which is better: +1 Augment or +10 INT?

#1John_DakerPosted 9/18/2012 12:55:02 PM
My Lamia Matriarch is wearing a Wizard Hat+1 in one slot that I want to keep for the Mediate bonus. As she cannot wear Robes, my current options for her 2nd armor slot are:

- Vikrant Icecoat (+1 Augment Ice)
-or-
- Mage's Mitts (+10 INT) (I can't wrap my head around her wearing Trousers)

which would be better for her?
#2terran3999999Posted 9/18/2012 1:00:22 PM
Why not? Lamias might like to try something new once in a while.

I would like to say Augment +1 but I've seen a few others say that a huge Intelligence boost would help a lot more so I'm really not sure, sorry.
---
Katawa Shoujo: The visual novel that defies and kicks logic to the curb.
Official contender to fight for Lilly as waifu.
#3hinodePosted 9/18/2012 1:27:28 PM
It depends on your exact stats, but in my experience +10 Int is typically better in a case like this.

Here's an old thread by valkyriePROfail where he starts off intending to use elemental coats but ends up switching to Mage Trousers after some testing: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/999440-tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together/60076363
#4hauntbotPosted 9/18/2012 1:52:07 PM
Augments are better for hybrid characters. Matriarchs can use daggers and really be decent hybrids. If you dont take advantage of that then nothing really distinguishes them from other summoners. That said the int will make for a better pure caster.
---
HB: official trollschach of the relax boards
#5hauntbotPosted 9/18/2012 1:53:27 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6coineineaghPosted 9/18/2012 5:40:41 PM
John_Daker posted...
My Lamia Matriarch is wearing a Wizard Hat+1 in one slot that I want to keep for the Mediate bonus. As she cannot wear Robes, my current options for her 2nd armor slot are:

- Vikrant Icecoat (+1 Augment Ice)
-or-
- Mage's Mitts (+10 INT) (I can't wrap my head around her wearing Trousers)

which would be better for her?

From a pure casting perspective, Mage Trousers would be best. Even the single MIND point it has over the mitts is significant.

The effect of augments is in fact fairly weak, when compared to the power of INT & MIND.
#7beatumdownPosted 9/18/2012 9:42:05 PM
The other argument is that "Sorceror's Robe +1" yeild better elemental protection than the Elemental Robes and Coats as well as "INT".

I still went with the latter because the robes and coats have better physical defenses. Element proctection is easily remedied by "Spell Ward IV". With that on, rarely anything should hit you with magic. All casters can potentially get it and a few select melee.

With the exception of the "Holy Crown" for that +1 rank in "Augment Light" for "Cleric" and maybe the "Priest" class I have not seen anything better than the "Wizards Hat +1" for caster head gear. So that pretty much became standard issue.
---
{{If you "Act" up, then you must get "Jacked" up!}}
#8ElyonPosted 9/19/2012 3:05:40 AM(edited)
Augment is better - do the tests.

It's why you use Chokers over Intelligence rings.

And yeah, Wizard hat +1 is probably the best in the second slot for mages outside their specific elemental robe.
---
Cyril ~ I'm glad you know your place.
#9coineineaghPosted 9/19/2012 3:13:08 AM
Elyon posted...
Augment is better - do the tests.

It's why you use Chokers over Intelligence rings.

I thought it was pretty well established that there is something separate going on with Choker necklaces, because they giv like a 40% boost to elemental damage? That's a lot higher than other augment gear.

I heard it said that the item's elemental resistance bonus is being translated to extra damage, but that would also make other elemental gear with resistance bonuses get the same advantage.

All in all, I'd say Chokers are not a good example. Other +1 Augment items seem to offer a piddly damage boost in comparison to those necklaces. Extra caster stats are mostly better.
#10gemeni_anoPosted 9/19/2012 3:41:51 AM
For me,
Melee/Ranged
Augment weapon
Augment weapon/Shield/none
Augment Armor/armguards
Winged Boots
Augment choker

Pure caster
Elemental wand/cursed wand/book
Baldur Shield+1/None
Wizard Hat+1
Sorceress Robes+1/winged boots on special occasions
Augment choker
---
"The winds of Hades, colder than a blizzard in the midst of winter!" - Soul King Brook, OP 661