Are Berserkers and Valkyries worth raising?

#1Progamer2003Posted 5/12/2012 2:47:08 AM
I'm trying not to neglect Xapan and Ravness, but their base classes have been underwhelming so far. Xapan's RT is high with axes (over 100 with 2H axes) and he can't compete with my dual wielders' damage at all without Sanguine Assault. However, with it being a 50TP skill, I can't have it up every turn.

As for Ravness, I like her low RT, but I can't find a good way to make her do decent damage. Even with an Instill element spell, her damage is far from one or even two rounding like my dual wielders and Archers.

When and how can I expect these two classes to become decent?
---
The sword from your heart is the mightiest weapon of all. Believe in it, and it shall defeat your greatest enemies.
#2pamboysPosted 5/12/2012 3:35:11 AM
zerkers are decent early game, they can dish out a good amount of damage but end-game they tend to be mediocre, post-game if you like 'em use 'em.

valkyrie dont shine very much early game aside from being a good support character but in post-game and a good amount of time investing and building up their augments will give you one monster character that spams Summon spells each turn for fun.
#3Progamer2003(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2012 4:06:06 AM
So I need summon spells to make Valkyries good? Does that mean I shouldn't expect any decent damage from just instill element physical attacks?
---
The sword from your heart is the mightiest weapon of all. Believe in it, and it shall defeat your greatest enemies.
#4DragoVianLord9Posted 5/12/2012 4:13:30 AM
I never use a zerker, but for valk, early-mid game, they can be a decent support with divine magic.
---
If I dont return in 5 minute... Just wait longer -
#5Progamer2003(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2012 5:36:59 AM
Is Ravness fine with a spear? Should I be raising her magic stats, and if so, how do I do that when she can't equip cudgels or robes as a Valkyrie?
---
#6rjrffspotPosted 5/12/2012 3:21:24 PM
Valks make great casters late in the game once they get summons they pretty much own.
I currently am using a 12 Valk team while i'm running through the temples.

I give my valks swords and bows. You need elemental weapons in order to do any real damage with them, such as Brynhilder.
To get your magic up you'll want to level them as other caster classes, magic works better once you have good equips for there element. There a very equipment based class but among the best classes.

I never use Zerkers cause I prefer duel wielding with melee classes.
#7darkflagrancePosted 5/12/2012 5:58:48 PM
Valkyries only do good damage with a dedicated build. I needed to give my Valkyrie Olivya a Caldia, Rozenzi Shield, full Baldr armor, and an Int+1 ring to do 100+ damage with Spirit Surge (even then I needed Spellcraft IV and may have used some tarot cards as well). But dedicated magic valkyries do excellently with their summons.

Coincidentally, Ogre Battle Valkyries were the same way. Raise them physical and they're mediocre. But convert them from Priests and they do great damage with their spells.
---
[This signature has been deleted due to the request of God.]
#8Progamer2003(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2012 6:40:10 PM
How do you raise them as another class? Job levels and stat increases from those levels are shared by the job, not by the character aren't they? I thought the only way to increase a character's base stats was through cards.
---
#9almostexactlyPosted 5/12/2012 6:47:05 PM
Raising them as a different class is more to get skill points (and maybe develop shared skills like weapon or element augments).

Valkyries didn't get good for me until late late game (and you don't get summon magic until late game anyway). Otherwise, I guess they hover somewhere around the not terrible tier. With Divine Magic, they're pretty helpful since they can heal and cast Boon of Swiftness, while being more durable then Clerics but more mobile then Knights.

Raising Valkyries to be magic users, although they can't wear cudgels or robes, there are rare weapons, armor, and accessories that boost magic skills. Definitely not stuff you can just buy at the store though.
#10darkflagrancePosted 5/12/2012 7:23:03 PM
One thing I would not recommend is a hybrid Valkyrie. They NEED the equipment focused on magic to be good (unless you already grinded them to 100 in all stats or something).

As for Berserkers, they get really good with Sanguine Assault. When you get this move, stick to it. Otherwise, as squishy melee they're outdone by Rogues and Ninjas; their main advantages are the use of hammers and the area of effect melee.
---
[This signature has been deleted due to the request of God.]