Starting the first Rayman for PS1

#1Hotel_SecurityPosted 3/5/2012 11:01:17 AM
I saw previews and such for this game and thought it looked sweet. But I hate to just plow into the 5th or 6th game of a series (or whatever this one is) without playing the first few. So I got the first game for the PS1. I was going to post this over there but it's quite dead but there's plenty of Rayman folks here. Any tips of that one? I heard it's quite a challenge which is great for me.

Also, if I like that one, what are good sequels to get? Any sequels that should be avoided?
#2Wozman23Posted 3/5/2012 1:55:30 PM
After loving Origins, I plan on picking up the first three on PSN sometime soon. I know I played some of them, but I can't remember if I played them all.

Rayman 3 is being rereleased with an HD upgrade on March 21st. A port of 2 is also available on the 3DS. I was hoping March's PS+ would include free downloads for the first two, but today's announcement shows that's not the case. I'll probably off on a purchase until April in hopes there's still a slim chance they could be SP+ content.

After Origins, I did a bit of studying on the Rayman franchise, Michel Ancel, and Ubisoft Montpellier. After the original, the games transitioned to 3D. Michel Ancel was not directly involved with 3. I'd pay no attention to the Rabbids games on the Wii. The first Rabbids game, tentatively titled Rayman 4, was supposed to be a platformer. Development shifted to mini-games and Ancel left.

I don't know if you've ever played Beyond Good & Evil, but an HD version of it is available. It's another stellar game from the team and still holds up well. A small team is working on a sequel, although Ancel has said the follow-up has some very ambitious ideas and doesn't think a releases would be feasible on current consoles.
---
This signature will not change until I change it. 7/03/09
#3Hotel_Security(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2012 2:12:33 PM
Rayman 3 is being rereleased with an HD upgrade on March 21st. A port of 2 is also available on the 3DS.

Ah, if possible. I’d like to just get the originals. They’re usually cheaper. The PS1 Rayman copy I have now I got for like $10 off Amazon. I did read that the PS2 version of Rayman 2 was missing some levels so maybe I’ll get the PSN version of that…does that have the levels that were taken out?

After Origins, I did a bit of studying on the Rayman franchise, Michel Ancel, and Ubisoft Montpellier. After the original, the games transitioned to 3D. Michel Ancel was not directly involved with 3.

Yeah, I read a number of articles on Rayman Origins (which got me interested in the series) as well as a lifeline article on Ubisoft themselves…lots of interesting stuff there. And no Ancel is okay…I’ve seen some solid reviews for Part 3 as well. Also, there’s a side-scrolled called Hoodlum something for the GBA. Any good? Some of the reviews of Part 2 are very positive.

I'd pay no attention to the Rabbids games on the Wii.

Yeah, those games were a bore. I played the first at a friend’s house and everyone got bored with those games after a half hour. I don’t even know what Rayman had to do with it.

I don't know if you've ever played Beyond Good & Evil, but an HD version of it is available. It's another stellar game from the team and still holds up well. A small team is working on a sequel, although Ancel has said the follow-up has some very ambitious ideas and doesn't think a releases would be feasible on current consoles.

I got the original already and have played it a few times. A pretty solid little game with lots of charm. I saw the little teaser movie they put out about the possible sequel but that seems to have screeched to a halt lately…
#4Hotel_Security(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2012 7:20:11 PM
Well so much for Rayman 1. I really don't enjoy it at all. And it's not the difficulty...I've played plenty of difficult games and had my butt kicked all over the place...it's just that it's pretty boring. The levels seem far too long and it just feels like a chore to get anywhere. Plus the controls are a bit too floaty and half the reason I get hit seems it's because the punch move sucks. And the plot is basically nonexistent so if there's some great humor in later titles, it's missing from Rayman 1.

If Origins is anything like this I'm not sure I'm interested. Are the 3D ones (part 2 & 3) ones any better?
#5Hotel_Security(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2012 9:38:40 PM
This doesn't mean I'm stopping the game. I'm too damn stubborn to quit it. I just may use one of the continue codes to keep it bareable.
#6Hotel_Security(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2012 10:27:07 PM
Ya, looks like I needed a break...or maybe just one level in particular was kicking my behind. Glad I didn't stop as the game is getting better. Got through the second "world" and beat up Mr. Sax. Doing well with getting all the cages and such. Things are getting more creative with the new powers so I like that part of it. Plus the hover function makes platforming much more bareable.
#7Hotel_Security(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2012 9:48:52 PM
Plowed through the Mr. Stone world. Not quick as tough as the Mr. Sax Music World. Plus it was easier to find the cages in that one too. Got the dash move now I could go back and get all the cages I missed before. Have them all in all stages so far. Will start the Eraser world next.
#8Spiderman 2099Posted 3/9/2012 5:10:43 AM
I never beat Mr. Dark, but I played the crap out out of that game. Quite fun, but, yeah, a little more unforgiving. I seem to recall continues, whereas this game you have unlimited lives per segment.
---
R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg, 2/24/68-3/30/05
Andy Richter gave me HL2 for free! What a badass.
#9Hotel_Security(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2012 8:47:53 PM
Just beat the game tonight. Pretty brutal at times. I saw a lot of complaints on the Eraser World but it wasn't quite that tough. Had a tough time trying to figure out Space Mama but once I figured out the pattern with her multiple stages, I could do it pretty well.

Next level was Mr. Scops level. The level itself was not too tough but Scops himself was brutal. Plowed through a LOT of lives in trying to figure how to get his shots to come back to hit him without getting hit myself. Settled on starting close to Scops, running back then jumping over it once, then jumping again as it came back to hit Scops. Even worse, once he's down to 1 life, he moves in close which makes it impossible to avoid the shot so I had to get to that part with at least two pellets of life left which meant only one hit allowed for most of the fight. Later on I read you can punch at him and his shots will follow the punch itself...well then...

Mr. Dark's level was maybe more difficult than the fight. Especially the chase part with Evil Rayman chasing you and then the super-annoying part with the controls reversed which could have been worse than it was.

For all three stages of the Mr. Dark battle there was a definite pattern that could be exploited. Just jump and punch against the first part. For the second, I stayed near the middle of the floor and could manipulate the one of the left to always shoot the one on the right by standing then ducking real quick....didn't even have to move. The last stage was easy. Run under him and then punch the eyes. When I beat these three I thought there's be a battle against Mr. Dark himself but then that was it. The ending was pretty weak.

Overall I enjoyed the challenge but the game was maybe an average platformer at best. I don't know how I would have done it with only five continues though.

Not sure if we'll go for Rayman 2 though most folks here seem to like it.
#10Hotel_Security(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2012 10:00:42 PM(edited)
Since you all read this thread so much, I'll probably type about me hitting up Rayman 2. It was nice to see it was for N64 since the cartridge games are quite easy to obtain via "alternative" means. Will be firing that game up pretty soon.