I do not enjoy grinding...

#1MalekuPosted 12/28/2013 5:02:32 AM
If I enter each combat situation as I move around the map... will I still need to grind with this game?
#2turbanmythPosted 12/28/2013 5:24:43 AM(edited)
Nope, if you do that you will be over leveled. Just doing the quests and side quests and fighting 5 battles per dungeon will put you at normal levels.
---
Give a dude gear and you up his DPS for a day,
Teach a dude a build and you up his DPS a lifetime, or till next expansion...
#3Krazoa2Posted 12/28/2013 6:34:24 AM
You won't be overleveled, don't worry about that. You should be in good standing level-wise but two problems. One, you still might need to level up a bit more than that. Two, it might be hard to go through fighting every battle unless you bring lots of healing items. There are multiple saves per area and they do refill your HP and MP, but you still will probably need some healing before hitting the next one if you fight every battle along the way. Later on in the game there's a specific species of monster that gives you lots of exp, but other than that grinding is pretty much something you do in this game, whether it's through leveling, trying to tame familiars, or trying to get rare items.
---
I don't even read -YouStillHateMe
#4AlltraPosted 12/28/2013 8:10:20 AM
Technically...isn't "Entering every combat situation as you move around the map" grinding? I'd consider it grinding.

I love when people that play RPGs say they don't enjoy grinding, when all things considered most of the game play consists of grinding in one form or another.

No, what you the TC doesn't like is "Excessive" grinding, with "Excessive" always being defined as "More than I want to".

I personally think, outside of taming familiars, and some of the postgame Alchemy Item Hunting, this game does a great job of keeping the grinding below excessive levels. Even leveling up is fairly quick and easy, so you don't have to fight an inordinate number of battles to get strong enough to progress. Hell, the mandatory, unskippable fights, tend to give you more than enough experience to progress without having to fight random battles at all.
---
"Cute" is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#5turbanmythPosted 12/28/2013 9:12:57 AM
Krazoa2 posted...
You won't be overleveled, don't worry about that. You should be in good standing level-wise but two problems. One, you still might need to level up a bit more than that. Two, it might be hard to go through fighting every battle unless you bring lots of healing items. There are multiple saves per area and they do refill your HP and MP, but you still will probably need some healing before hitting the next one if you fight every battle along the way. Later on in the game there's a specific species of monster that gives you lots of exp, but other than that grinding is pretty much something you do in this game, whether it's through leveling, trying to tame familiars, or trying to get rare items.

He's assuming you have the IQ of a chimpanzee TC, I was assuming you were an intelligent person. Decide which one you are and go with his or my advice.
---
Give a dude gear and you up his DPS for a day,
Teach a dude a build and you up his DPS a lifetime, or till next expansion...
#6Pure ImaginaryPosted 12/28/2013 10:51:08 AM
Difficulty is relative to:

* Your own understanding of the game
* Your experience with related games
* Your willingness to do pesky things (like occasionally magic snipe bosses to death while picking up glims after your allies have fallen)
* How much sidequesting you do (the more sidequest battles you endure, the more levels you gain and the greater your funds become)
* Sure, your own intelligence

If you're stuck with a certain boss that you simply don't have the means to cope with (maybe like that first big-time fight you face after gaining access to a ship), you can switch to easy mode (at least temporarily) if you really want to. Also, if you do manage to get a game over, you can continue without losing your progress or levels for a small fraction of your currency (10%), so it's not like getting defeated halfway between save points badly hurts you.
#7bosco9Posted 12/28/2013 2:44:48 PM
I haven't done too much grinding but I've probably spent a couple of hours doing the games side-quests. If you do the quests, you will have to go back and revisit areas that you already beat so you end up leveling up/gaining gold quicker and then you're good to go for when the next dungeon opens up.

It still ends up being very repetitive though, especiallly the million give heart/take heart quests in the game
---
PSN ID: jrt567
#8Krazoa2Posted 12/28/2013 11:11:09 PM
turbanmyth posted...
He's assuming you have the IQ of a chimpanzee TC, I was assuming you were an intelligent person. Decide which one you are and go with his or my advice.

And if he buys into this, then he'll deserve the outcome, like our buddy Alltra over there.
---
I don't even read -YouStillHateMe