The fight mechanics in this game are utter bulls***.

#1OzymandiasIVPosted 7/7/2014 9:32:40 PM(edited)
I love this game. Don't get me wrong. But I just need to vent. All games have faults, and one of the biggest with this game are the fight mechanics, and mostly because of the stupid animated attack sequences.

So, I'm in Chapter 7, fighting the first boss, King Tom. I'm on his second form. I'm not faring too badly, but Oliver needs healed, so I cast healing hand. After I cast healing hand, the boss casts his very strong animated attack. Guess which one makes it first? His does, and not only that, it cancels out my healing spell (at least it didn't consume the MP). So I go to use the spell again, but of course I have to wait a few seconds. Then I get to spell, cast it, and have to wait just long enough for him to use some other attack on me that kills me before I can cast the damn spell.

So I switch to another character, prep a phoenix whatever-you-call-it, and toss it. And while I'm waiting for the damn animation, the does his powerful attack again, and I can't even move the selector to defend because the option isn't up yet because the phoenix is still going. I can hit square for all-out defense, but that only helps the other character still alive and does nothing for me.

Another thing I hate is that you can select for a character to attack, and they spend the entire attack time trying to get into range of the enemy. Not a problem for most common enemies, but I get right up next to some of the bigger boss battles, select attack, and then the familiar runs around trying to get into an opening to hit.

Lastly, and this one is true for too many games, I hate it when the boss sends you flying, and you have to sit there and wait for you character to decide to get up off his ass and fight again, and, usually, by the time that happens, the boss has initiated another attack, sometimes the same one that sends you sprawling again anyway.

Whatever, I finished the boss the first time, but these battle mechanics are f***ing cheap and are really making me pissed with the game.
---
Yes, I'm probably joking, teasing, or being sarcastic.
#2drclaeysPosted 7/8/2014 9:28:12 AM
Friends,

I also found a wide distance between normal fights, and boss fights. I sounds like you are doing the right thing, and you know alot about the game.

I play on easy. Yep, my ego can take that. That takes some of the edge off. I also grind and build up my Fams. Feed them, and get them tougher. To make money for this, I also go back to grinding. Try to go back and do all the side quests you might have missed.

With just 2 levels, you might find a cheap boss, is now do-able.

Good luck.
---
Dr. Darrell of Michigan
Transportation funding bill, no progress, Immigration bill, no progress by Republicans. Democrats try to get something done, sue them.
#3AlltraPosted 7/8/2014 9:39:26 AM
That's not really cheap, your issue is your tactics. All the bosses in this game have set attack patterns and timing to their attacks. Play a bit more defensively and learn the pattern, and then you'll never have any of those issues again.

It would smart to realize you have more than one playable character too. Utilize that fact if you get stunned so you don't get stun locked.

Why you're trying to melee a boss is beyond me. That's about the worst tactic you could employ during a boss, most of them will curbstomp you for your effort. Not to mention that you have vastly superior options that are far less dangerous and infinitely more effective.

All I see here is a bunch of whining about how badly you suck at playing this game.
---
"Cute" is a kiddy euphemism for "Sexy".
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.
#4OzymandiasIV(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2014 3:49:43 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5OzymandiasIV(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2014 4:39:19 PM(edited)
drclaeys posted...
I also grind and build up my Fams. Feed them, and get them tougher. To make money for this, I also go back to grinding. Try to go back and do all the side quests you might have missed.

With just 2 levels, you might find a cheap boss, is now do-able.

I didn't go into how I've played the game, because how I've played the game has no bearing on the poor battle system. Most of my familiars are in the 60+ range in terms of level, on the final form. My main characters are upper 60s as well (though I think maybe I bumped them all past 70 now). I've finished every single side quest.

It's not an issue of not being able to beat the boss. As I said, I beat him on the first try. The boss himself isn't cheap, it's the mechanics of the system as a whole that I take issue with.

Alltra posted...
That's not really cheap, your issue is your tactics [. . .]

It would smart to realize you have more than one playable character too [. . .]

Why you're trying to melee a boss is beyond me [. . .]

All I see here is a bunch of whining about how badly you suck at playing this game.

Do you know how to read?

1. I didn't go into my battle tactics because the issue isn't with tactics. The issue is an inherently poor battle system. Do you think it's fair that you can issue a command before the boss even initiates an attack, still manage to pull off the attack first, and then completely cancel your command and make you wait to reissue a command as though you had already used it?

You say I suck at the game, but how many times do you have to fight a boss to figure out that precise moment when to issue an attack before he issues his and still pull it off first?

2. I do know that I have other characters. Thank you. I even said quite explicitly that I switched to another character at one point. I didn't give you a play-by-play of the entire battle. In my given example, none of them have a healing spell as awesome as Oliver's, which is what I was trying to use at the time, and waiting to be able to use his spell again is faster and does more than switching to another character and using an inferior healing spell. But it's still cheap that I initiated it before the boss even initiated his attack and still had it canceled because of a stupid attack animation.

3. Most RPGs of this type allow for all kinds of play styles. I do use a lot of melee. However, once again, I didn't go into my own battle tactics because that's not the issue. I used plenty of magic in addition to melee. I pretty much used magic exclusively against the second Porco. That doesn't make the battle mechanics any less terrible.

This is not an issue of me being terrible at the game. I've defeated all but maybe 2 bosses on the first try (and got them on the second without having to go grind somewhere) and have had no problems with the side quest fights. I am not having trouble playing or advancing through this game. I don't suck at it. I'm venting because the battle mechanics frustrate me.
---
#6AlltraPosted 7/8/2014 10:41:33 PM
Yes, it's fair, because the boss ALWAYS gives you a warning before it's going to use it. Not only that, but like I said, they all have a set pattern of attack, so you can anticipate it ahead of time. If it was something you got no warning for, that happened at random, and instantaneously, THEN I'd consider it cheap.

Not having your party setup correctly, I.E. only having one good healing spell, is a TACTICAL issue, your fault too I might add. I already addressed the other issue with the CS specials, they take priority over everything else, which is why you dodge or defend when they come.

Stop fighting the system, and instead work within it, and you will be able to fight however you want to.
---
#7OzymandiasIV(Topic Creator)Posted 7/8/2014 10:50:24 PM(edited)
Alltra posted...
Stop fighting the system, and instead work within it, and you will be able to fight however you want to.

I do that already. I just beat all the final bosses without losing a single character at any point (and without wasting hours upon hours grinding for levels).

Seriously, how the hell do you learn his pattern well enough that you know precisely when he's going to do an attack before he does it, and input your command with enough time that he won't be able to put his in and have it take effect beforehand?

And Oliver's spell isn't the only one I have, once again. It was the best, because it's the only one that does full heal (I was saving my items at the time). It's not a matter of having only one healer, because Esther usually takes care of keeping the party healed. But this is a non-sequitur because it doesn't change the thing I'm talking about. I could be using *anyone* to cast a healing spell, and it'd still get interrupted and canceled out.

Alltra posted...

This doesn't make sense... you assume I'm fighting in a way I'm not, and then you tell me that if I just fight within the parameters of the game, I can fight however I want... except that way you assumed I was fighting, since you just told me to change how I fight. You contradicted yourself.
---
#8turbanmythPosted 7/9/2014 6:28:54 AM
Try playing on Game Mode on your TV it might decrease the lag, if there's any, I'm guessing there is with how the graphics are made on this game. But I agree with Alltra, the bosses do give you the warning, you just have to use the L1 button to pause the game then input Evade or Defend then trigger All-out-Defend.
---
Currently playing FFT, FFX, CoL and D3. Currently watching 24 and Cosmos.
#9AlltraPosted 7/9/2014 10:56:44 AM
First, switching characters was in direct response to your comment about getting knocked down by attacks and not being able to act again because the enemy knocked you down again right after that. The game has an Agro System, enemies home in on certain characters under certain conditions, normally whoever is dealing the most damage or when somebody heals a lot. So in that instance switching to another character would work great, since you wouldn't be in control of the stun locked character and could take actions.

...and I never said you couldn't melee. I said you shouldn't because you have better tactics available. If you want to do it, there are good setups that mitigate the risks in doing so, but they're not optimal, and make things harder than they need to be.

One other thing of note as well. You can move around the battlefield freely. Most attacks are avoidable by moving around.

Another thing of note, is that you can swap to other Familiars to refresh commands like Defend or Evade. Obviously not while you're in the middle of another action.

Learning enemy patterns is easy. Just sit back and play defensively until you see a pattern. Most of them are pretty simple. Then it's just a matter of observing the timing between moves, and taking actions accordingly. You do that, and you'll never, or extremely rarely ever, run into those issues.
---