10 reasons why this game is an overrated mess.

#11PresidentShadowPosted 6/13/2014 4:47:03 PM
Ok, but no.
---
A new Onimusha with Akane Yagyu as MC, that's what I need.
#12peter_888Posted 6/14/2014 12:21:30 AM
well I probably agree with #4.

wish there was actual strategy to the monster capturing than just based on pure luck. Like, some mechanic that would influence RNG to your favor rather than just being based on pure luck.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
#13drclaeysPosted 6/16/2014 12:47:12 PM
Friends,

The sad fact is, most of these are true.

BUT, with that said, I still liked this game. Its overrated because there was nothing else at that time to play. so EVERYONE played this game. Because we are starving for rpgs.

so overrated yes, but mess no. Everything has flaws, and this was a first try. so I expected the next game to be much better.

Still an ok game. No a mess, but not perfect either. Thank you for sharing.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan
I have been to Ukraine 3 times, My wife and daughter are from Ukraine. Republicans are SOMEHOW to blame.
#14midsizelebowskiPosted 6/16/2014 9:34:00 PM
While I agree with all your points, I wasn't really bothered by any of the stuff you mentioned except for point #5. The combat system is terrible. The sad part is it could have been decent, but they had to go with the "we need to keep it simple" approach instead of giving the player more control via some sort of gambits system.

Micromanagement is difficult because any time you switch allies their familiar is pulled back, the familiars the AI selects are not always optimal, and you have no way of forcing the AI to stick with the familiar you think they should be using. Unless you restrict the AI to healing they burn through MP way too fast, while MP restoring items are expensive. Also, not being able to change tactics until you're in battle is just dumb.
---
GT - Nigel Tuffnel11
#15DinozorePosted 6/17/2014 1:09:41 AM
#4 is completely accurate. I don't know why almost every game with a monster-capturing mechanic makes this same mistake (Dragon Quest V, for example, was the same way), but they all do. That's one thing Pokemon got completely right on the first try.
---
I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you... ~DuneMan
#16legendriderPosted 6/17/2014 10:33:40 AM
#4 is annoying when quest requirements involve recruiting monsters. That's just plain unfair. However it's in MANY JRPG. RNG is just there, no matter what, in what form.

An added point is that the battle system is a mess. It really is.

It's a good game, but everything has it's flaws.
This game is no exception.
Overrated? Maybe, I dunno. Overrated means that's it gets a lot undeserved praise.
A mess? No
---
Don't play to win, play for fun. Love playing games with people, that's why I love Wi-Fi.
3DS: 1203-9417-6170, PSN: Trixster196, Y IGN: Tommy
#17KushuPosted 6/27/2014 1:57:34 PM
1. Somewhat agree. I'm not a fan of the familiar creature designs. However, I think that it is thematically appropriate. For a story about the imagination of a six-year-old child, I don't expect creatures out of Devil May Cry.

2. Disagree on two fronts.
"moving to point A, pressing X a few times, going to point B, and pressing X a few times again" This might be kinda selling sidequests short. You're boiling them down too far. Side quests in a lot of games--hell MAIN content in most games--derive from pressing X at point A, then again at point B. Repeat ad infinitum. If we're going to take sidequests to task for it, then I feel like we should be just as disgusted that all we do in any videogame is push a few directional buttons, then push a few face buttons.

Similarly, while the game is extremely tentative about doing so, it includes sidequests that require lateral thinking. Horace's riddles aren't just something you can mash X through. They require some moderately complex problem solving skills and information synthesis. Maybe you got them all your first time. Maybe not. But they're good puzzles.

3. See 2. This is pretty much the case in every game.

4. Agreed.
5. I agree that the AI is bad.
6. I can't remember.

7. Agreed, but I think you're being overly reductionist again. Yeah, it quickly becomes apparent that all heartbroken storyline characters are going to require a trip to motorville to fight a miniboss. But storytelling is a huge part of gaming in general, and RPGs more specifically. Within this particular genre, story advancement generally isn't referred to as "Pointless."

8. I can't remember. I wouldn't mind seeing you elaborate on 8 and 9.

10. I think you're reading things that aren't there. Each of these figures was heartbroken for a specific reason. The 2 "ships" not factoring in more completely (as dungeons or whatever) represent trope subversion. Many RPGs feature "Ghost Ship" and "Airship" area. This game pulls the switcheroo and makes them largely a non-issue.
---
Sony: LOL! You PAID for that ****? Sux bro, you should get it free like we do.
#18PresidentShadowPosted 6/27/2014 4:54:52 PM
This game is a pure masterpiece.
If you don't like it get back to COD/BF and don't pretend to be a gamer
---
A new Onimusha with Akane Yagyu as MC, that's what I need.
#19Nemo4everPosted 6/27/2014 9:10:58 PM
I'm about 35 hours into the game and thinking about quitting for many of the reasons you've mentioned.

pixtran posted...
1. Familiars look like crap.

Eh, the familiars are alright. Their designs are simplistic but it's consistent with what I expect from Studio Ghibli.

2. Sidequests are copypasted over and over, and the majority of them require you to take heart give heart, which is basically moving to point A, pressing X a few times, going to point B, and pressing X a few times again. The rest is just fetch quests, beat 5 monsters, or capture some monsters. By the third sidequest I was just reading what to do in the recap and mashing X to go through the pointless, overwritten conversation as they were completely uninteresting.

Copypasta sidequests are par for the course for RPGs. I can't think of much of any sidequest that didn't involve fetching an item (or multiple items) or finding and killing a monster in any JRPG I've ever played. Well there are minigames, like the card game in FFVIII or the Gold Saucer games in FFVII. Still, fetch quests and monster hunts are the norm.

3. Cities are basically glorified corridors like in FFXIII. You can't explore any building except the stores and the one required by the story, and there's nothing to do in them other than talking to NPCs which are completely static and never have anything useful to say.

I actually like this. I hate getting lost in a city or having to spend an hour making sure I've talked to every person.

4. Recruiting familiars is 100% chance based, it's not skill based or anything, so getting them is just mindless grind and getting lucky.

100% agreement on this one. I gave up trying to catch monsters for that one guy for this very reason. Needlessly tedious.

5. The AI is completely useless and dumb, and the different strategies you can select do nothing at all. Esther will always attack the enemy with her crappy harp doing 1dmg and getting killed instead of keeping her distance to heal when needed, for example.

YES, this is the biggest issue in the game by far. I set Esther to "Keep Us Healthy" and somehow she's used up all her magic within 3 battles. I can't count the number of times she's buffed us at the end of a fight. She's basically useless after 2 minutes in a boss fight. And bringing out that damn harp when she has perfectly good fighters and tanks to send out is the worst. This game badly needed a more sophisticated AI implementation.

The other big problem is defending. It's a pain in the ass to see a boss charging up a move only to get nailed before you can even get control of your familiar. Worse, sometimes when I play cautiously and I'm ready to defend a boss' attack the familiar will quit defending right before the move hits!

6. I like the music, although I'm hearing too much of the same tracks. Enough with that generic cave music already.

7. Agree about Motorville. It's a detour and usually brings the excitement to a halt.

8. I agree about the story not making much sense. I think something was lost in translation for some conversations.

9. Haven't gotten this far, so I can't say one way or the other.

10. I thought the queen in Perdida was brokenhearted because of Shadar. In fact, I thought Shadar was responsible for all of the brokenhearted people.

Even though I disagreed with many of your points, I still keep thinking about ditching the game. Most of the time I lose battles due to crappy AI and the wonky Defend command. The story is a bit incoherent and the characters are likable enough but not very interesting.
---
Warioware DIY code: 4899 0895 0467
Wii code: 2245 8165 3515 8399
#20TopdrunkeePosted 6/30/2014 12:51:53 PM
drclaeys posted...
Friends,

The sad fact is, most of these are true.

BUT, with that said, I still liked this game. Its overrated because there was nothing else at that time to play. so EVERYONE played this game. Because we are starving for rpgs.

so overrated yes, but mess no. Everything has flaws, and this was a first try. so I expected the next game to be much better.

Still an ok game. No a mess, but not perfect either. Thank you for sharing.

I was about to post the same exact thing you did, but I saw your post. A game that's highly rated due to the scarcity of games within the genre. Sure PS3 gets plenty of "jrpgs" but most of them are of the cheap nippon ichi variety rather than the oldschool style that most fans of the genre are accustomed to.

Nino is pretty decent for a console rpg, but there are much greater rpgs to play on the portables such as Ys Memories of Celceta or even Dragon Quest IX which I think was actually made by Level 5.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/BoozeAholic