10 reasons why this game is an overrated mess.

#1pixtranPosted 6/7/2014 9:10:24 AM(edited)
I don't like this game at all and I don't understand why people consider it one of the best ever, it's simply too flawed to be considered anything but mediocre at best. Here's 10 major issues I have with this game.

1. Familiars look like crap. They're all so lame and poorly designed they make starter pokemon look like fearsome beasts of legend. It blows my mind that someone designed some derpy abomination like the Eggroll, a freaking bandaged egg with legs, or Rhynosnore, the ugliest pig to ever be designed and thought "ok, it's done, that's how this monster should look!". They even managed to make a PIRATE CAT WITH AN EYEPATCH look bad, which takes some serious effort. And to add insult to injury, when you evolve them they change color and if you're lucky they get some additional horns.

2. Sidequests are copypasted over and over, and the majority of them require you to take heart give heart, which is basically moving to point A, pressing X a few times, going to point B, and pressing X a few times again. The rest is just fetch quests, beat 5 monsters, or capture some monsters. By the third sidequest I was just reading what to do in the recap and mashing X to go through the pointless, overwritten conversation as they were completely uninteresting.

3. Cities are basically glorified corridors like in FFXIII. You can't explore any building except the stores and the one required by the story, and there's nothing to do in them other than talking to NPCs which are completely static and never have anything useful to say. Even more annoying is that in certain cities some random NPCs give you a bunch of alchemy recipes, so if you're not using a guide you'll have no chances of getting them because you'd be tired of reading their pointless banter after the first city.

4. Recruiting familiars is 100% chance based, it's not skill based or anything, so getting them is just mindless grind and getting lucky.

5. The AI is completely useless and dumb, and the different strategies you can select do nothing at all. Esther will always attack the enemy with her crappy harp doing 1dmg and getting killed instead of keeping her distance to heal when needed, for example. Until I started overleveling my companions never did anything useful during battles and kept getting killed over and over. And by then I played the remaining 70% of the game mashing X with Puss in Boats steamrolling everyone, and in the post game I did the same with Dinoceros.

6. I found the music to be completely generic and forgettable. I never found myself thinking about the music of this game, and I actually don't remember any of the music other than the battle and overworld theme and I played this 64 hours already.

7. Motorville is totally useless and there is no reason to ever go there except when the story wants you to mash X to skip some pointless conversations and fight a boss.

8. The story is ridiculous and filled with plot holes, fuzzy logic and general nonsense (no spoilers, maybe I'll elaborate if anyone disagrees).

9. The whole White Witch chapter is tacked on and the game's ending is god awful no matter how you look at it.

10. There's noticeably removed content and rushed parts, for example, the ghost ship or skull mountain, and also, later on they didn't even try coming up with good reasons as to why main characters were brokenharted, such as the queen in Perdida or that mouse in Ding Dong Dell.

So yeah, this is why I dislike this game and why I think it's mediocre at best.
---
Consoles owned:Snes,GB,GBC,N64,DC,GBA,GC,X360,PS2,PSP,Gaming PC,PS3
http://gamercards.exophase.com/89190.png Location: Italy
#2WizardofHothPosted 6/7/2014 10:58:40 AM
The beginning of the game reminds me of Neverending Story II. dunno why but it just does
#3akira900gtPosted 6/7/2014 12:27:10 PM
yeah, i'm about 50 hours in and i agree with almost everything you said. i think i was expecting a lot more from this game since it's so highly regarded.

the story is slow and somewhat boring. i kind of like the music but it doesn't really stand out in most parts. the dialogue isn't very interesting. sidequests are repetitive. motorville is useless. the chance based recruiting of familiars is annoying. i once spent over an hour trying to get one very common familiar for derwin. some of the familiars do look like crap but there are some good looking ones as well.

overall, i'm disappointed but i'll atleast finish it. i don't see myself replaying this anytime soon though.

oh, and drippy is awesome. :)
#4KelvyDinchtPosted 6/7/2014 1:07:53 PM
The only points that I agree with are 2 and 3. But these points apply to lots of PS3 jRPGs these days. Also, I find it really annoying when people try and compare the familiars to Pokemon. The two have completely different art-styles and were obviously designed by very different groups of people to begin with.

Overall I'd say that I disagree entirely with those of you who are saying that this game is overrated. It's easily one of the most thought-out and unique jRPGs to come out during the PS3/360/Wii generation and can even hold its own against some of older PS2 and PS1 RPGs.

I'd say its more of your guys' fault for assuming that reading a review for a game that gets lots of praise automatically guarantees that you are going to be head-over-heels in love with said game.
---
"A machine is created for a purpose; mine is to defeat you. I exist for nothing else."
#5nerotozeroPosted 6/7/2014 8:48:56 PM
Disagree. Loved the heck out of this game. Old school as !?@&. Totally agree with with Kelvy on your comparison to Pokemon... Makes no sense.

You are more than entitled to your opinion. BTW number 4 pretty much defines JPGS (at least old school ones). Mindless grinding and luck...
#6AlphabottPosted 6/8/2014 4:00:44 AM
Number 4: Completely wrong. If you always caught the monster you wanted to it wouldn't be fun. I spent 3 hours yesterday trying to catch a Toko and when I did it was such a relief. A pay off for hard work instead of look Toko oh look I got it straight away. Yay...
---
Toko Double Planet I Got.
#7sonofcasbahPosted 6/8/2014 8:34:36 AM(edited)
I agree with nearly everything you've said. My least favorite aspects of the game were definitely the repetitive sidequests, RNG based familiar capture and that every town is basically a corridor.

Still had fun though.
---
PSN: SonOfCasbah
3DS FC: 3007-8570-9845
#8ragnarok183Posted 6/9/2014 11:37:55 AM
KelvyDincht posted...
The only points that I agree with are 2 and 3. But these points apply to lots of PS3 jRPGs these days. Also, I find it really annoying when people try and compare the familiars to Pokemon. The two have completely different art-styles and were obviously designed by very different groups of people to begin with.

Overall I'd say that I disagree entirely with those of you who are saying that this game is overrated. It's easily one of the most thought-out and unique jRPGs to come out during the PS3/360/Wii generation and can even hold its own against some of older PS2 and PS1 RPGs.

I'd say its more of your guys' fault for assuming that reading a review for a game that gets lots of praise automatically guarantees that you are going to be head-over-heels in love with said game.

Agreed...Comparing this to pokemon and also complaining because of it just proves that your mother got repeatedly drunk while carrying you.

As for point #1, "ugliness," or the opposite of which, is rather subjective...opinions, I guess.

#2 and #3 aren't anything too new for most of the "recent" JRPG's I've played, so I never found those aspects of the game to be that offensive.

For point #4, I'm curious as to how would you have preferred they handle this. If not a bit RNG is involved, then what else?

I never had "too much" issue with the AI, so long as I set it to "keep us healthy," or "provide support," but I do have some problems with who exactly the AI uses...Regardless of what kind of enemy is being confronted, it seems to me that the AI just sticks to whichever familiar is in the lead, and when that familiar's stamina runs dry, it seems to stick to the main character the familiar is attached to (e.g., Oliver, Esther, etc.).

In my opinion, I quite like the music, and particularly the overworld theme...The orchestrated tone sounds very nice. To me, it's far less obnoxious compared to some FF-related drivel (but then again, I was never really fond of any of the FF games I've tried).

You completely lost me for 7-10, as I don't really agree with you on those.

I really wish you had control over the costumes your party uses, instead of it being automatic.
#9AlltraPosted 6/9/2014 3:31:33 PM
With regard to point 4.

-Yes, I do think just catching whatever I wanted would be fun. The fun isn't in the time sink of capturing, because the capture system is a joke, and not the funny kind. It's not fun. If they made capturing them more interesting, interactive, and executed in a way that "how" you capture it had an effect on how powerful they'd be, then I'd agree. As it is though, the fun occurs after you capture them. How you fight with them, and how you choose to develop them is where the fun, interesting game play exists.

I'm a strong believer that RNG needs to be removed from RPG game play as much as possible, and replaced with actual game play.

There's a lot of other stuff I'd love to say with regard to other points, but I have to leave it at that for now.
---
"Cute" is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#10legendriderPosted 6/11/2014 10:08:56 PM
Opinions, just remember that.
You don't understand why people consider it spectacular, they have different opinions from you. Some things you consider great, they may not.

1. I really hate it when people compare any game with some form of monster capture/fighting with Pokemon. You viewing them as ugly is your opinion, and not really a reason as to why the game is bad

2. And 3. Seem to be recent things in recent RPG's so I dunno. It is a tad bland though.

4. RNG is the staple of nearly all RPG games. Don't know why you expected otherwise.

5. The AI is indeed annoying, yes. But I dunno how'd you improve that

6. Opinions.

7. And.....That's just you not caring for the plot and story.

8. Hmmm....I've seen many a Studio Ghibli animation that have plot holes here and there, I'm just used to them now. Of course it's gonna be crazy, you never watched a Ghibli film!?

9. Can't talk about this so I dunno

10. Dunno where you're going with this.

In my opinion I say the game is one of the better JRPG out there. Not absolutely flawless and amazing mind you, but certainly not mediocre. You might have come in expecting too much. I mostly bought it as a Ghibli film rather a game, to be honest.
---
Don't play to win, play for fun. Love playing games with people, that's why I love Wi-Fi.
3DS: 1203-9417-6170, PSN: Trixster196, Y IGN: Tommy