This game would have been so much better if they just ditched combat entirely.

#1FafnirPosted 12/22/2013 9:43:08 PM
I've gotten to the end of the Volcano dungeon, and I'm already sick of the combat in this game. Not only is the system entirely mediocre, but it's all too frequent. If the amount of random encounters in a game is enough to make Nocturne feel way too modest, you've got way too many random encounters.

If they were to actually dump the combat altogether, and focus on puzzles and story progression, this could have been a much more enjoyable game, at least from what I've seen so far. I kind of regret spending $20 on this game, since every battle has become such a chore. Even the boss fights aren't fun.
---
PSN: TheManingrey
ACVD ID: Wintermute / 3DS FC: 0860-4081-6465
#2turbanmythPosted 12/22/2013 10:29:30 PM
Fafnir posted...
I've gotten to the end of the Volcano dungeon, and I'm already sick of the combat in this game. Not only is the system entirely mediocre, but it's all too frequent. If the amount of random encounters in a game is enough to make Nocturne feel way too modest, you've got way too many random encounters.

If they were to actually dump the combat altogether, and focus on puzzles and story progression, this could have been a much more enjoyable game, at least from what I've seen so far. I kind of regret spending $20 on this game, since every battle has become such a chore. Even the boss fights aren't fun.

Absurd, more absurd than Alltra I never thought that'd be possible, but here it is.
---
Give a dude gear and you up his DPS for a day,
Teach a dude a build and you up his DPS a lifetime, or till next expansion...
#3Number090684Posted 12/22/2013 11:30:09 PM
While the combat is pretty simple and repetitive in the beginning, there are significant character AI flaws, and it's a little barebones overall, there is still a decent amount of depth to the system and it's mechanics that makes the game fun and worthwhile, that'll also keep you on your toes during some of the game's harder battles.

Ni No Kuni's combat is a mix of Final Fantasy XII, Persona 3 / 4, and Pokemon and it's not really bad, just a bit underpolished and lacking in refinement. This game isn't as player input skill based as some other action JRPGs, like those from the Tales series, as mostly planning and diversity will win you the hardest battles, but there absolutely nothing wrong with that. Could be worse IMO, as it could be as dull as games like Pokemon, with classic, archaic turn based battles.
---
US PSN: Number090684
#4Fafnir(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2013 11:39:56 PM
While Pokemon's battle system is somewhat archaic when concerning its single player, when it comes to what the game was meant for, multiplayer, it is miles ahead of this.

Ni No Kuni is solely a single player game (although multiplayer wouldn't offer much to improve what is there, really), and what it does have is largely insufferable. At least pokemon can be engaging with its battles.
---
#5PinkPikachuPosted 12/23/2013 1:27:36 AM
what a poor argument you make, I'm not agreeing nor disagreeing, but you cite
NO such examples to bolster your claim, going on only the statement, if anything it's just a poor way to whine

weird though, how are encounters random if you can see them on the screen?
#6AeriusPosted 12/23/2013 8:54:22 AM
You eventually get a spell which makes you invisible. Then you can avoid battles as much as you like.

A better solution for you is to just watch the story on youtube though. Quicker and works out to about the same experience.
---
RPGs Beaten(103) Maxed(62), Recovered MMORPG addict
Current: Suikoden Tierkreis, Ni No Kuni, Atelier Meruru
#7Tweekin56Posted 12/23/2013 10:41:56 AM
The monsters are visible for you to walk into and run away from. That's not a random encounter, that's playing sloppy.
---
Locke: Crazy people don't know they're crazy, they think they're getting saner.
#8AlltraPosted 12/23/2013 11:40:08 AM
The combat doesn't seem any worse to me than any other RPG. They're all pretty much like that.
---
"Cute" is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#9Fafnir(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2013 1:30:37 PM(edited)
Tweekin56 posted...
The monsters are visible for you to walk into and run away from. That's not a random encounter, that's playing sloppy.

Considering most monsters move faster than poor little Oliver's legs can carry him, playing sloppy has very little to do with it.
It doesn't help that not only are these encounters spaced extremely close to one another (usually within 3-5 second's walking distance, typically down particularly narrow pathways), but should you get the urge to go and explore down a path that leads to a dead-end for whatever reason, the mob will respawn in the time it takes you to turn around.

Now, this wouldn't all be so bad if the battle system was enjoyable.

Alltra posted...
The combat doesn't seem any worse to me than any other RPG. They're all pretty much like that.

Perhaps I've been spoiled by games like SMT, and even pokemon (although, once again, that points more to pokemon's multiplayer and competitive communities than anything else), but spamming 'attack' to win every random encounter (if you want to get really technical about them being visible on the map, you can call them whatever you want, but they still fill the same purpose, and the actual monsters you fight are randomly generated) is painfully boring.

Boss fights get a little better, but not by much.
---
#10AlltraPosted 12/24/2013 7:07:37 AM(edited)
You can spam attack in both SMT and Pokemon as well. Neither of those game's battle systems is any more complex or interesting than this one's. The only real difference with Pokemon's battle system is the MP component, because you can't be a dumb ass and just spam stuff against an actual thinking, human opponent.

This game's battle system isn't any different. You can move around and avoid attacks, you use positioning to launch Area Attacks, you can guard or evade attacks using skills, it's not all about "Just Pressing X to Attack", or at least, like every other RPG battle system I've ever seen ever, it doesn't have to amount to "Just Pressing X to Attack". The system has depth, if you choose to use it. Or you can just overlevel like me and blast the hell out of everything. Nothing new here, it's like that in every RPG.
---
"Cute" is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.