So, is the game going to get enjoyable at some point?

#1boy_luckPosted 1/8/2014 7:02:04 PM(edited)
An honest question. I'm a long-time JRPG fan and I enjoy and love 100+ hour quests that'll keep me busy for months and months, but I have to say it: Ni no Kuni was a disappointment.

While the game does have a certain charm and it looks pretty, the rest is just terrible. The sidequests fit the standard JRPG galore (fetching, hunting, grinding, etc), and are moderately enjoyable, but the story drags and drags, and the alchemy systems is barely noticeable. However, my biggest gripe with the game is the battle system: it's crap; utter garbage.

Now, I've been reading some comments on the board regarding the game's quality and I find it weird that people actually overlook the combat system in favor of other aspects of the game. I'm sorry, but while a nice atmosphere and good story or item systems are nice additions, the battle system is everything in an RPG.

It is so bad that it has actually taken away from the experience and made the game extremely boring. I dread running into enemies mostly because it's a taxing chore to battle them, and not because it's deep and complicated, but because it is shallow and dull.

It reminds me quite a lot of FFXIII's paradigm system and, to be quite frank, that one was better executed than Ni no Kuni's horrendous mess of a fighting structure: mash X for random battles and kinda switch strategies for bosses (some of which have good difficulty pikes, so that's a pro for Ni no Kuni). That said, at least the ai in FFXIII was marginally apt, while this game's is just plain awful; so much that guides and walkthroughs try to address the issue.

All in all, the glaring flaws on the battle system are just too obvious and horrible to ignore. This game should not have received all the praise it got.

Anyway, honestly, is it going to pick up at some point? I already have the dragon and travel spell, and the game still feels sluggish and just plain ol' boring.
---
The gamefaqs mods are heavy drinkers.
Sora is a terrible character... just awful!
#2AlltraPosted 1/8/2014 7:20:46 PM
...the battle system is everything in an RPG."

I don't agree with this comment, and that's probably why I find enjoyment out of the game and you don't. Even then though, the combat is passable and enjoyable enough.

The problem with the Alchemy System is that they don't unlock recipes fast enough. You actually have access to a very large portion of the system the moment you gain access to it, but you'd never know because they're slower than dirt when it comes to releasing new recipes, and trying to experiment is nearly impossible. You'd have to look up recipes online or in a guide to make full, effective use of the system.

But no, the game is as interesting as it's going to get. Frankly, it was as interesting as it was going to get when you got the Sea Cow. It doesn't get more interesting than that, with all the places you can explore, all the loot you can find, all the Alchemy Items you can make, ect...

If you find all that boring, then just quit, cause it is what you've seen.
---
"Cute" is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#3TopdrunkeePosted 1/8/2014 9:31:42 PM
Alltra posted...
...the battle system is everything in an RPG."

I don't agree with this comment, .

I do, that's exactly why I prefer Jrpgs & oldschool Wrpgs (Pool of Radiance, Eye of the Beholder, Temple of Elemental Evil.) over modern Larp crap like Skyrim & Mass Effect. I did like Dragon Age Origins, but I can't bare to replay it because of all the nonsensical dialogue and romances.

Personally I'd just stick with Dragon's Crown, Tales of Xillia & Demons Souls.
If you have a 360 go for Vesperia. It's way better than Xillia and Vesperia even has Ni No Kuni's cartoony gfx style.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/BoozeAholic
#4AlltraPosted 1/8/2014 9:50:14 PM
I don't simply because combat isn't the only game play in a good RPG. The combat system better be goddamn good, if that's all the game offers. But most RPG combat isn't much better than NNK, and the ones that try to be different and make it more interesting do little but make the repetitive nature of most RPGs even worse. At least here it's a little less shallow because you can move around the field and avoid attacks. It's too bad the game is so damn easy, and gives out experience so liberally, because it makes it so that you don't have to use that aspect of combat, and just spam attack to beat everything.

This game shines in other areas of game play though. The exploration is top notch, and the collecting aspect is done very well too.

It's a shame they screwed the pooch on the taming and raising mechanic though.

The story and NPC interactivity suck too, but what were you really expecting from a "For Everyone" style game. (For Everyone being synonymous with "Kiddy")
---
"Cute" is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#5nonexistingheroPosted 1/9/2014 5:25:17 AM
While the battle system isn't that great, it's far better than FFXIII's battle system. On top of that, FFXIII doesn't even have any other relevant gameplay elements outside of the battle system.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#6AeriusPosted 1/9/2014 6:58:43 AM
Did you even play FF13? I'm not a huge fan of it either, but I don't know how you can defend that statement.

Early game it is basically the same, you get into battles and mash x. Certainly neither is "far better" than the other.

Late/end game the difference is massive. NNK is one earsplitter away from killing every end-game enemy, golden enemies etc included. At least in FF13 you had to use strategy to kill the end game enemies, and there was a lot of discussion on how to accelerate kill times and such.
---
RPGs Beaten(104) Maxed(63), Recovered MMORPG addict
Current: Suikoden Tierkreis, Ni No Kuni, Atelier Meruru
#7turbanmythPosted 1/9/2014 7:49:01 AM
The battle mechanics of NNK is something of a prototype that's probably why it's flawed. I haven't played a game yet that gives you the possibility of playing 12 different characters/play styles at each give moment only NNK.

While you technically control only one character, you do have the option to switch to 11 other characters. And this where it could have gone really well with enough beta testing and proper design.

My speculation here is that they could have incorporated FF12's gambit system but decided otherwise as it would have become a tedious process to spec out each familiar and PC. And maybe too complex a task for younger players, who were the target audience. Just my 2 cents.
---
Give a dude gear and you up his DPS for a day,
Teach a dude a build and you up his DPS a lifetime, or till next expansion...
#8nonexistingheroPosted 1/9/2014 9:15:08 AM
Aerius posted...
Did you even play FF13? I'm not a huge fan of it either, but I don't know how you can defend that statement.

Early game it is basically the same, you get into battles and mash x. Certainly neither is "far better" than the other.

Late/end game the difference is massive. NNK is one earsplitter away from killing every end-game enemy, golden enemies etc included. At least in FF13 you had to use strategy to kill the end game enemies, and there was a lot of discussion on how to accelerate kill times and such.

Didn't play it much, but saw over half of the entire game from my sisters who also agreed there wasn't much required strategy. Battles generally just lasted long and became more of a matter of changing jobs while mashing attack. Though sometimes using a supermove of sorts to increase stun % a lot to make it go faster. Ni No Kuni's battle system isn't as good as it could be, because it's not balanced enough (and thus, easy to break). FFXIII's battle system is all that it can be and still sucks.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#9teepoyakiPosted 1/9/2014 4:13:30 PM
I agree with you, since I play RPGs primarily for story and combat. The combat in RPGs SHOULD be good since most of them are spent walking and fighting, but in this game it's terrible and that's why I can't enjoy it.
#10boy_luck(Topic Creator)Posted 1/9/2014 4:55:13 PM(edited)
nonexistinghero posted...
Aerius posted...

Didn't play it much, but saw over half of the entire game from my sisters who also agreed there wasn't much required strategy. Battles generally just lasted long and became more of a matter of changing jobs while mashing attack. Though sometimes using a supermove of sorts to increase stun % a lot to make it go faster. Ni No Kuni's battle system isn't as good as it could be, because it's not balanced enough (and thus, easy to break). FFXIII's battle system is all that it can be and still sucks.

Ni no Kuni's piss-poor excuse of a battle system has nothing to do with with not being balanced enough. The whole thing was executed terribly and it is pretty clear that it definitely wasn't tested for long. I do agree that it had to be kept fairly simple due to the game's target audience, but that's no excuse to deliver a heavily faulty product that relies only on charm and pretty graphics.

As for FFXIII, I only said Ni no Kuni's battle system reminded me a lot of that one, but only because of the X mashing and boss-strategy switching, and while you can go through the motions in FFXIII for most of the game, endgame battles are a whole different story. That's where FFXIII truly shines and where you can see that much thought was put into the system. Believe me, FFXIII's battle system is BY FAR superior to what Ni no Kuni's could ever aspire to be. In hindsight, the big problems with FFXIII stemmed mostly from rabid fanboys who couldn't cope with the change.

At any rate, FF is not what's being discussed here, it's the very lacking product that Ni no Kuni is and that it is basically glorified crap because it was developed by Ghibli.
---
The gamefaqs mods are heavy drinkers.
Sora is a terrible character... just awful!