Should I play ICO first before Shadow of the Colossus?

#1DiaperDandeePosted 10/8/2011 3:56:18 PM
I really want to just jump into SOTC but I don't want to miss important parts from ICO; so, storywise is it alright to just jump into SOTC and then go to ICO?

No spoilers please
---
Playing: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
#2RocketJessPosted 10/8/2011 4:06:32 PM
It's better to play ICO first, though not crucial. Since it was released first, Shadow refers back to it, subtly, but ICO is stand-alone. Also it's easier to get used to ICO's unusual control scheme (using Triangle as the jump button) before moving on to Shadow, which has the same plus a manual grip button. (Then again, I think you can customise the controls now...)
---
RocketJess, blasting off again!
http://rocketjess.deviantart.com/art/ICO-Cosplay-You-Were-There-195335164
#3MidgardDragon99Posted 10/8/2011 4:23:12 PM
I'd highly recommend Ico first, both to get used to the controls, and because it's slower-paced and you might not want to jump into it after the "epic" parts of Shadow.
#4Cy-coPosted 10/8/2011 4:58:55 PM
Shadow of the Colossus takes place before Ico.

Story-wise it might make more sense to start with SotC..but it doesn't really matter.

I'd just go for whatever you're more in the mood to play.

SotC - Travel around on a horse and slay giant creatures.

ICO - Guide a girl around solving puzzles as you try to escape from a castle.
#5Mr_Big_BossPosted 10/8/2011 5:27:32 PM
if you plan on getting trophies too, then start with Ico, Colossus will take you much longer to get all trophies.
---
the end of one nightmare, prelude to the another...
#6BlueSkies7776Posted 10/8/2011 6:05:54 PM
It does not matter at all which you play first. And this is coming from someone who is really anal about playing games and watching games in the correct order.
---
Never say can't.
#7DiaperDandee(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2011 7:25:45 PM
I started with SOTC since there isn't much of a continuing story and I'm sure I'll enjoy ICO afterwards as I can enjoy things on their own merits.
---
Playing: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
#8baldandblindPosted 10/9/2011 5:38:13 AM
Play Ico first and Agro gets a nice "Ico" I marking instead of his white diamond marking. Looks a lot better in my opinion, but other than that it probably doesn't matter too much which game you play first, though I agree with others saying it'll help you get used to the control scheme.
---
http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/FurryFreak.png
#9KK_WanderPosted 10/9/2011 3:10:08 PM
I don't really think it'll make that much of a difference either way. I could see wanting to go Ico THEN SotC as that's the order the games were made in and you can see a little bit of a technical progression that way. Plus SotC is, in my opinion, the more fun and exciting game.

However, if my assumptions about the story are correct, then the events of Shadow most likely take place hundreds, if not thousands of years before those of Ico (don't worry, that's not really a spoiler). There is a connection between the two, but not what I would call a direct connection. I myself happened to play Shadow before Ico back in the ps2 days and I wouldn't think anything was lost or gained by doing so.

Bottom line, they're both fantastic games and I think you'll love them no matter how you play them. Enjoy :)
---
3DS friend code: 2105-8647-3789
Xbox Live and PSN- Judge Judd
#10oasisbeyondPosted 10/9/2011 11:30:09 PM
sotc seems like a prequel to ico but it's not... But my cousin enjoyed in that order, considering it feels like a prequel heh.