Like this, but better

#1Reinez0001Posted 2/1/2013 7:02:25 AM
Is there any console games I could get that are like this - but better? Wanted to ask this cuz I am fairly new to the genre.
#2ZoneofEnderzPosted 2/1/2013 3:11:54 PM
I hear xcom enemy unknown is kinda like this, download the demo and see
#3PurpleRockerPosted 2/1/2013 10:38:07 PM
XCOM

But the best SRPG of all time is Final Fantasy Tactics. ;)
---
http://i.imgur.com/ugyXx.png - By OhHiRenan
#4DxZ99Posted 2/1/2013 11:26:32 PM
Theres Record of Agarest War and Record of Agarest War:Zero.
They're both JRPGs, and are also grid based. Close enough tho.
#5OraclefoxPosted 2/2/2013 12:22:58 PM
None of those games are truly like this (I think). That doesn't mean that you won't enjoy them--they're just vastly different. I vaguely remember hearing of a shining force game that had this similar radial attack and movement system. I think it was shining feather, but that encroaches closer on the rpg territory than this game.

There are not too many games that share the aspects of this one. Few units with limited abilities is something expected more in the strategy vein of things. Leveling goes towards the rpg side of things, but it's so insignificant in this game that I couldn't recommend an rpg for "games similar to this."

If you wanna see more of the turn based strategy genre, you're gonna be stuck to basically a few things.

Standard Strategy--square-grid like advance wars or hexagonal like almost every other one (civilization to name a popular one).

JSrpgs--Fire emblem, shining force etc. Units level but there isn't too much customization.

JTrpgs--FFT, Tactics ogre, etc. Heavy focus on classes, skills, customization, story, etc. Less tactical focus--item and class management are the most important factors.

WTrpgs--Xcom, Jagged alliance, etc. Less focus on story. Classes and skills exist but tend to be a bit more grounded in reality and structured; and there's more of a focus on tactics. Sometimes base simulation is involved.
---
PSN: CLeJack
#6The DeadpoolPosted 2/6/2013 11:14:53 AM
PurpleRocker posted...
XCOM

Tactics Ogre would like to have a word with you...
---
We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons.
#7SmackemsPosted 2/12/2013 12:53:11 AM
The Deadpool posted...
PurpleRocker posted...
XCOM

Tactics Ogre would like to have a word with you...

No, it wouldn't, although that game is also one of the best.

The closest I can remember to the movement is Arc the Lad on ps2. But XCOM: Enemy Unkown is the best you will get for this generation. Civilization Revolution is also great, but if you have a PC that is capable then the main Civ games would be better. If you have a PS3, then check out Final Fantasy Tactics on PSN.
---
Common sense is the most uncommon thing in the world-some dude.
#8The DeadpoolPosted 2/26/2013 8:51:31 AM
Tactics Ogre has bigger battles, stronger tactical focus and a more involving class system.

Final Fantasy Tactics has... shinier spells?

It's not a bad game, it's just outshined by its parent...
---
We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons.