Fun with Pumpkins

#1coineineaghPosted 12/3/2012 7:41:32 PM
I've been training my Pumpkinhead Elizaveta in order to be a permanent part of my attack roster, and I've been dogged with the Light/Dark dilemma.
Through skill training, bodyswapping and scavenging, Elizaveta is the happy inheritor of maxed Augment Fire, Augment Light, Anatomy, Thanatology, and Daemonology. She is also maxing out Spellbooks, Augment Darkness and Augment Water as I write this. Golemy isn't going as quickly as I hoped, though.

Anyway, the Light/Dark dilemma involves her spells and skills. The augments are mutually exclusive, so it's necessary to choose one and not the other:
LIGHT: Crystal Pumpkin, Light cudgels & finishers, healing, Boon of Swiftness, Femakk's Blowgun.
DARK: Pumpkin Strike!, Lingering Kiss (drain HP & max enemy timer), some dark utility spells, Rahula blowgun.
They are quite different in their options, so it's unclear which is best. Since a Witch's Empower Golem ability boosts the damage of melee and skills (but not finishers or magic), the skills are quite important. Empowered Pumpkin Strike! (range 5, area 2) is an old discovery: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/999440-/60808084

A while back I was wowed by the Pumpkin Bomb option, which seemed an alternative to Pumpkin Strike!: range 0 area 4. I was under the impression that I could reduce the Fire damage taken from this self-damaging explosion, but I discovered it doesn't have "suicidal" in its description for nothing. It always incapacitates the user, and surrounding damage is calculated separately. Attenuate Fire had no effect.

Skills that incapacitate the user are not my first choice, but then I thought about making it undead: An incap would just mean Stilled status, with little risk of losing a heart (although I should keep an eye out for Clerics). If I *zombify* my pumpkin, it will get an undead resurrection timer. Fortunately, only Human and Winged races register as Umbra race when zombified, otherwise a Zombie Pumpkinhead golem would miss out on Empower Golem effect from Warlock/Witch. I'll need to doublecheck this assumption soon.

But Undead have a major weakness against Light. Any schmuck with a Roodbow could possibly take Zombie Elizaveta out in one single shot. Then I thought about a weird build, where I equip Augment Light and Augment Fire on her. Undead are barred from using all Divine Magic, but they can still equip the magic and augment skills all the same. This again needs doublechecking, but I'm fairly certain because I recruited Skeleton Knights before.

So, I came up with a dead and living build for Elizaveta:

Zombie Elizaveta:
Augment Light
Attenuate Light (to further reduce damage from Light attacks)
Augment Fire
Fire Magic (can't use any Divine Magic, I think)
Cudgels for Lipul's Rod (multi-hit Light finishers are amazing by themselves, although they can't be Empowered)
Blowguns for Femakk's Blowgun [Gran Grimoire 2-handed spellbook is an interesting alternative]
Crystal Pumpkin
Pumpkin Bomb

Living Elizaveta:
Augment Darkness
Augment Water
Water Magic (Familiars can use Instill from the 6 elements, but not Light or Dark. Quench is nice for a little healing and removing poison too)
Dark Magic (Familiar can't use Drain spells, but Lingering Kiss makes up for this)
Hammers for Caldia Fan (although equipping the skill isn't strictly useful)
Blowguns for Rahula blowgun
Pumpkin Strike!
Lingering Kiss

Both setups take up 7-8 skill slots, so they're equally viable. The living version can do without Hammers skill, and equip Swiftfoot II, Fortify IV and Constitution IV, while the zombie will have to forgo a defense skill.
---
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good." - Thomas Paine
#2hauntbotPosted 12/4/2012 8:05:58 AM
very cool creative setups, coin. you also seem to have finally figured out a use for the attenuate skill! i like using zombie status to make the suicide less inconvenient. this also has me pondering how effective a zombie ninja with evanescence would be. XD

another thing i found out a while ago while trying to come up with an interesting build for white knight is that light and dark magic are mutually exclusive, but the augment skills arent. so you could have light magic for utility on a build with augment dark, a dark weapon and dark skills like pumpkin strike. of course this means giving up useful offensive light magic, but with so many interesting tp skills attacking to build tp or booning are already going to keep you plenty busy, so im not sure thats really too much of a sacrifice.
---
if youre 100% christian and proud put this in your sig
jesus gave humanity the golden rule for a reason. amen :)
#3coineineagh(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 6:56:14 PM
hauntbot posted...
an interesting build for white knight is that light and dark magic are mutually exclusive, but the augment skills arent. so you could have light magic for utility on a build with augment dark, a dark weapon and dark skills like pumpkin strike.

Thanks haunt.
To be precise, the magic commands are mutually exclusive, and the augments are too, but the 2 types don't affect each other. I've had cleric Warren with already maxed Light switch over to Augment Darkness, so he gets skill XP from whacking with a cursed dark cudgel, while still being able to heal with Divine Magic.

Zombie Elizaveta could technically equip Divine Magic, but I'm guessing all spells will be uncastable for her, because of her zombie status. I wonder why they even gave skeletons access to the Knight class at all. They should have a more practical option instead, like Warlock, Berserker or even Swordmaster.
---
#4DivineEdgePosted 12/4/2012 7:19:41 PM
Somewhat off-topic - but not t much. Skeletons should have gotten fallen hero as a class - a somewhat buffed up terror knight that is faster and has 2 skills - 1 to make it revive after one incapactiate counter passes (like reraise) and a skill that would give paranoia or stop to a unit. Ghosts should have gotten forgotten soul - be able to cast summons and have an ability that would let them cast a spell an enemy had against them for free - but a hefty Tp cost, of course.

Zombies can't cast divine magic last I checked.

I found being able to equip augment darkness and light magic together, but not being able to use light and dark magic/augment together weird. Intentional or oversight?
---
---Yesterday I wished for peace. Now I just wish for yesterday.
#5coineineagh(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 8:09:12 PM
DivineEdge posted...
I found being able to equip augment darkness and light magic together, but not being able to use light and dark magic/augment together weird. Intentional or oversight?

It makes sense. Darkness and Divine are supposed to represent strongly opposing forces, the magic and elements of good and evil, I guess. The oversight is more like the ability to equip a magic from one and the augment from another.

Some elements should be mutually exclusive too, although it would be unclear which elements are truly opposed. Fire vs. Water or Ice? Earth vs. Air or Water? And where does Lightning fit in?
---
#6grungolahPosted 12/4/2012 9:25:43 PM
coineineagh posted...
DivineEdge posted...

It makes sense. Darkness and Divine are supposed to represent strongly opposing forces, the magic and elements of good and evil, I guess. The oversight is more like the ability to equip a magic from one and the augment from another.

Some elements should be mutually exclusive too, although it would be unclear which elements are truly opposed. Fire vs. Water or Ice? Earth vs. Air or Water? And where does Lightning fit in?

Fire > Ice > Wind > Earth > Lightning > Water > Fire

That's the FFXI elemental wheel. You might notice a few thousand similarities between TO and FFXI.
#7DivineEdgePosted 12/5/2012 5:40:25 AM
Similar to what grungolah said, but I'd say only one of each -
Air or Earth
Lightning or Water
Fire or Ice
Light or Darkness

Based off of nothng but like common sense.
---
---Yesterday I wished for peace. Now I just wish for yesterday.
#8hauntbotPosted 12/5/2012 5:49:47 AM
coineineagh posted...
hauntbot posted...
an interesting build for white knight is that light and dark magic are mutually exclusive, but the augment skills arent. so you could have light magic for utility on a build with augment dark, a dark weapon and dark skills like pumpkin strike.

Thanks haunt.
To be precise, the magic commands are mutually exclusive, and the augments are too, but the 2 types don't affect each other. I've had cleric Warren with already maxed Light switch over to Augment Darkness, so he gets skill XP from whacking with a cursed dark cudgel, while still being able to heal with Divine Magic.

Zombie Elizaveta could technically equip Divine Magic, but I'm guessing all spells will be uncastable for her, because of her zombie status. I wonder why they even gave skeletons access to the Knight class at all. They should have a more practical option instead, like Warlock, Berserker or even Swordmaster.

yeah i threw the divine/dark thing out there for a potential third option. it wouldnt work well with the zombie idea.
---
if youre 100% christian and proud put this in your sig
jesus gave humanity the golden rule for a reason. amen :)