team of the worst possible familiars for that point in the game and have to go catch and level a few of the good ones when you get stuck. But really that shouldn't be happening either. I didn't listen to anyone's online advice and just used whatever familiars I felt like using, and never had too big an issue. Whenever one became obsolete badly enough, I just dumped him for a better one I still wanted to use.

I will say about Danglerfish, I used one on my own (that face) and he sucked at first. He attacked slowly, kept missing, and his extra damage wasn't enough to make up for it. The only useful thing about him was his super gold glimm attack thing. I kept him with me through the whole game and towards the end he became my largest damage outputter, but early on he sucked. You don't need to listen to anyone else's advice. Just play how you want, and only come here if you do screw up somehow, because no mess up is difficult to turn around in this game.

For the treats, you can find out what treat your familiars prefer by reading the page of their species in the Wizard's Companion. Your Mite is a Militia, which means he likes chocolates. It doesn't increase their stats any more (at least I don't think so), just their familiarity (the hearts). When you fill up a heart your familiar can gain 10 extra stat points from treats than it was able to before, starting at 10 up to a total of 50. You don't have to worry about this too much either. Feed your familiars how you wish, and you probably should as those stat increases make a bigger impact earlier in the game. You can beat the game without using treats at all, so while you can "screw" it up as they're permanent, it's not a big issue.

EDIT: I forgot to talk about evolving. I held off until every familiar I wanted to use was at max level before evolving, but apparently the stat differences aren't that big. Also if there are familiars you're only temporarily using, it's a good idea to evolve them now and take advantage of their stronger forms since you won't be maxing them out anyway. My advice, don't evolve the ones you plan on using in the long run until they can't level anymore if you enjoy having max stats for them.
---
I don't even read -YouStillHateMe
#4turbanmythPosted 11/13/2013 7:56:52 AM
Krazoa2 posted...
You're not gonna screw yourself at all. Worst case scenario, you have a team of the worst possible familiars for that point in the game and have to go catch and level a few of the good ones when you get stuck. But really that shouldn't be happening either. I didn't listen to anyone's online advice and just used whatever familiars I felt like using, and never had too big an issue. Whenever one became obsolete badly enough, I just dumped him for a better one I still wanted to use.

I will say about Danglerfish, I used one on my own (that face) and he sucked at first. He attacked slowly, kept missing, and his extra damage wasn't enough to make up for it. The only useful thing about him was his super gold glimm attack thing. I kept him with me through the whole game and towards the end he became my largest damage outputter, but early on he sucked. You don't need to listen to anyone else's advice. Just play how you want, and only come here if you do screw up somehow, because no mess up is difficult to turn around in this game.

For the treats, you can find out what treat your familiars prefer by reading the page of their species in the Wizard's Companion. Your Mite is a Militia, which means he likes chocolates. It doesn't increase their stats any more (at least I don't think so), just their familiarity (the hearts). When you fill up a heart your familiar can gain 10 extra stat points from treats than it was able to before, starting at 10 up to a total of 50. You don't have to worry about this too much either. Feed your familiars how you wish, and you probably should as those stat increases make a bigger impact earlier in the game. You can beat the game without using treats at all, so while you can "screw" it up as they're permanent, it's not a big issue.

EDIT: I forgot to talk about evolving. I held off until every familiar I wanted to use was at max level before evolving, but apparently the stat differences aren't that big. Also if there are familiars you're only temporarily using, it's a good idea to evolve them now and take advantage of their stronger forms since you won't be maxing them out anyway. My advice, don't evolve the ones you plan on using in the long run until they can't level anymore if you enjoy having max stats for them.

Your response is operating under 2 assumptions, first that he plays like you; second that there's no way to ruin the gaming experience. The first one may or may not be true, but assuming everybody plays like you is ignorant and arrogant. The second is false, there are a million ways to ruin the gaming experience and only a few ways to get it right, because NNK was designed for players who are newbies to RPGs, namely kids, non-RPG gamers and old people who haven't played JRPGs for decades and want to relive their old school JPRG days; it was meant to be easy. Assuming he wants to play without over leveling like some people do, then you have given him advice that will make him redo his playthrough, because he will be face rolling everything if he follows what you said.
---
As a bee without harming the flower, its colour or scent, flies
away, collecting only the honey, even so should the wise man wander in the world. --Buddha
#5AlltraPosted 11/13/2013 8:48:35 AM
Ideally, you'd want an attacker, healer, and defender familiar for each character. Ideally you'd want those familiars to match the Favorite Genuses of that character.

I'm always loathe to say somebody "Should" do anything in particular. I prefer to use the word "Could", as in, you could catch certain familiars that are very good at this point in the game. You don't have to by any means, there are great familiars out there throughout the game, and using familiars at all is pretty much optional. Either option you suggested would work fine, you could just go with what you have, or you could spend some time looking for additional familiars. The game's easy enough that you can use whatever you want and still progress.

If you're looking for a good list of useful familiars, there's a ton of topics on this board that address that. My own personal opinion, I happen to like several familiars available at this point, including:

-Green Buncher
-Lemal (Thumbelemur)
-Mitey (Mite)
-Little Bighorn
-Danglerfish
-Sid (Seed Sprite)
-Monolith
-Purrloiner
-Whambat
-Turbandit
-Shonky-Honker
-Tu-Whit

When it comes to evolving familiars, ideally you'd want to wait until they reach the level cap for their species before you attempt to evolve them. At the very least, I'd wait until they learned all of their Level Up Moves, unless you decide you don't want them to have that move for whatever reason. Waiting until the level cap maximizes their stat gain potential, which will add up over time and make them more powerful overall.

Another thing to consider, is that you do acquire Gems that you can feed to your familiars to teach them Tricks. What they can learn is limited by their species and their elemental attributes, so what ends up happening is that certain moves can only be taught to certain familiar species. You could potentially give a familiar a skill at certain evolutionary points that it wouldn't otherwise be able to learn. This however is a more advanced point of consideration, and may or may not be worth considering until later in the game anyway.

Treats are a rather complex issue that I've explained in other topics, so for simplicity sake I'll just link you to the topic instead of typing it all out again.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/998014-ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch/67174667
---
"Cute" is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#6AeriusPosted 11/13/2013 9:01:45 AM
I think your response is out of line. Krazoa2 was trying to be helpful - in fact he was explicitly answering questions the topic creator asked (questions I might add, you failed to address).

Your response is operating under 1 assumption: that your straw man argument is somehow relevant to what he wrote. There is nothing in there that will ruin his game nor will feeding your Mite Chocolate make him redo his playthrough.

To answer the questions myself:
1) I used my Mite throughout most of the game, even though his stats are one of the worst out there (eventually). I also used the blue bird and the monkey thing. I am with Krazoa here that you should just use whatever you want. In typical jrpg fashion, there is nothing a couple levels won't solve.
2) If you want 'max stats' you want to max a familiar's level before morphing it, but it doesn't make that much difference really (maybe ~10% of total stats for early growth familiars). Most people will morph a familiar after they have learned all their tricks as it gives you better flexibility in later forms.
3) Those are solid choices. turbanmyth gave a couple other good suggestions if you want a strong team.
4) If you are trophy hunting then try to capture and steal as much as you can. Try to grab the orbs sitting on the ground as you progress. Nothing important is missable so you don't need a guide.
5) Treats raise 2 stats, the innate stat attached to a treat (ie, Attack for Chocolate) and familiarity (the hearts). Once you get a full heart you get 10 more points you can allocate. All treats will give some familiarity but the favourite will give a lot more. Just try to feed enough of the favourite food so you have room to grow with stats. Ultimately, your familiars could have total stats of 2,000+, so the 50 you allocate is going to be a rounding error, but still a fun distraction in the early game.
---
RPGs Beaten(103) Maxed(62), Recovered MMORPG addict
Current: Suikoden Tierkreis, Ni No Kuni, Atelier Meruru
#7rswsc0407(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 9:37:43 AM
Those are some great tips guys, that's what I've been doing is making sure that each character is using or going to be using the proper familiars, etc.

What I did with Sid was evolve him since he had already learned all of his moves and I just made sure that his level was a little higher than when he got the last move before evolving him.

I'm not too worried about maxing stats or trophies or anything like that, maybe once I've beaten the game I will.

This is my setup at the moment:

Ollie- Mite T2- Sid T2- Boogly Boo(or whatever his name is) going to switch him out for the Naja or Danglefish I think

Esther- Lemur T1- Gogo T1- Green Buncher T1

I find myself just using Mite for now even though his T2 lvl isn't that high right now(It's around 11-12) and I definitely made sure to take Gogo out of her first slot so she wouldn't use up as much MP as she was.

I think I just need to level up a little bit or at least do the other errands and bounties before attempting to do the one over by Castaway Cove, I tired it last night and got my ass handed to me a little bit.

I'm only 11 hours into it so I still have quite a ways to go.

I figure if I wait until any familiar has learned all his moves and it at least 5 levels higher than when he got his last move, evolving them at that point shouldn't be a problem.
---
#8rswsc0407(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 10:49:11 AM
Here's what my level are ATM:

Ollie- 21 Mite (T2)- 14 Sid (T2)- 13 Boggly (T1) 14(switching him for probably for Monolith, need a tank)

Esther- 18 Lemur(T2) 6 Gogo (T1) 19 Green Buncher (T1) 8

Just grabbed danglerfish and bubbud trying for Naja right now then I'm going to continue the story after I finish the 2 bounties(the one at Old Smoky and the one near Castaway Cove) and of course grab both mono and purrloiner. The fun part will be trying to decide who I want to use from now on so I don't waste money buying equipment for people I don't plan on using.

BTW, the accessories that I have available to buy don't really seem worth the price, like there's one I can put on Ollie for example that costs 400 gold, but all it does is raise his defense 2 points.

Also am I possibly playing this wrong? Whenever I've gotten to a boss I just used Ollie and either used the Fireball spell or the Frostbite one. Like when I fought the volcano guy, I think I got hit like once or twice and that was it and it was caused by me getting close to him to pick up the glimms. I also have Esther set to "Do whatever she wants" and it seems to be working pretty well, she heals when it's needed but she seems to like to use their abilities a little too much, even when she's using Lemur(who's in her first spot) when he can do a damn decent amount of damage just attacking normally.
---
#9AlltraPosted 11/13/2013 11:36:56 AM(edited)
Very shortly you'll gain access to a 3rd character that knows how to steal items, as well as a Sailing Ship for sea travel, and the Alchemy Cauldron.

With that said, most of the equipment you buy is fairly useless when compared to the stuff you can find from various places like Hidden Treasures, Monster Drops, and Alchemy. Once you gain access to the Ship, you will have access to about 3/4 of the world map. That access grants you a ton of freedom and a ton of access a lot of useful stuff.

The usefulness of a lot of bought goods is in the Alchemy Cauldron, using them as ingredients for better stuff. Alchemy is pretty much the path to the best gear in the game. That's not to say that there isn't useful stuff on monsters as well, particularly in the Accessory Department. The only drawback to Alchemy though, is that unless you actually look up the recipes you won't know how to make the best stuff until much later when the game gives you them. Either that, or experiment with item combinations and hope you randomly stumble on a good item recipe, which isn't very likely.

There is, however, a ton of great gear available through monster drops. You'll have to do a lot of fighting to discover what they are and how to get them though, but that's part of the fun of exploration. Either that, or look that information up, I have posted several lists of such items in various topics.

I say a lot of fighting, but I don't mean in the sense of grinding and hoping for item drops, I mean something more along the line of fighting in a lot of new areas to figure out what monsters are available and then looking at their Bestiary entries in the Creature Compendium to see if they have something. Most of the good stuff you can steal within a few battles, so it's not like you'll be grinding it out for a item drop with a 1% drop rate or stupid crap like that. There are a TON of new places you can access once you get the Ship. No less than 10 different regions of the sea as well as numerous islands and beach heads with new enemies.
---
"Cute" is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#10rswsc0407(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 11:53:36 AM
Yeah, I know about Swaine. Wow, seems like there's quite a bit more to this game than I thought, maybe I should consider using or just buying the guide for this. The only problem is that I'm quite enjoying not using one for once, since there isn't really anything you can miss. The whole Alchemy thing seems like it could be complicated, unless I'm just over thinking it.

Of course I want to make sure I don't go to an area I shouldn't and get slaughtered by the enemies.
---