Game appeals to hardcore JRPG fans?

#11TonyaLunchTime(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2014 1:44:10 AM
Alltra posted...
To be honest with you, while it's probably not the "Best" RPG of the generation, it's really goddamn close. This generation SUCKED really hard for RPGs. I can't emphasize enough how horrible most RPGs were this generation. So, while NNK might be up there with the best of this generation, that's not saying a hell of a lot considering what it was up against.

I think this is a stretch. There are a handful of great JRPGs for the DS, including Etrian Odyssey III and SMT Strange Journey ; )

Ni no Kuni is a pretty good game, but it's never a great game. It's a pretty sorry excuse for a game that tries to "get to the roots of JRPGs" with its world map and whatever else it has going for it...they needed better writers, more than anything.
---
sorry dad i guess we all just fell for chung mania.
#12Krazoa2Posted 3/24/2014 5:24:39 PM
TonyaLunchTime posted...
My only issue with the combat is that the AI is awful. They could've implemented a gambit system like in FF XII or something like in Dragon's Dogma. Really, it's the uninteresting pacing and recycling of towns that's been turning me off.

When you see Phil later on, for instance, you're like "I liked this guy, but I haven't seen him in 30 hours so I don't really care..."

Is Rogue Galaxy pretty good?

The AI is very awful, and I hated the fact all the options don't work exactly as they should (for example, Oliver still uses Ward while set on "Do nothing"), but I've played loads of games with awful AI so it's not like it's anything new. My biggest issue was the menu navigation and the kind of auto-control your familiars had after being given an order. Bad AI is one thing, but when my ability to make up for the bad AI with my own abilities is being hindered, that's where I find the problem. A gambit-like system would've been nice, but it seems like that's a more ideal solution and other systems could've still worked fine. The game seemed like some things were rushed or unfinished to meet the deadline, so that's more something I'd like to see in a NNK2 if one is made, and I'd rather they focused on other issues before it. I believe that's why it feels like some things like the menu navigation are so unpolished.

As for the pacing and revisiting old towns, never bothered me. I don't like when areas are overused, but I also don't like when they're simply passed over. I like when you revisit some areas as it makes them feel a bit more important, and this game touched the right balance of that for me. The out-of-battle stuff made up most of my favorite parts of the game.

Phil's the little kid in the beginning right? Probably the only character I didn't like.

Maybe people refer to Rogue Galaxy as a hidden gem type. Made by the same company but felt a lot more polished. It's also an action RPG, so it would play more like Dark Cloud or Kingdom Hearts than NNK. Look up some youtube gameplay.

Ni no Kuni is a pretty good game, but it's never a great game. It's a pretty sorry excuse for a game that tries to "get to the roots of JRPGs" with its world map and whatever else it has going for it...they needed better writers, more than anything.

I wouldn't say it's a sorry excuse for it at all. It's certainly no SNES-era RPG, but it tries to combine elements of the classic RPGs with the modern ones, and I feel it does a great job at that. I really did feel like I was playing a classic RPG with the convenience of modern game design. It actually does prove some basic ideas of modern game design isn't all bad, and that's it just implemented very poorly in most games nowadays.

And I have no problem with the writing either? It's supposed to be a story directed at children on how to handle a very difficult situation, and the message from the end of the game is a very good one. It's not written poorly, but also isn't too sophisticated because it has to be comprehended by children still.

Alltra posted...
To be honest with you, while it's probably not the "Best" RPG of the generation, it's really goddamn close. This generation SUCKED really hard for RPGs. I can't emphasize enough how horrible most RPGs were this generation. So, while NNK might be up there with the best of this generation, that's not saying a hell of a lot considering what it was up against.

Now now grandpa, it's time to take your medicine.
---
I don't even read -YouStillHateMe
#13zombone13Posted 3/26/2014 7:14:11 PM
There are two things I hated about Rogue Galaxy. First, leveling up weapons was a huge grind because you didn't retain your mastery for identical weapons.

The other thing I found annoying was how a lot of enemies could only be killed by hitting them in the head, meaning you had to do a lot of jumping.

Otherwise, a very good jrpg with tons of extras.
#14TyrantkingPosted 3/27/2014 4:48:47 PM
Surely its not the RPG of the generation, but its a pretty good one. I grew up playing PS1 RPGs and it reminds me of those games, finally bringing back the world maps and all.

The story is good and the battle system is nice, makibg it one of the best of the recent JRPGs.
---
Hah! Tough luck, kids! If anyone’s going to eat her, it’s me!- Yuri (Shadow Hearts)
#15zombone13Posted 3/28/2014 1:34:11 PM
Yeah, I wish Level 5 would make a sequel and start localizing their recent games.
#16TonyaLunchTime(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 3:56:10 PM
I think Xenoblade is a contender. While not perfect, it's a pretty special game.
---
sorry dad i guess we all just fell for chung mania.