The waterwheel in Ico

#1SoratamiPosted 10/5/2011 11:29:04 AM
The one in the waterfall section, did anyone else have trouble with it?

I swear it's the most frustrating platform section I have ever played, it took tens of tries to get it right ~_~
---
PSN: ilikethispart
#2DruffPosted 10/5/2011 11:46:39 AM
Yeah it was a pisser. For me the key was not waiting and hesitating to confirm whether or not I succeeded in making the jump onto the wheel and was firmly standing on it before making the second jump. Rather, just assume the first jump was successful and try the second jump.
---
Caution - You are approaching the periphery shield of Vortex Four
#3Soratami(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2011 11:55:37 AM
I always ended up either bumping into the wheel or falling before I could do the second jump. When I did do the second jump I always ended up hitting the wall to the side of the ledge instead <_<

And the first time I actually grabbed the ledge, Ico just dropped off of it, for no good reason. It was a total throw-controller-at-the-wall moment (not that I do that, but still).
---
PSN: ilikethispart
#4Zelda QuaPosted 10/5/2011 2:33:44 PM
Was this part even in the original NA release of the game? I don't remember this annoying part at all.
---
Playstation Network ID: Gryan
Xbox Live Gamertag: Bey0nceKn0wles
#5DruffPosted 10/5/2011 2:54:18 PM
Correct, the water wheel was changed a bit after Ico was released in the US.
---
Caution - You are approaching the periphery shield of Vortex Four
#6ScratchmyearsPosted 10/5/2011 3:03:27 PM(edited)
The original NA version there was no waterwheel. You simply jumped over the channel and climbed the ladder to the valve. The ladder is broken now and the waterwheel was added.

To make the timing easier jump to the waterwheel when it's highest blade is perfectly horizontal to Ico. Climb immediately up onto it and jump for the ledge. DO NOT RUN-JUMP.
Practice jumping forward from a still position before attempting this because if you take even a single step forward you will run right off the blade of the waterwheel.

Once you get the standing-forward-jump down the waterwheel becomes a piece of cake. I can do it every time without fail now.
#7revolverjgwPosted 10/5/2011 3:55:44 PM
It gave me a hard time. What I did was jump onto the wheel as early as possible (obviously) to maximize what little time I had on top of it. Then as soon as I shimmied up, I tapped left, then simultaneously tapped up and pressed jump. Very aggravating doing trial-and-error getting the timing down.
---
PSN- revolverjgw
XBL- revolverjgw666
#8MantisoPosted 10/6/2011 7:22:32 AM
I had trouble with this bit too. What I ended up doing was as soon as I was on the wheel and stood up, I'd take a split second to move away from the edge and then take a quick step and jump forward. If that makes sense.
---
"3rd time watching you're thinking, how does he get his jumper on?" - Karl Pilkington on The Elephant Man
PSN ID: SolidKev
#9spaceboy21Posted 10/6/2011 7:25:42 AM
it was pretty rough, in the end after I made the first jump and shimmied to the end of the arm, I was trying to climb up and stand on the platform, when ICO thankfully just jumped backwards from his hanging position to the top of the tower.
#10benlydPosted 10/6/2011 11:15:55 AM
Soratami posted...

And the first time I actually grabbed the ledge, Ico just dropped off of it, for no good reason. It was a total throw-controller-at-the-wall moment (not that I do that, but still).

The same thing happened to me. xD
Yorda finally decided to give me a hint and pointed to the bar and yelled for several minutes and I'm like, "I know what the goal is, shut up, Yorda.." :p
---
dunn yeww thnk eye shuld git a &&Dreamcast lol
ppl whoo seigh yushh: 3 ppl whoo seigh neww: 0