The ending kind of sucks :( (spoilers, obviously)

#1nonexistingheroPosted 1/11/2014 7:12:16 PM
First you beat Shadar and you get an absolutely perfect and very satisfying end.

The whole part after that is just like... horrible filler episodes in an anime. The whole part about the white witch could've made for a very nice sequel or 2nd half of the game. But instead it just feels sloppy and unnecessary.

And really, I do think the backstory of the witch is brilliant. But it's a shame that it's practically given to you, that everything is so predictable, routine, etc. It's like Xenogears disc 2, where all the story is just given to you due to lack of development time. It has a lot of potential, but poor execution. Oliver and everyone else were already completely developed characters, which also contributed to this.

I do understand that the original DS game ended after Shadar, but that's even more reason to make the extra part even better. IMO, if you can't come up with a better ending your really have no business in continuing the story. They pretty much ruined a perfect ending this way, IMO.

So what do you guys think about the ending and how the endgame was handled?
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#2AlltraPosted 1/11/2014 8:26:31 PM
I think the ending was fine. It was more interesting than the Shadar Arc, it fleshed out the rest of the story and filled in all the loose ends in the plot, and had better pacing than the main storyline, which dragged horribly.

Frankly, the only thing wrong with it was that they didn't show any of the aftermath like they did for the end of the Shadar Arc. That would be my only criticism.
---
"Cute" is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#3nonexistinghero(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2014 6:10:58 PM
I don't see how it's more interesting than the Shadar arc (though I do suppose opinions can vary). Why I think that, aside from everything feeling like horrid filler:

- None of the characters received anymore development. Oliver was a master wizard and could only do good and right. There was no sense of struggle anywhere, it felt like he just surfed through it all with no effort.

- Messes with the development of other characters. Marcassin is just a bad addition in every way, he should've been fixing his kingdom instead.

- No plot twists or big reveals outside of Pea being part of the white witch, which is pretty much revealed almost immediately after the arc starts. Would've had a much better effect if it was revealed just before or after the final battle.

- Lack of emotion and despair in the white witch. She spent so much time in darkness, alone... yet she was completely 'healed' from it very quickly. They could've really done something special with this, such as the queen erasing the Pea part from herself in desperation.

- Some plot holes... her father being a council member to protect her... when the council in actuality were just figments of imagination. Oh, let's not forget that 'real' wand he left behind. That just reeks of Deus Ex Machina.

The way they resolved all those leftover issues after Shadar, I found that to be handled very poorly. Which is sad, because there was a lot of potential for it.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#4Bryson777Posted 1/12/2014 9:09:01 PM
I agree with both of you in that the game started to drag a bit leading up to Shadar BUT it was soo worth it. That fight was epic, the reveal, the plot twists and the back to back to back triple boss fight. I was like, are you friggin kidding me? lol

With the White Witch, there was nothing new in the boss mechanics, the story was kind of predictable if not somewhat unsatisfying considering he embarked on this whole journey to save his mother to begin with.There was definitely room for improvement but overall it was a still a great game.
#5Krazoa2Posted 1/13/2014 5:53:48 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
First you beat Shadar and you get an absolutely perfect and very satisfying end.

It wasn't satisfying for me, of course that's because I already knew it wasn't the end thanks to a bunch of idiots spoiling it on this site while I was looking for things entirely unrelated to this.

As for the White Witch ending, where I found the Shadar part did feel more complete and made a better ending, I didn't have a problem with the White Witch part either. Honestly, it had to be done. The game is called "Wrath of the White Witch" and her wrath is never in the game until after you beat Shadar. I do agree that it seems that extra ending was rushed, but I don't think it sucked because of this, just that it wasn't as good as it could've been.

I never knew NNK was a DS game before, and that makes a lot more sense with this extra ending now too. To me, it doesn't feel like a filler episode in an anime, but DLC/Add-on content that you don't have to pay extra money for because Level-5 aren't greedy as all hell. I'm always up for extra content, so yay for the extension.

Even if you didn't like it, it shouldn't ruin the Shadar ending for you. That ending still exists, it just concludes only a chapter in the story instead of the entire story, but it still is an ending nonetheless. Just pretend the extra ending is the next game, or NNK1.5 (which it kind of is I guess) or something.

- No plot twists or big reveals outside of Pea being part of the white witch, which is pretty much revealed almost immediately after the arc starts. Would've had a much better effect if it was revealed just before or after the final battle.

I think I was figuring Pea was gonna be some sort of spirit left behind by Oliver's mother, until that never happened. Her being the White Witch wasn't too big a twist but, meh. There is a twist you didn't mention right at the end, when the council comes to life and attacks you even after saving the Witch (can't remember her actual name). I certainly wasn't expecting that.

- Lack of emotion and despair in the white witch. She spent so much time in darkness, alone... yet she was completely 'healed' from it very quickly. They could've really done something special with this, such as the queen erasing the Pea part from herself in desperation.

I don't get what you mean. While healing she should get rid of the good part of herself?.. And realistically she should be a bit more troubled, but it would've been awkward for her to convey so much emotion at that time. Honestly, people can't handle realism. I won't spoiler Star Ocean 4 if you haven't played it, but one character does something very bad and becomes very depressed about it afterwards for a while, and most people use that as one of the main reasons they hate that game and complain that he was just being emo. Plus, this is a kids game so you can't make it too gloomy.

- Some plot holes... her father being a council member to protect her... when the council in actuality were just figments of imagination. Oh, let's not forget that 'real' wand he left behind. That just reeks of Deus Ex Machina.

Doesn't sound like a plothole to me. He was playing along with her delusion, hiding among it. Sounds pretty clever to me actually. It would be deus ex machina if...it actually mattered. I can't remember exactly, but I don't think the story would've changed much if that wand never existed, right? I'm sure they could've just let Mornstar take care of everything and it would've been basically the same.

The way they resolved all those leftover issues after Shadar, I found that to be handled very poorly. Which is sad, because there was a lot of potential for it.

What issues are you talking about? I just don't remember.
---
I don't even read -YouStillHateMe
#6oryantgePosted 1/14/2014 9:11:40 PM
I love the ending which seems to be a unpopular opinion.

Also. The Wizard King was explained completely. He is actually a memory stored in the wand. He took on the shape of one of the Zodiarch. The witch wasn't aware because she had to forget they weren't real in order to keep them around. This is why when Oliver tells her she is alone she is shocked for a second and they disappear. She probably created the Zodiarch and then the Astra wand's power used her magic and "corrupted" the Zodiarch and used the image to act according to the wizard king's memory.

I think that the White Witch was healed just as quickly as Shadar. (And she put up a better fight...) She was truly good on the inside and the only reason she was evil was that she banish the light in her heart, Pea. She banished Pea because Pea want to figure her, but Cassiopeia couldn't allow it. Oliver's friendship with Pea (A part of her soul) opens her heart enough to let Pea back in. If you think of Oliver's friendship with Pea as part of the healing process then actually healing Cassiopeia is actually a longer affair and much more affected by Oliver. Oliver's mom did all the heavy lifting with Shadar.

I didn't want any plot twists. I wanted them to tell me what had been going of with Pea, the Witch, the Wizard king, to tie up the loose ends in a fun and interesting way and they did. Her battle was way more challenging and I can't wait to take on the Guardian of Worlds.

Overall this game came a perfect time in my life. And because that it has opened up my heart and nestle its way in and I always will love my time spent playing. I did tear up a little with Shadar's ending and I did feel complete after it, but I like the extra ending because it explained some things. I was happy for more time in the most beautiful world I've play in in a long while.

I do dislike Marcassin, I'd be fine with him staying home... His legs and tiny and he had no butt. He annoys me to look at... and when he speaks... He is a useful spell caster. If only he was mute...