Stilll confused about how this game works...

#1jeof96Posted 10/2/2012 7:29:16 PM
So again, I started a new playthrough.
I started Denam as a Berserker.
I was debating with myself if I should make him a Rune Fencer or Berserker in the first place.

So early game, should I focus on Pure Melee for him, Or Should train his Augment Light?
---
Even though I can't Master it.
I can at LEAST do it.
#2beatumdownPosted 10/2/2012 8:43:21 PM
I made my "Denam" an "Archer". Once he obtain a "Rood Bow" it was much easier for me to build up his "Augment Light" with that weapon. By the time I was near the end of my 1st play-through I had 5 ranks in "Augment Light" and max the "Crossbow" skill

Still its your call though. Being a "Runes Fencer" is of, but as an "Archer" you will have more opportunities to attack. Thus building your skills up quicker.
---
{{If you "Act" up, then you must get "Jacked" up!}}
#3WindzAcerPosted 10/2/2012 10:06:13 PM(edited)
jeof96 posted...
So again, I started a new playthrough.
I started Denam as a Berserker.
I was debating with myself if I should make him a Rune Fencer or Berserker in the first place.

So early game, should I focus on Pure Melee for him, Or Should train his Augment Light?

If you make Denam as Berserker, it may be very difficult to up Augment Light due to several reasons. Berserker is very slow which means you can barely hit anything before the match ends, unless if you purposely drag on time to allow him to hit something, this way will take forever. Secondly the primary weapon selection of Berserker; Axe, Fist, Hammer don't have light element until atleast lvl 30 onwards, which is not early at all. Brilliant Dagger maybe your best bet at lvl 26. But again most weapons don't get light element until higher lvls. Of course you can always instill light but as mentioned earlier, unit speed is one thing to be considered.

Rune Fencer might be your earliest choice as he can spell spirit surge. Personally, what i did was wait till i have access to world, and scavenge Phaesta's rank 3 and start from there. By then my party is already 20+, so access to light weapons like Rood Bow etc is there, so i pick the weapon instead of class. Credits to beatumdown for his awesome thread below, so i didn't have to start from rank 1.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/999440-tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together/63779092

Alternatively, you can also Ninja Denam for his double attack, and instill light, this should be the fastest, cheapest and accessible very early in the game.
#4jeof96(Topic Creator)Posted 10/3/2012 4:43:09 AM
okay guys so here is my plan:

Berzerker > Ninja > Lord.
The problem is, how the hell would I grind his Augment Light?
---
Even though I can't Master it.
I can at LEAST do it.
#5gemeni_anoPosted 10/3/2012 5:34:20 AM
Scavenged a rank four of that by engaging the brigantys south curtain battle after the Uram battle at Bahanna Highlands at the start of chapter four.. Beware that this unit has 61-80 loyalty so "near death status" plus rank four anatomy to recruit them with ease.
---
"The winds of Hades, colder than a blizzard in the midst of winter!" - Soul King Brook, OP 661
#6beatumdownPosted 10/3/2012 6:25:41 AM
Scavenging the ranks is a good idea, but how you going to max the rest of the 4 ranks?

"coineineagh" has this thread on how to max your augments:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/999440-tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together/62813804

Here it is if interested, however I didn't want to do all that. I mean its effective and all, but its boring. Sorry COIN!!

a "Rune Fencers and Ninjas" especially the latter are great classes don't get me wrong. However the more often you have to hit something the quicker you build up the augments. Both of those classes have to get up close and personal to attack which takes time. Where an "Archer" gets in range with a "Rood Bow" (which is a light based weapon BTW) and shoot and almost don't have to move again unless something gets in the way. The point is they have more opportunities to hit the target.

"Rune Fencers" would build their "Augment Light" faster than a "Ninja" at least because they have access to "Divine Magic" early. They can spam "Boon of Swiftness" all day long.

"Ninja" will not see a light based katana till the "Shrines". You need 2 recipe books (that's right 2) to make a "Superior Brahma" You need "The Katana" recipe book which contains how to make "Brahma" (The 1st version). It drops from "Tlaloc" (big glowing octopi boss) from the "Water Shrine" (might take some luck and charioting), then you need the "Katana Enchiridian" to make the "Superior Brahma" which is found in "Phorompa Wildwoods" in the "Lie Down in Green Pasture" map (Slightly easier to get).

So a "Ninja" will not see his 1st and probably the class's only light based weapon for quite some time.

"Rood Bows" for an "Archer" are easy to get. At around level 26 or higher you will start to see enemy "Archers" in random encounters shooting them at you. Just have the "Recruit" ready to recruit somebody with one and their you go. No HUSS no FUSS. Heck you can use this while you are a "Lord" since the class can use any crossbow to.

It's your call though. At the end of the day ........ you can do whatever the @#$% YOU WANNA DO!!~Hodge Twins!!! LoL
---
#7beatumdownPosted 10/3/2012 6:39:44 AM
BTW check out "coineineagh" FAQ on skill improvement to. It's got some good stuff in their to:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/999440-tactics-ogre-let-us-cling-together/faqs/64858

Not only does it cover augments, but other skills to. He worked pretty hard on it. Great FAQ.

It will give you some insight on what path you want go with your arm's growth.
---
#8gemeni_anoPosted 10/3/2012 8:24:03 AM
Well scavenged that rank four then do coin's leveling tech for the remaining four using that unit so the time leveling it boringly will be halved.. XD
---
"The winds of Hades, colder than a blizzard in the midst of winter!" - Soul King Brook, OP 661
#9John_DakerPosted 10/3/2012 10:30:14 AM
regarding what beat said:

"Ninja" will not see a light based katana till the "Shrines". You need 2 recipe books (that's right 2) to make a "Superior Brahma" You need "The Katana" recipe book which contains how to make "Brahma" (The 1st version). It drops from "Tlaloc" (big glowing octopi boss) from the "Water Shrine" (might take some luck and charioting), then you need the "Katana Enchiridian" to make the "Superior Brahma" which is found in "Phorompa Wildwoods" in the "Lie Down in Green Pasture" map (Slightly easier to get).

that is all correct and true. I wanted to point out though that I wish Superior Brahma was Earth-based just like Brahma. In fact, I left my Brahma un-upgraded just because of this. Ninja do not have light-based spells. So if my ninja Hobryim cannot *quite* reach the target, at least I can cast Sand Spider and build up my Augment Earth a little. Also, the Brama can cast Vulcan missle spell. And he can wear Nathalork Rockcoat and Earthen Graves, and two Brama for +4 Augment Earth! (no access to Choker yet, still using the Katana earring).

side note, Olyvia is my other Ninja, using Superior Ghostblade (she is the Water sister after all) and Petridart blowgun.
#10beatumdownPosted 10/3/2012 10:51:14 AM
@John_Daker That's EXACTLY what I did. I made the "Superior Brahmas" mainly for "Denam's" sake. LoL.

I am in the process of making a "Cursed" weapon that's fire based to pair up with my "Shimmer Sword". Then he will be SICK. ^_^
---