Game appeals to hardcore JRPG fans?

#1TonyaLunchTimePosted 3/20/2014 9:32:51 PM
I'm about 30 hours in, have done every quest thus far, almost found all the secret chests, and messed around with alchemy for a decent amount of time. I can tell I'm nearing the end of act 2, and my next stop is miasma town.

I'm a big time JRPG fan, played every DQ/FF, bought Chrono Trigger when it first came out for the SNES, played through nearly every JRPG on the PS1, and most of the one's on the PS2. FF XII, Xenogears, and Earthbound are probably my top three games, and I love DQ VII and VIII (I love all of them, really, even the older ones).

I was sort of promised that this was the JRPG of generation, better than FF XIII, up there with all the great DS games. But the game feels sort of lackluster when all's said and done. It's a really good game, but certainly not a great one. It's a missed opportunity for something better : /

What sort of people love this game and are really impressed with it? Who would give this a 9/10?

/blogfaqs
---
sorry dad i guess we all just fell for chung mania.
#2AlltraPosted 3/20/2014 10:34:49 PM(edited)
"I was sort of promised that this was the JRPG of generation..."

I don't know who sold you on that, but they were blowing smoke up your ass. It's a classically styled RPG in the same basic design as "Old School" RPGs of the PS1 era. World Map, lots of side quests, plenty of mini-games, lots of exploration, a monster raising mechanic, a crafting system, ect...

The only difference being it's not strictly turn based, but a hybrid system that incorporates free movement and pseudo-turn based combat through the use of timers that simulate a "Turn Based" experience.

...and I would. Maybe not a 9/10, that's too high, because there's a number of executional issues, but the core of the game is fantastic and everything I want out of an RPG. There are small issues that mar the experience and could be improved upon, but nothing so horrible that it kills the enjoyability.
---
"Cute" is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#3sonofcasbahPosted 3/20/2014 11:34:03 PM
I don't know anyone who claimed this was the JRPG of the generation.

It's an easy 7/8 out of 10 though.
---
PSN: SonOfCasbah
3DS FC: 3007-8570-9845
#4turbanmythPosted 3/21/2014 2:50:11 AM
It is quite unfair to compare a 2014 band playing 1960's music to an actual 1960's band. Although the 2014 band may sound better because they are using better technology, the 1960's band will sound more original, genuine and groundbreaking when it comes to playing 1960's music. While the 2014 band will sound like a simple mimicry of the 1960's band. That doesn't mean that the 2014 band is playing poorly, it just means that it is an unfair comparison.
---
Give a dude gear and you up his DPS for a day,
Teach a dude a build and you up his DPS a lifetime, or till next expansion...
#5Krazoa2Posted 3/21/2014 6:44:30 AM(edited)
sonofcasbah posted...

SPIKE TV SUPER MEGA AWESOME NOTS***ATALL VIDEO GAME AWARDS GIVES NNK BEST RPG OF THE YEER!!1111

It's a fun good, and a good one for bringing back that good old RPG feel that's been gone for years, but it's not some massively amazing game. It's a nice, fun experience, but that's about it.

The people who go "THIS IS THE BEST JRPG OF THE GENERATION" pretty much don't play these types of games often at all. It's all media BS. Games are advertised based on popularity nowadays, not how good they actually are, so in the future you should look into them more carefully before purchasing to know exactly what you're gonna get. Honestly though, this could've been one of those games if the combat wasn't such an unpolished mess.

Have you tried Rogue Galaxy?
---
I don't even read -YouStillHateMe
#6TybisPosted 3/21/2014 6:44:18 AM
I really enjoyed this game. I wouldn't put it at the #1 spot but it would probably make it into my top 10 of all time.

However, I grew up playing RPGs on the NES such as the original Final Fantasy and can't stand the junk they pass off as FF nowadays such as FFXIII.

So, in answer to your question, I would say people who played RPGs in the mid-late 80s and early 90s would probably enjoy the nostalgic feel that this game gives while still being a beautiful new experience.
---
PSN ID: Tybis
#7TonyaLunchTime(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 8:30:07 AM
Krazoa2 posted...
sonofcasbah posted...

The people who go "THIS IS THE BEST JRPG OF THE GENERATION" pretty much don't play these types of games often at all. It's all media BS. Games are advertised based on popularity nowadays, not how good they actually are, so in the future you should look into them more carefully before purchasing to know exactly what you're gonna get. Honestly though, this could've been one of those games if the combat wasn't such an unpolished mess.

My only issue with the combat is that the AI is awful. They could've implemented a gambit system like in FF XII or something like in Dragon's Dogma. Really, it's the uninteresting pacing and recycling of towns that's been turning me off.

When you see Phil later on, for instance, you're like "I liked this guy, but I haven't seen him in 30 hours so I don't really care..."

Is Rogue Galaxy pretty good?
---
sorry dad i guess we all just fell for chung mania.
#8megasoniczxxPosted 3/21/2014 12:03:59 PM
TonyaLunchTime posted...
Krazoa2 posted...
sonofcasbah posted...

My only issue with the combat is that the AI is awful. They could've implemented a gambit system like in FF XII or something like in Dragon's Dogma. Really, it's the uninteresting pacing and recycling of towns that's been turning me off.

When you see Phil later on, for instance, you're like "I liked this guy, but I haven't seen him in 30 hours so I don't really care..."

Is Rogue Galaxy pretty good?

Rogue galaxy is a pretty good game if you like going through dungeons and stuff (kind of like dark cloud) and it has basically the replay value that this game has, with a pretty decent battle system to boot (though be warned, you die easily in this game).
---
Nuh uh, I personally have seen elize kick a damn kitten, vote republican and spit on alvin's steak dinner, chick is 100 percent pure evil~Maddewg
#9sonofcasbahPosted 3/21/2014 10:32:10 PM(edited)
Krazoa2 posted...
sonofcasbah posted...

SPIKE TV SUPER MEGA AWESOME NOTS***ATALL VIDEO GAME AWARDS GIVES NNK BEST RPG OF THE YEER!!1111

It's a fun good, and a good one for bringing back that good old RPG feel that's been gone for years, but it's not some massively amazing game. It's a nice, fun experience, but that's about it.

Well aside from those idiots. I consider them idiots because they're the kind of people who won't touch a JRPG at all, unless it avoids looking "overly japanese" or "weeb".

Ni No Kuni looks like those weird cartoon films they watched when they were younger about the witch girl delivering stuff or the one about a girl having to rescue her piggy parents.
---
PSN: SonOfCasbah
3DS FC: 3007-8570-9845
#10AlltraPosted 3/22/2014 12:46:51 AM
To be honest with you, while it's probably not the "Best" RPG of the generation, it's really goddamn close. This generation SUCKED really hard for RPGs. I can't emphasize enough how horrible most RPGs were this generation. So, while NNK might be up there with the best of this generation, that's not saying a hell of a lot considering what it was up against.
---
"Cute" is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.