So, is the game going to get enjoyable at some point?

#31RedXIII202Posted 1/14/2014 10:15:16 PM(edited)

I didn't have those issues with DQVIII. Random battles weren't an issue, because they gave you skills that prevented them, and they gave you a skill that forced an encounter for the times you wanted to fight. The only thing about Random Battles that annoyed me was finding the enemy I wanted.

As for "OMG 28 Slimes and a Dino"...it was more like...8 dancing jesters, 2 groups of 3 and one group of 2. So it either took 3 group attacks to kill them all, or one field attack if you had a Field Effect spell or skill at that point. Nothing all that crazy. Plus, as I recall, you could turn off attack animations, which sped things up too.

As for difficulty spikes...I don't remember there being any. The game had a fairly smooth difficulty throughout.

No way man. Then I'm guessing you're used to grinding for hours in your RPGs? I'm no newbie when it comes to these games, but IIRC DQVIII was just like Persona 3 when in came to pace and difficulty spikes. I likes my RPGs nice and Ex-lax'd, Dragon Quest was super constipated.

8 Jesters in 3 groups, that doesn't sound like too many?...Especially for a turn based RPG? I'm sure I've seen groups with at least 10 enemies. If you're underleved, allocated your skill points incorrectly(which is way too easy to do), or spend extra time grinding for materials for alchemy, you'll definitely not be able to take on those 8 jesters you speak of or any boss in the game. They tried to make it too old school IMO. Things got really boring real fast.

As far as the skill to avoid enemy encounters, you don't get it until really far into the game right? I can't remember its been forever since I've played it.

DQ8 didnt get fun until the postgame, once the abilities open up and you get all of the cool armor. I respect your opinion, but I thought DragonQuest could've been better. *shrugs*
---
One who knows nothing can understand nothing.
PSN: JaySee_OhZii
#32PinkPikachuPosted 1/16/2014 12:32:20 AM
Travesty1990 posted...
Most people seem to forget that an RPG is based around story and not combat systems and such.

more like role playing lol
#33rrhammerPosted 1/16/2014 4:01:29 AM(edited)
Wth. Let this thread die already gentlemen. It was just some dime-a-dozen troll rambling about how he hates the game. The same stuff over n over. Best answer for these kinds of topics is "No. It's not going to get enjoyable. Bye." and "Stop playing." I told that loser exactly that two pages ago (i embellished a bit for my own trolling purposes).
#34Bryson777Posted 1/16/2014 6:43:38 AM
Agree with rrhammer. If a game is full of bugs or whatever, I can see the need to complain but if a game is not to your liking then just move on. It happens to the best of us. We can't like every single game. Personally I was hooked on this game and I consider myself an extremely jaded gamer.

After hearing so many good things about the Tales series I put 20 hours into Tales of Symphonia on the gamecube before realizing that it just wasn't for me and haven't touched the series since. Too bland. Same for Dragon Quest after having been a huge fan of Dragon Warrior on the original NES.
#35Albelnox0Posted 1/29/2014 2:38:06 AM
FFXIII's battle system is the ATB system just injected with steriods because you can input more commands according to how much the ATB time gauge is filled. I don't see why people should even complain about it. The whole point of the paradigm system is to switch jobs on the fly which is cool. (imagine being able to switch from ninja to white mage to black mage on the fly) It spices things up with the ATB system.

The you mash X is very weak argument considering its the most used button in every Final Fantasy to input your commands in battle.

Every Final Fantasy has the same ATB system with a few tweeks here and there. And every Final Fantasy is different, and is going to be different from each other. People aren't going to like all of them. And people should remember that Final Fantasy isn't about being just like your favorite final fantasy every time. If every FF was like VII then it would be the call of duty of JRPGs.

Final Fantasy is about bringing new worlds, new characters, new stories, exc. It has no formula or blueprint. You can expect something new and different every new entry. Because of this not everyone is going to like every FF. FF Is not about your favorite FF and how it should be like your favorite FF every entry. If you lost site of this, then maybe Final Fantasy isn't the franchise for you.
#36ZexxCrinePosted 1/29/2014 10:45:11 AM
boy_luck posted...
nonexistinghero posted...
Aerius posted...
Did you even play FF13? I'm not a huge fan of it either, but I don't know how you can defend that statement.

Early game it is basically the same, you get into battles and mash x. Certainly neither is "far better" than the other.

Late/end game the difference is massive. NNK is one earsplitter away from killing every end-game enemy, golden enemies etc included. At least in FF13 you had to use strategy to kill the end game enemies, and there was a lot of discussion on how to accelerate kill times and such.

Didn't play it much, but saw over half of the entire game from my sisters who also agreed there wasn't much required strategy. Battles generally just lasted long and became more of a matter of changing jobs while mashing attack. Though sometimes using a supermove of sorts to increase stun % a lot to make it go faster. Ni No Kuni's battle system isn't as good as it could be, because it's not balanced enough (and thus, easy to break). FFXIII's battle system is all that it can be and still sucks.

Ni no Kuni's piss-poor excuse of a battle system has nothing to do with with not being balanced enough. The whole thing was executed terribly and it is pretty clear that it definitely wasn't tested for long. I do agree that it had to be kept fairly simple due to the game's target audience, but that's no excuse to deliver a heavily faulty product that relies only on charm and pretty graphics.

As for FFXIII, I only said Ni no Kuni's battle system reminded me a lot of that one, but only because of the X mashing and boss-strategy switching, and while you can go through the motions in FFXIII for most of the game, endgame battles are a whole different story. That's where FFXIII truly shines and where you can see that much thought was put into the system. Believe me, FFXIII's battle system is BY FAR superior to what Ni no Kuni's could ever aspire to be. In hindsight, the big problems with FFXIII stemmed mostly from rabid fanboys who couldn't cope with the change.

At any rate, FF is not what's being discussed here, it's the very lacking product that Ni no Kuni is and that it is basically glorified crap because it was developed by Ghibli.

Dude you'll can literally beat all of final fantasy XIII by letting the game pick all your commands while you occasionally switch styles.

At least in ni no kuni you can mash attack instead of mashing I don't want to think so please pick my commands for me. The game plays itself and your just there because that's how games are traditionally. Then there is the fact that this game has like able charactors instead of the whiny emo cast of 13 except for snow and sometimes sahz. But sahz is the only liked charactor because snow is so annoying that you clap every time he gets punched( which doesn't happen near enough)
#37GalluszPosted 1/29/2014 10:53:49 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
While the battle system isn't that great, it's far better than FFXIII's battle system. On top of that, FFXIII doesn't even have any other relevant gameplay elements outside of the battle system.

I actually want to say that Ni no kuni's system reminds me a lot of Tales games

Don't know why
---
"Impossible doesn't mean very difficult. Very difficult is winning the Nobel Prize; impossible is eating the Sun." ~Lou Reed.
#38Krazoa2Posted 1/29/2014 10:37:44 PM
ZexxCrine posted...
Dude you'll can literally beat all of final fantasy XIII by letting the game pick all your commands while you occasionally switch styles.

At least in ni no kuni you can mash attack instead of mashing I don't want to think so please pick my commands for me. The game plays itself and your just there because that's how games are traditionally. Then there is the fact that this game has like able charactors instead of the whiny emo cast of 13 except for snow and sometimes sahz. But sahz is the only liked charactor because snow is so annoying that you clap every time he gets punched( which doesn't happen near enough)

Interesting how you know this. You beat the entire game pressing the "I don't want to think" button? Makes sense. Of course, pro tip, there is an "Abilities" selection down there you can set to be default in the options.

Yeah all the characters are whiney and emo, just like Vanille who is always giggling and happy all the time despite the fact she may turn into a monster. Or Fang who...doesn't do anything emo at all. Or Lightning who is mostly devoid of emotion. Or Hope who, despite being a whiny little boy character, actually manages to get over that at certain parts of the game which is pretty hard to do with a whiny little boy template. Then again, I don't know how much weight is held by the opinion of someone who spells "character" as "charactor".
---
I don't even read -YouStillHateMe
#39boy_luck(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2014 7:49:54 PM
rrhammer posted...
Wth. Let this thread die already gentlemen. It was just some dime-a-dozen troll rambling about how he hates the game. The same stuff over n over. Best answer for these kinds of topics is "No. It's not going to get enjoyable. Bye." and "Stop playing." I told that loser exactly that two pages ago (i embellished a bit for my own trolling purposes).

You're just a rabid fanboy that couldn't take criticism of your favorite game based on facts. I'm sorry, but the awful truth is that this game is simply terrible. If you can't take that and have to whine, proclaiming a false sense of superiority, then that's your problem, child.

All in all, the game is bad. That's all there is to it, which is sad, tbh.
---
The gamefaqs mods are heavy drinkers.
Sora is a terrible character... just awful!
#40RedXIII202Posted 1/31/2014 8:39:43 PM
Trolololololol

This topic hasn't been buried yet? Nice trolling TC you won the war now let this thing die already. Some people like the game, and some people like you TC, will not. That is life, it happens. No need to to be so condescending. IMO for a game to have so many flaws it was one of my favorites from last year. *shrugs*

Inb4rantfromboy_luckthisgameistrashwhineblahblah

You win man. This is where I stop caring. Good show and good day sir.
---
One who knows nothing can understand nothing.
PSN: JaySee_OhZii