Any must know tips for a new player?

#1pvdmikePosted 1/17/2014 6:49:56 AM
I don't play a lot of RPGs these days, but the price dropped so low for this game with great review scores, I had to buy it. I just started last night with my daughters and It's beautiful and so far kid friendly and accessible. I don't have a lot of time to play so if there's any tips like must have items or the best attacks, i'd appreciate any advice. thanks
---
PSN: PVDMIKE
STEAM: pvdmike
#2Paker512k4Posted 1/17/2014 10:20:35 AM
Take your time and explore to fully get the experience of this game. Trying to bulldoze through it will lead to frustration.
---
Peace Out!
#3copycat2008Posted 1/17/2014 11:09:31 AM
a familiar you get in the golden grove throught story line a seed sprite, he's a very good healer later on. very weak on attacks but swap him in and out he has a very good healing spell.

I keep two tanks on olivers line up, a lumberwood and a monolight
monolight you'll find outside castaway cove, 2nd best tank for me.
I swap them out when one is out of stamina or defend timer runs out. good for tanking and just let the others do the damage, good for survival when your up against boss.

get one of those Banana looking familiar in the desert, they have high attack and defense.
#4maltzsanPosted 1/17/2014 11:27:09 AM
- Up to mid game, regular battles are mostly about regular attacks. So you want to field familiars with good Attack and Defense, such as Mitey. (Later on there will be better replacement) Conserve your Magic for healing post-battle.

- If the AI tend to spend Magic too quickly in regular battles, you can manually remove expensive tricks from familiars.

- Boss fights tend to be a lot harder than regular battles. The trick is to monitor the boss's preparation for their special attacks, and manually defend (cancel attacks and choose defend).

- In harder battles, make good use of provisions, which include restorative items (Sandwich for HP, Coffee for Magic). They are quite cheap to make and improve by yourself later.

- Don't field a low level familiar (e.g. when you first get it) as even regular enemies can slaughter them. All familiars gain the same amount of experience as long as they are included in the three-slot roster of an active party member.
#5pvdmike(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2014 12:32:01 PM
wow....I didn't expect this many detailed responses. Thank you all for your help. I'm very excited to get lost in this game. It also seems to be a great introduction to JRPGs for my children. (I need to break my 8yr old of her Diablo III habit)
---
PSN: PVDMIKE
STEAM: pvdmike
#6ephman97Posted 1/17/2014 2:31:55 PM
Not really a tip, but IMHO the game gets much better, and more exciting, after about 10-20 hours (depending on how fast you progress). The first part of the game is really an extended tutorial, and does not reflect the complexities and the richness of the game mechanics that are unlocked later. In particular, combat becomes a lot more fun and backtracking becomes a lot less burdensome.

Enjoy!
---
PSN ephman97. Favorites: Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light (novel), John Boorman's Excalibur (film), Final Fantasy VII (game), Vanguard (investment company)
#7copycat2008Posted 1/17/2014 3:42:54 PM
FF7 was my first jrpg, you should try that too if you dont mind the graphics.
I also Loved ff12. love them both. I have both copies in my collection
#8Legend053180Posted 1/18/2014 8:58:00 AM
Yes, endure the early mind numbing backtracking. Just know that later on you'll get a spell to warp you to the major places, and two forms of transportation (which I won't say what).
#9kingrat2314Posted 1/23/2014 2:01:26 PM
pvdmike posted...
wow....I didn't expect this many detailed responses. Thank you all for your help. I'm very excited to get lost in this game. It also seems to be a great introduction to JRPGs for my children. (I need to break my 8yr old of her Diablo III habit)

Your 8 year old daughter plays Diablo III?

Parenting: you're doing it right!
---
One among the fence
#10IrukichanPosted 1/23/2014 11:59:12 PM
I thought I was doing myself a favor my first playthrough by grabbing the best endgame familiars and leveling them knowing they were late bloomers. The familiars that blossom at 80+ is not worth wasting your time on during the main game. You can beat the game using nearly any familiar, and for a bit of perspective, I beat the game once at 40 and once at 55. Once you beat the game and if you want to do the Solomon Trials, or just want to play with different familiars, it's very easy to farm Tokos and level them to max. Basically I just wish I had played with whatever I wanted the first time around.