Games like Tactics Ogre

#1Shinigami1505Posted 8/7/2011 8:24:29 AM
Hi, Just passing by and leaving some games that looks like Tactics Ogre.....Vandal Hearts, Vandal Hearts 2, Katia, Brigandine (in my opinion the best there is of the genre together with FFT) they are PS1 games.In PS2 there is Stella Deus, Makai Kingdom, Disgaea 1 and 2,Eternal Poison, Growlanser 2 and 3 did i spell it right?

That is it but feel free to add some more ok?
---
Playing:FFT (psp),KoF 2002 UM(ps2),Tactics Ogre(psp),Valkyrie Profile Silmeria PS2
#2jaysindaPosted 8/7/2011 9:08:21 AM

A list Tactics Ogre like games for the PSP would be very much appreciated.

I know about FFT, Jean D'arc and disgaea.. but thats it. Havent tried the last two though. FFT i played on the PS1 before.

#3Sumo_ThugPosted 8/7/2011 3:46:24 PM
Front Mission 1 (SNES, NDS)
Brigandine (PSONE)
Live-a-Live (SNES)
Suikoden Tactics (PS2)
Onimusha Tactics (GBA)
Knight of Lodis (GBA)
Super Robot Wars Series
Namco X Capcom (PS2)
Arc the Lad 1 & 2 (PSONE)
---
Zangief for SF x Tekken, make it happen!
#4_chaotikz_Posted 8/7/2011 3:52:56 PM
Not a complete list ( by far ), but it's good enough ... the screenshots are a plus:

http://www.listal.com/list/rpg-world-tactical-rpg
#5AlmasNo1FanPosted 8/7/2011 4:07:15 PM
shining force
---
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab307/yeahthatboy/gamefaqsqueens.png
By: ilikeikeilikeik
#6Yamaneko22Posted 8/7/2011 7:07:29 PM
Dragon Shadow Spell

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/dragonshadowspell/index.html

Unfortunately not available in english:(
---
We embrace each other through our swords
#7jaysindaPosted 8/7/2011 8:36:47 PM

Yamaneko22 posted...
Dragon Shadow Spell

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/dragonshadowspell/index.html

Unfortunately not available in english:(
---
We embrace each other through our swords

Nice pics for the game.. we should hope for it's english release! :)

#8HMandACFanPosted 8/7/2011 11:54:23 PM
This is just a list of games I've played that I can think of off the top of my head. It's not all-inclusive or anything but feel free to add 'em to any list you make.

Games very much like TO:LuCT

Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis (GBA)
Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1 and PSP)
Jeanne d'Arc (PSP)
Stella Deus (PS2)
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GC)
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii)
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (GBA)
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (DS)
Vandal Hearts (PS1)
Vandal Hearts 2 (PS1)
Vandal Hearts 3 (Xbox Live)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 (DS)
Onimusha Tactics (GBA)
Suikoden Tactics (PS2)
Yu Yu Hakusho - Ghost Files: Tournament Tactics (GBA)

These games are all typical "tactics" games that don't break the mold a whole lot. LuCT was the first tactics game every made, and *I think* KoL and FFT were 2nd and 3rd, but went their seperate ways a little bit. The remake of LuCT brings the diverging ways back together a lot. Every other game on this list pretty much falls into the pattern of one or the other. So when I say they don't "break the mold", it was the mold set by those 3 pioneer games. For anyone that likes LuCT, I would recomend at least looking into any of these games.

Games a little like TO:LuCT

Group A:
Brigandine (PS1)
Brigandine: GE (PS1, Japanese only)
Wild ARMs XF (PSP)

Group B:
Disgaea 1 (PS1 and PSP)
Disgaea 2 (PS2)
La Pucelle Tactics (PS2)

Group C:
Advance Wars (GBA)
Advance Wars: Dual Strike (DS)
(Really all the other AW games, although I haven't played them personaly)

Group D:
Phantasy Star Online Episode 3 (GC)
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Calibur (N64)

These games all either broke the mold a little bit, or entirely different but on my list anyway (Group D). As long as you like LuCT a lot, these games are also worth looking into.

Group A isn't a whole lot different than LuCT in concept, although battles take place on a hexagonal grid rather than squares. This adds a lot of depth and strategy that squares can't give, but at the same time makes the battlefields look cluttered or distorted and may also possibly confuse you. Brigandine also has a Risk-style gameplay where you must "take over the world", and there are no "storyline battles".\

Group B has an odd component that I didn't like at all. First of all, you can enhance items in weird and unpreditable ways. It's really hard to explain. On top of that, you can become way overleveled way too easily. And lastly, you can "restart" levels just at any random time you want. They are very weird games and can be kind of fun as long as you don't let their weirdness disturb you much. They are just TOO open. While letting you do what you want on a video game can sometimes be a good thing, they just go overboard.

Group C doesn't really have units that you upgrade. Each battle it gives you set units to start with, you can get set units throughout the battle, and just everything is "set". It adds difficulty, but it's not "fixable". I like having units that you upgrade throughout the course of a game.

Group D are a lot different, but I put 'em in there anyway. PSO3 is a card game, that takes place on a square grid. About the only thing the same is the square grid. You don't "upgrade" units or anything because they're cards, but it's still fun nonetheless. You DO upgrade your deck with new cards, I suppose. OB64 is only like it since it's an OB game. It has a lot of the same classes, items, sprites, etc., but doesn't take place on a grid of any kind. You also can't control your units, which is sort of a bummer.
---
Currently playing: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP), Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Calibur (N64)
#9TrotmeisterPosted 8/8/2011 5:45:11 AM
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtyyOezcUhrddGpZWmwwcmkzcDBvdVJoNjFReDlteHc
#10HenrySpencer10Posted 8/12/2011 1:31:53 PM
^Even though it isn't an RPG, the Metal Gear AC!D series sorta fits in well here too, imo. Plus, it has character design/artwork by Tsubasa Masao, so fans of this game may find that interesting.