The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Ranged characters: Shield vs lobber?

#1VilacardPosted 6/23/2012 8:18:10 AM
Particularly for mages/cleric. Archers too if they get anymore 1h bows.

I'm still pretty early on, just beat Qadriga Fortress (screw that fight x_x). I think I'm planning to grab Field Alchemy on all my characters, and there have already been a few times a thrown item would have been nice. On the other hand, my casters are pretty squishy.

Also, do shields have an actual block stat or are they just another piece of armor with additional stats/defense?
---
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/turalyon/Einzbern/simple
#2ShadyFaePosted 6/23/2012 10:09:51 AM
Vilacard posted...
Particularly for mages/cleric. Archers too if they get anymore 1h bows.

I'm still pretty early on, just beat Qadriga Fortress (screw that fight x_x). I think I'm planning to grab Field Alchemy on all my characters, and there have already been a few times a thrown item would have been nice. On the other hand, my casters are pretty squishy.

Also, do shields have an actual block stat or are they just another piece of armor with additional stats/defense?

I never used shields on my casters for defensive purposes. They survived fine with proper positioning in battle and the occasional heal spell or heal item. The extra spellcasting stats are what matter. If you need more survivability look to defensive skills of which many options are provided.

I never used lobbers on my casters early game for much the same reason. Heal spells and alchemy/item usage suffices just fine and the spellcasting stats on proper weapons are far more valuable.

Later in the game and post game challenges healing spells fall into the realm of barely useful and the vast majority of your healing will come from alchemy items. This is where lobbers can shine 'if' you need them. I still found caster weapons superior to my playstyle as I give every single person field alchemy which allows them to heal themselves/each other just fine when it is needed.
#3Vilacard(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2012 10:17:07 AM
I'm using a 1h cudgel right now, which is why I ask. Do most of them end up being 2h? Or perhaps can I DW them? Otherwise it seems like a waste not to use a lobber or shield.
---
#4zoeilaPosted 6/23/2012 10:26:31 AM
i use lobbers on my clerics. pretty much the only time i use healing magic is when i have the the tp for mothers blessing or when theres height issues. its seriously pathetic how weak heals are :( im estimating heal 4 only heals 100 hp....mending seed heals 125.
---
currently playing:gungnir,phantasy star portable 2 infinity,super robot wars z2 saisei hen,tactics ogre luct,hexyz force,fate extra,
#5hinodePosted 6/23/2012 11:22:04 AM
Most cudgels are 1h, but don't bother dual-wielding - you'll only get the stat boosts from one of them. Later on in the game you should equip Baldur Shields (+1 if you don't find crafting excessively tedious) on all your mages for the Int boost, it'll last them all the way through the game and 6 weight isn't bad at all. For now, feel free to go with either a Buckler or a Lobber, neither will really make a big difference.

The vast majority of bows in this game are 2-handed, so don't except archers to have a hand slot open any time soon.
#6Grimoire_MPosted 6/23/2012 6:47:46 PM
All of my mages have been wearing bucklers from the get go. It helps a small degree if I need to be a little reckless with my positioning or the enemy is archer heavy. Once Baldur Shields open up I'll switch to those.

As for ranged characters, I'd still stick with a shield for the same reasons, unless they're Flyers. I like sending Canopus on his merry way to pick people off, so he tends to need healing more than anyone else. I might switch him to rune fencer and stick with Balder Weapons while opening up Lobbers/Divine Magic, actually.

I'm only on 3C right now, and pondering about my own setups too.
#7Vilacard(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2012 8:52:31 PM
@hinode
Are you sure they only get stats from 1? The INT from both of my cudgels show up on stats.
---
#8coineineaghPosted 6/23/2012 10:26:36 PM
No, you get 2x stat boosts from using 2 cudgels, which makes it stronger than cugdel&shield.
Shields are disappointing. They only make a significant difference in the early game. In the late game, you'd only equip one if you wanted its bonus effect, or if you like knocking units back.
Lobbers are essential in the early game, and can still help out on rescue missions. But the way I play, I rarely use consumables later on.
#9pamboysPosted 6/23/2012 10:54:12 PM(edited)
- for mages its either. double elemental staff or elemental staff + malitza's staff
- for clerics Lobber + shield is the best option since they dont have any offensive spells. apart from using spell scrolls. but i'd ditch the shield for a little speed boost.
but they can also go lobber + staff of purification for better usage of their exorcising ability.

Shield are basically dead weight. They are only used for hiding from Evil eye. the useless Stoneproof skill makes shields useless. And for an item to be more useless than another useless item or skill :P. Simsimi says: "I have no response"

but true enough Baldur shields are good replacement for when you dont have access to elemental staffs yet. but if youre gonna stick with them all the way. that's you.
---
Show your support of Golden Sun 4 to Camelot!
Sign the petition: http://ipetitions.com/petition/operation-sunrise/
#10coineineaghPosted 6/25/2012 8:11:54 AM
Quick overview of classes that can use:
Lobber +2: Archer, Berserker, Rogue, Beast Tamer, Ranger, Princess.
Lobber +1: all o/t above & Valkyrie
Lobber +0: all o/t above, + Cleric, Swordmaster, and every "knight"-related class except KC.
Knight, Terror Knight, Divine Knight, Paladin, White Knight.

Lord: unknown.